Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

SGS Driving Test Centre

Options
  • 05-06-2008 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

I just did my driving test again today and failed, i did it in one of these sgs test centres, i think they are a <SNIP>, they seem to fail alot of people in order to create more revenue for the government, i did my test today, drove perfectly, reversed around the corner, 3 point turn, exactly etc etc, ok i got 1 sign wrong but hay! when we got back the instructor lectured me about going through a green light at a cross roads and not checking to make sure the lights for the cars going in the opposite direction were red, i mean they seem to just make up their own rules as they go along. firstly you can never see the lights in the other direction and secondly he has no right to lecture me over my driving, as far as i am concerned i drove perfectly as i have done for the past 6 yrs. how do i complain about these test centre instructors. i was so anoyed with him i asked him his name and told him i would report him.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

What exactly were you failed on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

beebaw wrote: »
    I just did my driving test again today and failed, i did it in one of these sgs test centres, i think they are a <SNIP>, they seem to fail alot of people in order to create more revenue for the government

Typical response of someone who has failed. Why do some people blame everyone but themselves?
    when we got back the instructor lectured me...he has no right to lecture me over my driving
    Firstly he is not an instructor, he is a tester. Secondly if he is able to determine whether you are fit to be on the road or not then he is able to "lecture" you over your driving. He isn't actually supposed to tell you where you went wrong but maybe he thought it would be nice to give you a few pointers?

as far as i am concerned
    As far as you were concerned yes, but it is the tester's opinion that determines if you pass or fail.
    i drove perfectly as i have done for the past 6 yrs.

You may have 6 years worth of bad habits? Did you get any lessons? There is a difference between driving and driving properly. Anyone can get in a car and make it move from A to B. It is how you do it that counts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

OP, that flies in the face of all my recent information. I have heard of only two people (you included) in the last three months to have failed. ( Pat ran a red during his test.) I was of the opinion that they were working hard at shortening the list by being 10-15% more lenient.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I done mine with SGS yesterday and passed. The bloke was sound. They have a job to do and they do it.

What exactly did you fail on??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

if anything ive heard the sgs test centres are easier to pass in and testers are nicer. Like loads of people i know done the test in sgs and have passed. MAybe go back and do a few pre tests and more lesson and you will pass next time around, no point blaming the tester whats done is done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Some driving instructors are <SNIP> it cannot be denied. A bit of it comes down to luck of which one you get.

OP, if you genuinely feel you were failed unfairly, appeal it to the District Court. You will still have to resit the test but your money will be refunded

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

The op has been a perfect driver for 6 years? :rolleyes:
    I don't know of one person that does not make mistakes once in a while, no matter how experienced they are(except the op of course).

What the tester probably meant is that at a cross roads you should still look left and right even if your light is green.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Some driving instructors are <SNIP>, it cannot be denied.

The you should get a new driving instructor.You are paying him for lessons so change instructor if you are not getting your moneys worth. Then when you sit your test with a driving tester you will have a better chance of passing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 dranahs89

Well I Did My Test With Them,i Was Only 17 And I Passed...so Obviously,you Just Cant Drive So U Should Just Give Up And Stope Making Excuses ..get Over It,u Failed.. Ha Hate That

tuxy wrote: »
    The you should get a new driving instructor.You are paying him for lessons so change instructor if you are not getting your moneys worth. Then when you sit your test with a driving tester you will have a better chance of passing.

I think he meant examiner....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Ya dranahs89, you are right. You SHOULD build a bridge, and jump.

The poster failed, but it doesn't mean he isn't a good driver. He just needs to improve on areas so he can pass again.

Have some respect, not everybody passes everything first time.

He has been formally warned

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

they seem to fail alot of people
    The examiners don't fail people. People fail people.

in order to create more revenue for the government
    The classic response used by many of those who aren't up to scratch.

i did my test today, drove perfectly
    If you drove perfectly you would have passed. I don't know anyone who drives perfectly.
    when we got back the instructor lectured me
    Presumably you mean the examiner?

not checking to make sure the lights for the cars going in the opposite direction were red
    It seems that you drove through a green light crossroads without checking if traffic coming from the opposite side had stopped.

Have you ever heard of faulty lights?

