Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beeping noise coming from house alarm (internal)

Options
  • 05-06-2008 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭

For the past 2 days or so, the internal alarm thingy located on our landing is emitting a high pitched beep every 40 seconds or so. My first thoughts were that his was a warning that they battery needed to be changed, but as the alarm is run off the mains (:rolleyes:), that can't be it.

There's a button on the alarm unit that is used to test the alarm and I've pressed that a couple of times to see if that would solve the issue, but no joy.

I've also cut off all the power via the fuseboard, but the beep returns when I switch back on again.

Anyone got any ideas coz it's driving us crazy?!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Your smoke alarm needs a new 9v battery, the alarm is mains powered with battery back up. in case you didn't know, the 9v batteries are the rectangular ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭madds

Thank you Sir. Problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,580 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Is this case also true of intruder alarms? Mine did the same last night for hours on end but stopped today.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Looby_Loo

My intruder alarm does that when the power goes- I have to put in the code to stop it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,580 ✭✭✭veryangryman

I actually want rid of the alarm. Is there any way of just like...smashing it up or what not. I got it as part of the gaff i bought but i dont particularly want it. I rang the guys who are over it but they wont go out since i dont have service contract. Talk about kicking people when their down. Any suggestions to solve this?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I actually want rid of the alarm. Is there any way of just like...smashing it up or what not. I got it as part of the gaff i bought but i dont particularly want it. I rang the guys who are over it but they wont go out since i dont have service contract. Talk about kicking people when their down. Any suggestions to solve this?

Either get it repaired or get it powered down.
    I dont unstand the mentality of I have an alarm but i dont want it!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

koolkid wrote: »
    Either get it repaired or get it powered down.
    I dont unstand the mentality of I have an alarm but i dont want it!!!

In the hope that you might some day understand the "mentality of I have an alarm but i dont want it!!!" let me explain a little.

These yokes are anti social and pretty useless when they go off. They are not a deterrant to thieves and if a thief really wants your stuff he will get it. The Gardai have other things to be doing and if they do arrive at the scene the intruders will have long gone with your valuables.

The guy clearly stated the alarm was in the house when he bought it and simply does not want it.

Now that the leaving exams are over you could concentrate on these nuggets of information.

The only benefit in these alarms is to the suppliers and installers.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

There has to be some form of deterrent factor to having an alarm. Also reduces your home insurance. And I would hope that an intruder would leg it on hearing an alarm, rather then prowling around the house looking for stuff. Finally would wake me up if it went off as well. So not quite useless.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Heinrich wrote: »
    In the hope that you might some day understand the "mentality of I have an alarm but i dont want it!!!" let me explain a little.
    Sorry but I'll never understand that statement
    These yokes are anti social and pretty useless
    So are the scumbags who break into your house.
    They are not a deterrant to thieves and if a thief really wants your stuff he will get it.
    Using that logic you should just leave your front door open that way they will do less damage.
    The only benefit in these alarms is to the suppliers and installers.

Insurance companys & the stats prove this statement incorrect.

MarkR wrote: »
    There has to be some form of deterrent factor to having an alarm. Also reduces your home insurance. And I would hope that an intruder would leg it on hearing an alarm, rather then prowling around the house looking for stuff. Finally would wake me up if it went off as well. So not quite useless.

Ofcourse its a deterrant insurance companys dont give discounts for nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

koolkid wrote: »
    Ofcourse its a deterrant insurance companys dont give discounts for nothing.

Really? Well let's see what the stats are for burglers legging it when the alarm goes off? I suppose you guys can provide some as you brought it up! Now there's an alarm system in an apartment block car parking in St Margarets which goes off at least once a week and blares until one of the residents phones the mamagement company to come and turn it off. The parking is riddled with graffiti and kids play football etc in the confines.

As for insurance discounts - they give them to women drivers, over 25s, non smokers etc. That is a marketing ploy and if you had a scenario where everybody had a burglar alarm would the discounts be forthcoming? I don't see that as a good argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭Clink

I lived in an alarmed house that was broken into before. If anything all the alarm did was help the burglar. The girl who owned the house insisted that we lock our bedroom doors when not at home. So we all did just that and headed off for the weekend. Mr Burglar comes along, the sound of the alarm covered up the noise of him kicking down everyone one of the doors in the house.

The alarm continued to ring for the entire weekend (drove the neighbours demented). Not once did it occur to anyone to ring the guards. If there had of been no alarm chances are someone would have heard the noise of the doors being demolished and done something about it.

QED alarms are anti-social and pointless.

Really? Well let's see what the stats are for burglers legging it when the alarm goes off?
    Its 90% of homes broken into have no alarm.. So burglers running off is irrelevant.
    Now there's an alarm system in an apartment block car parking in St Margarets which goes off at least once a week and blares until one of the residents phones the mamagement company to come and turn it off. The parking is riddled with graffiti and kids play football etc in the confines.

One alarm?? whats your point here.
    As for insurance discounts - they give them to women drivers, over 25s, non smokers etc.
    Non smokers????? whos gives this I will be switching.
    The reason the give women drivers reductions is be cause that stats show they are a lower risk. Exactly the point I was making thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

If a burglar is going to break into a house they will pick the one without an alarm first. Personally when I go to bed at night and switch on my alarm it give me great satisfaction knowing that if someone decides to break in I'm going to know about it and not wake up with a junkie looking over me in bed.

All alarms should be monitored, by a central station, text or voice. This ensures a reaction to the activation. If any of my neighbours alarms activate I'll have a quick look around their house and most of the time I'll meet another neighbour doing the same.

The security industry isn't a huge industry for nothing. Insurance companies don't give discounts for nothing. It's all based on risk assessments. If you don't have an alarm you're much more likely to be burgled than somebody that hasn't.

I meet people everyday who have been broken into. Their attitudes are always the same.
    We should have got an alarm long go.
    We never thought it would happen to us.
    I dont blame people like this for not having an alarm. Its part of the Irish attitude it will never happen to me.
    But having an alarm & powering it down just to make some sort of point about them being unsociable is just plain stupid. If its not working right get it fixed. If you want it to get a response get it monitored.If you dont want to pay for it to be monitored (Maybe thats anti social as well) get a voice or text dialler.

Advertisement