Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this worth it?

Options
  • 05-06-2008 4:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭

Well, I came into town at two all ready to get my tattoo in Zulu in temple bar at 2pm, but after being told it would be 30-60 minutes wait constant delays kept setting them back, it hit 4pm and I was told that some customers had come in that were in this morning and they get priority (I wish I had been told that before waiting for two hours) but it was only going to be about 40 minutes, so I was about all set to wait as I'd been there for two hours. 20 minutes passed and I thought I'd pop out and get some fresh air, so I asked the guy if he could give me a time to get back at (can't remember his name but I think he's Polish?) and I was told half 6...

Now I have dinner booked with the girlfriend for 5 so I don't really want to rush it, but I'm sitting here in an internet caffe wondering if it's worth the hasle or should I go elsewhere?

I did look at the guys portfolio and I was very impressed and I don't want you guys thinking I'm badmouthing the place because I have seen a lot of good work come out of there, but I'm really not impressed by the way I have been treated so far.

So, is it worth the wait or shall I call this off for another day?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Bring your money elsewhere, somewhere where you will be treated a lot better...

Did you book a session with them? If so thats even worse imo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Terrible treatment, If you were booked in at 2 then that 4 and a halfs hours your waiting, I know you were probably all excited about getting your tattoo today and dont want to leave town without one but go somewhere else now and get booked in for Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I'd say make an appointment and call back, or go on one of their "walk in" days.
    If you didn't have an appointment, this would only be to be expected. If you did have an appointment, then it's taking the p!ss...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Captain Ginger

Thanks for the advice, I'm going to see how things pan out over dinner, but there is no chance I'm going to rush it to line their pockets.

In all fairness I didn't have an appointment, but then again I shouldn't of been told I could get it at a set time if they were not going to honor their word.

I'm not in much of a rush to get it anyway, but with work as hectic as it is and trying to sell our house I don't get much time.

Slightly offtopic here, but is there another place in the green besides Celestial ring?

I'm only getting a small portion of a final work today so it should only take half an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Don't think there is in the green, but if you pop down towards Temple Bar, you've a few good ones to choose from.

• Advertisement

Don't think there is in the green, but if you pop down towards Temple Bar, you've a few good ones to choose from.
    Rightyo then, off to dinner for me, hopefully I'll be able to contribute to the sticked thread tonight, if not it's another time then.

I am in an odd way happy this happened, because and minor doubts I had about getting this have completely vanished now.

A little update, we had dinner and finished early so I decided to go get it done.

The guy was Hungarian and as I said he had a really good portfolio but he wasn't very talkative and didn't bother explaining what he was going to do (not that I didn't know, but still...), I guess a lot of this could be chalked up to his English being pretty poor, and I can't really hold that against him.

Came to 80 euro in the end and I tipped a tenner, but looking back on it I don't think it was deserved.

At the end of the day I am thrilled with the tattoo to bits, however the service left a lot to be desired.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭bwardrop

I had a similar, but more prolonged experience in a very well known tattoo studio in Waterford City.

I had been considering my second tattoo for about 12months, had a design in mind, but wanted some professional help getting it sorted. I did an extensive search online and gathered together a selection of pictures that were similar to, or had elements of, what I wanted. I put them all together in a document and annotated them, highlighting what I liked about them. I rang the studio and booked a consultation.

When I arrived for my consultation, the main artist was busy. He popped over, asked me what I wanted and abruptly told me that he found that style of tattoo boring and wasn't interested (fair enough, don't want a tattoo done by someone who is not into it). He did say that the other artist in the studio would help me out and that I should email him the document and a description of what I wanted. I went home a little disappointed, but sent the email immediately.

I got a reply two weeks later form the artist saying that he would put something together ASAP - I replied saying thanks and that I was really looking forward to seeing what he came up with. Another 3 weeks passed and I emailed again to see if there was any progress. A few days later I got a design back that was good, but not great.

I printed it out, added a bit, removed a bit and just generally tweaked it. I sent it back to see what the artist thought. Another 2 or 3 weeks passed and I heard nothing. I was in town and called in to the studio. The artist was there and apologized, saying that they were really busy and that he would attend to it that evening...

No reply the next day so I sent another email - a little less polite (but not rude) than my previous ones, saying how disappointed I was. The artist emailed me back that evening (funny how he could reply quickly when he was being challenged) saying that I was rude and that I didn't understand the process of getting a tattoo... He said I should have booked a consultation if I wanted to sort out the design!!!!!!! Arrrrggggghhhh :mad:

Anyway, I emailed him back, reiterating the chain of events that had got us to this point and mentioned that, as the artist, if he was not happy with how things were going, why didn't he suggest I come in to see him - he persisted with the email communication, that was initiated on the advice of the studio, but somehow this was my error...

I politely ended the whole farce, saying that I could no longer work with an artist who had such a lack of interest in his clients . As a consumer, I have never been treated with such little respect.