A green light does not mean you may automatically proceed!
    they seem to just make up their own rules as they go along
    It's highly regulated. Perhaps you could tell us what rules were made up as you went along?

firstly you can never see the lights in the other direction
    All the more reason why one should exercise caution!
    secondly he has no right to lecture me over my driving
    He was probably giving you advise, although it seems that he was wasting his time.
    as far as i am concerned
    The driving test is a statutory requirement to earn a Certificate of Competency. Your concern is irrelevant.
    i drove perfectly
    Most drivers think they are perfect. Many of the drivers killed on our roads each year think that they drive perfectly. The statistics would suggest otherwise. I have a full licence in all categories and have over 20 years experience but I don't drive perfectly, nor do I think I do.
    as i have done for the past 6 yrs.
    You appear to have learned very little during you 'perfect' six years.
    how do i complain about these test centre instructors.
    You are entitled to apply to the District Court if you think that your test was carried out incorrectly. The result of the test cannot be overturned but, if the District Court judge agrees that you test was not conducted correctly, you may be assigned a new test under a new examiner, without further charge.
    i was so anoyed with him i asked him his name and told him i would report him.
    At least the would have had something entertaining to talk about during their coffee break!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

you genuinely feel you were failed unfairly, appeal it to the District Court. You will still have to resit the test but your money will be refunded
    "Your money" will not be refunded. If the District Court judge feels that the test was carried out innapropriately, a further test is arranged without FURTHER charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Eilismoran

I , drove perfectly, as far as i am concerned i drove perfectly as i have done for the past 6 yrs. .

If you have been driving for 6 years, why have you left it so long to apply for your test, shouldnt you have done it years ago? If you drove perfectly you would have passed and obviously the examiner didnt think you a safe and competant driver so my advise is to stop moaning about it, dont bother complaining it will cause you more hassle than its worth, get some more pre test lessons and improve on what you got wrong the last time and do it again, suck it up, loads of people fail, its only going to be a big deal if you make it into one and the more nervous your gonna be for your re sit.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I found the SGS examiner to be much more pleasant and professional than the RSA guys. The result was that I wasn't unduly nervous and was able to concentrate on driving. I failed with the RSA guys four times, but each time I failed it was a clear mistake I'd made. Blaming the tester only wastes your own time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

Red Alert wrote: »
    I found the SGS examiner to be much more pleasant and professional than the RSA guys. The result was that I wasn't unduly nervous and was able to concentrate on driving. I failed with the RSA guys four times, but each time I failed it was a clear mistake I'd made. Blaming the tester only wastes your own time.

Everything I've heard has been along the lines that the SGS testers are far better than the RSA testers.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭lad12

When you fail Why are the testers not permitted to disclose were you went wrong in the test?

How are you supposed to know were abouts along the route you got marked on?

I dont see how you can improve on your driving when they dont tell you what you did worng? or where on the route..

I have seen a copy of the marking sheet..It doesnt clearly tell you where you went wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Failing is a kick in the nuts. You are going to feel angry and cross with everyone but yourself. However, this will wear off and, hopefully, you will realise that you need to examine yourself and your driving habits.

Staying mad at the test centre will serve no useful purpose and will distract you from going back to basics and improving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

Sorry to hear you failed dude. Best thing to do is reapply and get a few lessons. No point in being angry at the world over it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I think a lot of the comments are a little harsh. If I were to offer some advice it would be this, don't assume that SGS testers are any more leniant than RSA, if they see afault they will mark it.
    They may be more friendly and give you some feedback at the end, but I think it is a myth that they are more leniant.

Anyway, now you know where you went wrong, apply again (today) and if you concentrate on where you got faults then you are well on the way to passing next time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Everything I have heard and read suggests SGS centers have a higher pass rate than RSA centers.

Seems like this is just another I failed rant.

Did you do and pre-tests or lessons before the test?

Either way I suggest you get a couple more before your re-test?

You can complain and try get another test without further charge if you wish. It wouldn't be worth the hassle to me and I imagine it is very difficult to prove you were tested unfairly. Your word against theirs situation.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Everything I have heard and read suggests SGS centers have a higher pass rate than RSA centers.

Seems like this is just another I failed rant.

Did you do and pre-tests or lessons before the test?

Either way I suggest you get a couple more before your re-test?

You can complain and try get another test without further charge if you wish. It wouldn't be worth the hassle to me and I imagine it is very difficult to prove you were tested unfairly. Your word against theirs situation.

Are there any actual Stats to suggest that there is a higer pass rate at SGS?

I don't think there are. I don't think the SGS testers are any less competent and if they see a fault they will mark it.

I did my test with them and I don't think they let anything go. It would be serious case of incompetence if they were passing people they should be failing and in that case they should lose their contract. The rules are pretty black and white.

I do think they are more friendly and do make a genuine effort to put you at ease while still remaining professional and impartial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

adrian522 wrote: »
    Are there any actual Stats to suggest that there is a higer pass rate at SGS?

