Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Which Mondeo?

Options
  • 05-06-2008 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭

I'm looking at the idea of replacing my car in the new year, and I really like the look of the new Mondeo, particularly since I'm a sucker for big cars. I haven't driven it yet, but most reviews I've heard are very good, and a friend of mine has got one and loves it.

I like the look of the Zetec spec, but I'm having a great deal of difficulty figuring out which engine I would go for. Bear in mind that I'd probably be looking for a '08 model second hand in April or May of next year.

I had been thinking the 1.8 TD or even the 2.0, especially with this new tax regime coming in. However, the price of diesel has been going mad lately, so the incentive seems to be disappearing. I do about 30,000 km a year, currently on twisty roads, but most of that will move on the Waterford-KK motorway once the sections start opening next year and 2010.

The 2.0 petrol seems like just a little much (no doubt going to be taxed like mad since CO2 seems to be the only pollutant that matters), but I just don't see how a 1.6 petrol can haul such a big car with any sort of power. A 1.8 petrol would probably be ideal for my needs, but there isn't one, not even on Ford's UK site. And as far as I can tell, there's no 6-speed option on petrol models. Surely this would be a great help on a motorway commute?

Anyone driven the various models out there? All advice gratefully received!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Most people go for the 1.8tdci model. Thats the one i'd go for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Bee

fricatus wrote: »
    I'm looking at the idea of replacing my car in the new year, and I really like the look of the new Mondeo, particularly since I'm a sucker for big cars. I haven't driven it yet, but most reviews I've heard are very good, and a friend of mine has got one and loves it.

I like the look of the Zetec spec, but I'm having a great deal of difficulty figuring out which engine I would go for. Bear in mind that I'd probably be looking for a '08 model second hand in April or May of next year.

I had been thinking the 1.8 TD or even the 2.0, especially with this new tax regime coming in. However, the price of diesel has been going mad lately, so the incentive seems to be disappearing. I do about 30,000 km a year, currently on twisty roads, but most of that will move on the Waterford-KK motorway once the sections start opening next year and 2010.

The 2.0 petrol seems like just a little much (no doubt going to be taxed like mad since CO2 seems to be the only pollutant that matters), but I just don't see how a 1.6 petrol can haul such a big car with any sort of power. A 1.8 petrol would probably be ideal for my needs, but there isn't one, not even on Ford's UK site. And as far as I can tell, there's no 6-speed option on petrol models. Surely this would be a great help on a motorway commute?

Anyone driven the various models out there? All advice gratefully received!

I drove a 1.8TD (125 BHP) with a six speed box in the UK and it was a decent performer.
    I drove a 1.6 here petrol and it is far too underpowered
    I am not sure what BHP the Oirish version of the 1.8TD is I think they sell an underpowered version 100BHP of the diesel so I would go with the 2l Diesel for decent poke

N.B. Bee is legion, a few of us in the family enjoy using this moniker to post!
    I am not sure if

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭ian25

fricatus wrote: »
    A 1.8 petrol would probably be ideal for my needs, but there isn't one, not even on Ford's UK site.

The irish version of the 1.6 engine has 110ps. But in the UK, they have two variants of the 1.6. Theres a 110ps like ours and also a 125ps which Ford claim gives similar performance as the old 1.8 petrol engine.

Personally i'd go for the 2.0 diesal. It seems to get the thumbs up from most people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

If it's the Mondeo that came out last year then the 1.8 TDCi has 99 bhp for the LX and 123 bhp for the Zetec. I'd say the 1.8 Zetec diesel has enough power for most situations. It has lower road tax over the 2.0 TDCi too.

The new ECOnetic Zetec model(hatchback and estate only unfortunately I'm afraid) falls in price by €3,600, making it cheaper than the regular model and is in an even lower VRT band and also has road tax of €150.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'd go for the 1.8 TDCi Zetec. It will be one of the big savers from July.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Thanks all, much appreciated!

Advertisement