Anyway - I am booked in to another studio in Waterford City tomorrow morning :D. The guys in the other studio were all sound out - really approachable and friendly. It made such a difference and I am really excited...

I'll post a picture tomorrow evening!

bwardrop wrote: »
    I had a similar, but more prolonged experience in a very well known tattoo studio in Waterford City.

I had been considering my second tattoo for about 12months, had a design in mind, but wanted some professional help getting it sorted. I did an extensive search online and gathered together a selection of pictures that were similar to, or had elements of, what I wanted. I put them all together in a document and annotated them, highlighting what I liked about them. I rang the studio and booked a consultation.

When I arrived for my consultation, the main artist was busy. He popped over, asked me what I wanted and abruptly told me that he found that style of tattoo boring and wasn't interested (fair enough, don't want a tattoo done by someone who is not into it). He did say that the other artist in the studio would help me out and that I should email him the document and a description of what I wanted. I went home a little disappointed, but sent the email immediately.

I got a reply two weeks later form the artist saying that he would put something together ASAP - I replied saying thanks and that I was really looking forward to seeing what he came up with. Another 3 weeks passed and I emailed again to see if there was any progress. A few days later I got a design back that was good, but not great.

I printed it out, added a bit, removed a bit and just generally tweaked it. I sent it back to see what the artist thought. Another 2 or 3 weeks passed and I heard nothing. I was in town and called in to the studio. The artist was there and apologized, saying that they were really busy and that he would attend to it that evening...

No reply the next day so I sent another email - a little less polite (but not rude) than my previous ones, saying how disappointed I was. The artist emailed me back that evening (funny how he could reply quickly when he was being challenged) saying that I was rude and that I didn't understand the process of getting a tattoo... He said I should have booked a consultation if I wanted to sort out the design!!!!!!! Arrrrggggghhhh :mad:

Anyway, I emailed him back, reiterating the chain of events that had got us to this point and mentioned that, as the artist, if he was not happy with how things were going, why didn't he suggest I come in to see him - he persisted with the email communication, that was initiated on the advice of the studio, but somehow this was my error...

I politely ended the whole farce, saying that I could no longer work with an artist who had such a lack of interest in his clients . As a consumer, I have never been treated with such little respect.

Anyway - I am booked in to another studio in Waterford City tomorrow morning :D. The guys in the other studio were all sound out - really approachable and friendly. It made such a difference and I am really excited...

I'll post a picture tomorrow evening!

Great to hear you got it sorted with another studio in the end, I look forward to seeing it, from what you have said a lot of thought went into it and it sound well cool.

Don't leave me hanging like they did to you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭bwardrop

Just back - pic in new thread called "Swineline Rocks"

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

A little update, we had dinner and finished early so I decided to go get it done.

The guy was Hungarian and as I said he had a really good portfolio but he wasn't very talkative and didn't bother explaining what he was going to do (not that I didn't know, but still...), I guess a lot of this could be chalked up to his English being pretty poor, and I can't really hold that against him.

Came to 80 euro in the end and I tipped a tenner, but looking back on it I don't think it was deserved.

At the end of the day I am thrilled with the tattoo to bits, however the service left a lot to be desired.

Do you by any chance remember this guy's name? I think he did a tattoo for me last sunday. I was going in with a friend to get her tattoo done, and saw his portfolio and he had a free slot so I thought what the hell (I've been carrying the design around for a while) 'Twas my third tattoo, but first in Zulu, and have to say I'll be heading back to Colourworks for anything else I get done. I paid 200 for the tat, (I'll stick a pic in the sticky thread if I can work out how! :o) and it only took about an hour, so I think I was pretty ripped off, although the tat is gorgeous. Is expensive for an hours work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

wow, pretty expensive for an hours work... most expensive ive heard of in dublin anyway

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Fudge, thought so! :( W*nkers!! Ah well, I'm happy with it, so that's the main thing, but I had to knock about 80 off the price when my OH asked how much it had cost.:p

Toots85 wrote: »
    Fudge, thought so! :( W*nkers!! Ah well, I'm happy with it, so that's the main thing, but I had to knock about 80 off the price when my OH asked how much it had cost.:p

200? Jesus.... I saw the tattoo you're talking about and it does look great, but I think we got different people because mine was only 80 for what looks to be the same amount of work maybe give or take 15 minutes.

200 euros is crazy money though, I can't remember his name but he was fairly tall, had blond hair and his English isn't great.

His portfolio is in a little book with photographs.

Same guy?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

yikes toots!

i got one done in zulu, and he quoted me about €350 for the piece. it ended up taking tonnes longer than anticipated, about 10hrs over 3 days, and he only charged me what he'd initially said.

200? Jesus.... I saw the tattoo you're talking about and it does look great, but I think we got different people because mine was only 80 for what looks to be the same amount of work maybe give or take 15 minutes.

200 euros is crazy money though, I can't remember his name but he was fairly tall, had blond hair and his English isn't great.

His portfolio is in a little book with photographs.

Same guy?