I don't think there are. I don't think the SGS testers are any less competent and if they see a fault they will mark it.

I did my test with them and I don't think they let anything go. It would be serious case of incompetence if they were passing people they should be failing and in that case they should lose their contract. The rules are pretty black and white.

I do think they are more friendly and do make a genuine effort to put you at ease while still remaining professional and impartial.

I'm not saying the SGS are any less competent, the OP was looking to blame the SGS for his test fail as some kind of funding of exercise. The facts below would seem to suggest they are passing more people and therefore earning less money (as people only sit one test) than the RSA centers. My point was that the OP suggestion that SGS failed them as some kind of funding exercise is wrong and that the OP should take more lessons before their next test.

I did my test with them also. I found them friendly but I couldn't say if they are more friendly as I only met one tester, and I never dealt with the RSA.

From the Irish Examiner
    The Irish Examiner revealed last week that there are dramatic variations in pass rates between test centres operated by the RSA and SGS. On average, 65.3% of motorists who sit the test at SGS centres obtain a pass compared with just 51.5% at RSA-operated centres.

Independent

Irish Times
    Statewide, according to the most up-to-date information available from June, the pass rate at SGS centres is slightly higher at 57 per cent compared than the average of 52 per cent at RSA centres around the Republic.

All after a very quick google.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

I think a large part of it could be because they're more friendly in SGS. It puts people at ease. There's some awful **** conducting tests in the RSA.

Statewide, according to the most up-to-date information available from June, the pass rate at SGS centres is slightly higher at 57 per cent compared than the average of 52 per cent at RSA centres around the Republic.
    I wouldn't take a 5% difference in the two mean very much to be honest. There was always going to be a difference, i think it's more coincidental than anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭My name is Mud

I have a little sympathy for the original poster, coming from my experience with the driving test system here.

I passed on my third go, back in 1998.

My first two attempts, I honestly thought I passed. The fail report had things like "steering faults" and "dashboard controls". Fair enough points from an official standpoint, but in reality?

I had my hands in the correct positions all the time, and I drove quite smoothly. The two testers who failed me on those occasions couldn't actually pinpoint a single area that needed improvement, when I asked.

Then the third time (which I passed), I got the hand signals wrong, bumped the kerb TWICE on the turnabout, and all-in-all, really fecked it up with a very poor drive. It was bumpy, non-controlled, and generally rubbish.

But he passed me.

Go figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 HungryJoe

Snakeblood wrote: »
    Everything I've heard has been along the lines that the SGS testers are far better than the RSA testers.

I passed my test with SGS today, it was my second attempt (I failed with the RSA a few years ago) and I'd agree with everyone who said SGS are fairer and more professional than the RSA.

I actually thought I'd failed again today cos I made loads of minor mistakes, but I actually only came out with one fault (a grade 2 for braking a bit suddenly). She asked me where the steering fluid was and I hadn't a clue but, fair play to her, she didn't fault me for it. And I stalled the car at one stage, but I immediately applied the handbrake, stuck it in neutral, and restarted the engine (normally I'd just apply the clutch and footbrake lol) and she didn't fault me. I'm pretty sure I would've picked up a few grade 2s if I'd done that with the RSA. And they'd probably have faulted me a few times for not using the rear-view mirrors as often as I could've...

I was pretty surprised when she told me I'd passed. I told her I was sure I'd failed cos I was nervous and had driven badly, but she said she felt completely safe with me at all times. We had a little chat about all the mistakes I thought I'd made and she was very complimentary about my driving - I kinda got the impression she didn't want to fail me if she could help it.

Sorry for the loser-length post, I just wanted to say that my experience confirmed what several people have said about SGS: all they really care about is whether you're a safe driver. If they think you'll be a danger to other people they'll fail you, but if it's clear that you know what you're doing they won't give you a load of faults for minor stuff like not knowing where your steering fluid goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

I just did my driving test again today and failed, ...
    i drove..as i have done for the past 6 yrs.
    i was so anoyed .
    I'd be annoyed with myself too if I'd assumed I was going to pass purely on the basis of 6 years bad habits and my own slightly biased perception of my own perfection.

Had much the same spiel from a cousin recently. He shut up within a minute of asking simple quesions. He hadnt a clue.

W.A. has 2 years on me in terms of experience but I can remember almost every detail and mistake I made on my test, and I certainly did not drive perfectly. I can also remember many since then.

You will never improve until you can recognise your mistakes.
    UK stats show less than 1% pass without any fault. I doubt you made it in to that percentage.

Advertisement