Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nct tester taking pictures...

Options
  • 05-06-2008 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭

A quick "what would you do" one here

I had my car Nct'd,upon watching it i noticed some discussion between other testers over in the corner,one guy then takes out his phone and walked around the car snapping a couple of sly pics in the reg (this wasnt the guy testing the car btw)

I asked the tester what was the story with someone taking pictures and he said he just loves certain cars.I had to go into the front desk either ways as they made a balls of the cert and complained there,the wench behind the counter asked who took a picture,i pointed the guy out and she walked out then came back in and just said,"he doesnt have your reg" adn went back to my original problem with the cert.

I dunno if im being over paronoid but working in car security i hear alot of stories on how peoples cars are being stolen ect ect and just dont like the idea of someone snapping pictures on the sly when the details of the owner are openly available to them at the click of a button,granted were not talking about a car worth hundreds of thousands but theres not many of them floating about none the less.

Anyways would you esculate this with head office or put it down to paranoia?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

I would follow up higher up the chain.

It's not on.

Worst case scenario, he is keeping an eye out for cars for someone else, and is paid to come up with the goods..e.g. someone slips him a few quid for pics of required cars supplied along side home address of the car etc.

If he likes cars that much he can go to forecourts and take snaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

What's the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

Wouldn't be happy about that either, and would certainly complain about it to someone higher up.

What car is it out of interest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

i take pictures of cars i like, if the drivers around ofcourse you ask permission.

generally if its a pic with the reg i give details of myself so they know im not a car criminal...

this is quite roppy to be honest....

notify the gardi though theres not alot they can do without a pic of the fella

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

Its an Accord Euro R

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,404 ✭✭✭fletch

On the flip side...I was in an NCT test centre quite recently and some chap was taking pictures of his car as it went through the NCT. All of a sudden, the tester spotted him and came running over to the window gesturing at him to stop taking pictures :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

I would NOT be happy at all with the photo taking, especially if your registration was visible.

Firstly; they are sub-contracted by the government, which IMO makes it highly unacceptable & unprofessional.

Secondly; it instantly brings forth thoughts of waiter/bar-person/shop-keep type card skimming stories!

Rash jumped-to conclusion, maybe...but never can be too careful in these times!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I must be very innocent - it wouldn't bother me in the slightest! If anything, i'd be maybe a bit flattered.:)

Im even more paronoid becuase i had a customer with the same car whos house was broken into and cars moved to get the very same car,they didnt get very far with the alarm but there seems to be an increase at the minute especially in newer jap imports being stolen and not recovered so im doubting its little joyriding scrotes who are doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

I'd be wary myself, he should be doing his job, not taking pictures !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Dirty_Diesel

spockety wrote: »
    someone slips him a few quid for pics of required cars supplied along side home address of the car etc.

I wouldn't be surprised if this was the case.
    I've heard of a tester up the midlands somewhere that will give ya an nct cert for any car, Just send him €50 and the VLC/Tax book and he makes up the figures and sends back the NCT cert :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Nowhere do you consent to photographs being taken of your car. Demand they be destroyed and demand disciplinary action against those involved. Take it higher if you need to.

I rang up head office today and they were very interested to hear about it,there sending out a complaints form and say i'll have a reply from management within a week of sending it back so we'll see whats what

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭conor-mr2

Let us know what the outcome is please.

Even the description of the sly nature he was taking the photos is suspect.
    If he liked the car and wanted to take a photo he could have asked you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

I would also contact Dept Of Environment or whoever has them under contract here to complain about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Does your car have nice alloys? There seems to be a spate of alloy thefts recently? Most likely they are stolen to order.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

I'm not 100% sure on the laws regarding photography of your property but my educated guess would be that you can't do a thing.

Someone takes a picture of your car, s**t buzz. I'd say take a picture of them taking pictures of your car if you want evidence of them acting suspiciously further down the line...