Yup, sounds like him alright!!! His quietness really threw me for a loop though, cos I'm really chatty so it was the most awkward hour of my life!! I'd say it was cos of his english though, cos he kept asking me was my leg hard and it was only after a while I worked out he meant was it getting stiff from the way I was sitting.:o He was a nice guy though. Feckin 200euro .......... *grumbles*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

Yup, sounds like him alright!!! His quietness really threw me for a loop though, cos I'm really chatty so it was the most awkward hour of my life!! I'd say it was cos of his english though, cos he kept asking me was my leg hard and it was only after a while I worked out he meant was it getting stiff from the way I was sitting.:o He was a nice guy though. Feckin 200euro .......... *grumbles*
    was there a price list for that tattoist parlour,usually its on the reception.
    It seems to me you never asked how much it would cost before ye got ye tattoo.
    nice tattoos though!
    but tattooist prices vary from min €80 -€120 an hour.
    €200 is a bit steep alright i dont know why.
    was it Sammy or Heather Hodman did yours?

No, I asked beforehand. I was flush at the time so just paid without giving it a second thought. I heard Zulu are meant to be expensive, and there was no price list up. It was also the first colour piece I've had done, so I figured the colour may make it dearer. That said, despite the ripoff I'm delighted with the tat, it's beautiful. I just wouldn't go near them again :p I don't know the guy's name who did it, he wasn't very talkative, and I never thought to ask. Back to Darren in Colourworks from now on! :):cool:

edit: I was a walk-in on a sunday, so not sure if that had anything to do with it.

No, I asked beforehand. I was flush at the time so just paid without giving it a second thought. I heard Zulu are meant to be expensive, and there was no price list up. It was also the first colour piece I've had done, so I figured the colour may make it dearer. That said, despite the ripoff I'm delighted with the tat, it's beautiful. I just wouldn't go near them again :p I don't know the guy's name who did it, he wasn't very talkative, and I never thought to ask. Back to Darren in Colourworks from now on! :):cool:

edit: I was a walk-in on a sunday, so not sure if that had anything to do with it.
    at least you got it done and your happy with ye tattoo.
    swineline have a good reputation with their work which ive seen.
    im sure kastro is a tattooist there and ive seen his work and very good stuff hes done.
    darren in colour works has great stuff too and i have website if it helps.
    http://www.colourworkstattoostudio.com/

Thank u!!!! I've been trying to find that website for ages!! Darren did my first two tattoos, and couldn't recommend him highly enough!

• Advertisement

>_<

darren did your first two tattoos, and then wehn you do something with colour, you go elsewhere?!

>_< :P

Lol! I know!!! The newest one was really a spur of the moment thing, I'd had the design in my bag for ages, planning to bring it in to Darren at some stage, but then was going in with a friend to get her tattoo, so I got it done there. In fairness, the guy's portfolio was very good.

>_<

darren did your first two tattoos, and then wehn you do something with colour, you go elsewhere?!

>_< :P
    why not crumble?:rolleyes:
    i go to differant ones,nothing wrong with that?:cool:

Lol! I know!!! The newest one was really a spur of the moment thing, I'd had the design in my bag for ages, planning to bring it in to Darren at some stage, but then was going in with a friend to get her tattoo, so I got it done there. In fairness, the guy's portfolio was very good.

Did you see the tattoo of the guy with the shredded wings and torn up clothes?

Don't know why but I couldn't stop looking at it.

Alan Ford wrote: »
    why not crumble?:rolleyes:
    i go to differant ones,nothing wrong with that?:cool:

cos darren in colourworks is an artist s/he worked with not only twice, but is an absolutely fantastic artist. i think s/he knows well what i meant, in that of all his/her tats that s/he should have gone to darren for the colour one :D

just a bit ironic or something,t hat's all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Photoguy

OP: glad ya got it done in the end and are happy with the result, dont tip ppl like this though, now he thinks you got good service when you clearly didnt.
    its funny how we have just accepted the tipping culture in ireland, a few years ago it was unheard of and then started with 'tipping for good service only' not its widespread, we just do it as a matter of fact.
    really doesnt sound like they deserved your extra tenner tho.

Photoguy wrote: »
    OP: glad ya got it done in the end and are happy with the result, dont tip ppl like this though, now he thinks you got good service when you clearly didnt.
    its funny how we have just accepted the tipping culture in ireland, a few years ago it was unheard of and then started with 'tipping for good service only' not its widespread, we just do it as a matter of fact.
    Well what happened was he was halfway through it, and one of the other people wanted to cash up for the night so he asked if I could pay him (mid tattoo) I wasn't too happy about it but went along and thought I'd tip him to make him happy and maybe do a better job :p

Photoguy wrote: »
    i always give a tip to my tattooist for making me comfortable,cups of tea and smoke etc.

Alan Ford wrote: »
    i always give a tip to my tattooist for making me comfortable,cups of tea and smoke etc.
    Wow, sounds like you get treated really well!

• Advertisement

Wow, sounds like you get treated really well!
    like a king love!

Advertisement