I know that when you're taking pictures of people, permission is not required unless the person is in a situation or place where they wouldn't expect to be photographed. i.e. if you were walking down grafton street and someone took your picture on a Sunday afternoon there's sweet F.A. you can do about it. Although, if they wanted to use this in an ad or something everyone in the photo would need to sign a model release.

If there was CCTV in the test centre could you demand that they delete the footage because your reg was in it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭ojewriej

It sounds a bit dodgy all right.

Anyway, good thing is that he knows you spotted him, so he probably realises that if something happens to your car, he will be the main suspect. So if he has any cop on, he won't try anything.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Al,

The lad could well be into his cars and was taking a picture of a nice car to show his mates etc, sure you know what the car scene is like these days.

Then again he could be up to no good but knowing that you saw him and know who he is I doubt he will try anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

eireal wrote: »
    A quick "what would you do" one here

I had my car Nct'd,upon watching it i noticed some discussion between other testers over in the corner,one guy then takes out his phone and walked around the car snapping a couple of sly pics in the reg (this wasnt the guy testing the car btw)

I asked the tester what was the story with someone taking pictures and he said he just loves certain cars.I had to go into the front desk either ways as they made a balls of the cert and complained there,the wench behind the counter asked who took a picture,i pointed the guy out and she walked out then came back in and just said,"he doesnt have your reg" adn went back to my original problem with the cert.

I dunno if im being over paronoid but working in car security i hear alot of stories on how peoples cars are being stolen ect ect and just dont like the idea of someone snapping pictures on the sly when the details of the owner are openly available to them at the click of a button,granted were not talking about a car worth hundreds of thousands but theres not many of them floating about none the less.

Anyways would you esculate this with head office or put it down to paranoia?

I'd put it down to paranoia anyways. And like you say; you work in car security;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

regardless of wheather this lad is into his cars or not, he should get on with his job and not be taking pics.
    The money they are on in there - they'll be up to all sorts to boost their income.........I'd chase it up and demand answers and the boot for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

In all fairness, what extra information could he have possibly gained by taking a picture of your car?

He works in the NCT centre, I would assume that they have the majority of your details on file anyway - why would he need a picture? Sounds innocent enough to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭April Raine

If there was CCTV in the test centre could you demand that they delete the footage because your reg was in it?
    I think you could apply under Data Protection and would have to be given the shots with your car in or at least if you were yourself in the picture?

OP Let us know the outcome, you were right to go higher up and complain, i would not like that at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭*Tripper*

As Johnny said he could be into his cars however i'd be very weary considering that its a Type-R. Follow this up until you get a definite answer as this shouldn't be happening whilst work is being carried out on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

I wouldn't worry about it.
    I've an unusual car which tends to draw attention in the test centre - gathering around to look inside, mobile snaps etc. The job's probably pretty boring, and a bit of additional interest in the cars running through isn't the worst thing in the world.

Id have had no problem if he asked to take a picture,it was just the sly way that it happened and the picture of the front was up fairly close ie taking in the reg, it wasnt like he stood back for a nice panoramic shot or made it anyway obvious what he was doing,the only way i saw it was because it was the lane closest to the window and i was right above him.

We'll see what the nct come back with anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

so this guy likes taking pictures of cars.......and maybe hes one of us so he will probably upload onto the 'here's what I saw today' thread....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,429 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

What's the big deal? We all drive our cars on the public road with our license plates in full view to all and sundry. If you do not want your car to be seen (or photographed), don't take it out in public...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭Tefral

unkel wrote: »
    What's the big deal? We all drive our cars on the public road with our license plates in full view to all and sundry. If you do not want your car to be seen (or photographed), don't take it out in public...

different story though...an nct tester has your address right there in front of him on the computer

and i run a modified car website and i know how rare accord euro r's are...hondas are being stolen to order all round the country...

if i were you man, id report it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,429 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

cronin_j wrote: »
    different story though...an nct tester has your address right there in front of him on the computer

True. That said, any member of the public that doesn't have the address of a car driven on a public road could very easily follow the car home. I don't see the security point about blocking out regs...

Advertisement