Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So whatcha make of the Chemistry paper?

Options
  • 05-06-2008 5:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭

I thought it was grand. The predicted experiments didn't come up but the ones that were there were easy enough.

I completely forgot how to do heats of reactions in Q6 but I made a good stab at the paper apart from that. Don't think I quite managed an A though.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

I was really surprised by the paper! Normally I only manage to get two of the 3 experiment questions (cause i'm a bit sh*t at chemistry tbh) but it went class, got 7 really good questions, 40+ marks like and then one really really REALLY crap question but thats not gonna make me fail!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

loved it loved it loved it loved it loved it loved it loved it
    :D
    I thought chromatography was gonna come up and it DID :D
    I did a post mortem of the marks and i'm defently getting a B3 at LEAST

I did everything except question 6 and 8, in retrospect I should of done the acids and bases/water treatment one but live and learn:)

How many people put propene down as the third member of the alkene family? WRONG it's butene as methene doesn't exist =] now ye all know ye lost 3 percent, like i did!!

Ah for feck sake, i did that! Knew it was too easy to be true!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

could have gone better
    I didnt do as well as i wanted 2 but im sure ill be fine done good experiment hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭pocket aces

i thought it was pretty good... the question 5 was a bit different but still doable, and the experiments were fine! :)

• Advertisement

Yeah, experiments were ridiculously easy, nothing difficult in the calculations either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭lovechem

Omg

methene

I thought Sect A was nice

Organic questions were NASTY.

Oh well never have to do it again YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS :D

lovechem wrote: »
    Omg

methene

I thought Sect A was nice

Organic questions were NASTY.

Oh well never have to do it again YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS :D
    so much for your user name:)

KeyLimePie, are you sure it's as high as 3 percent? That seems awful high for such a simple mistake? Thats almost the difference between a grade 1-2-3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Stressed!

Yes............I got butene right!!
    Im DELIGHTED with it!!!!
    Hopefully an A!!!

:):):)

• Advertisement

KeyLimePie, are you sure it's as high as 3 percent? That seems awful high for such a simple mistake? Thats almost the difference between a grade 1-2-3.

the question was worth 12 marks and was entiteled "draw a structural isomer of the third member of the alkene family and point out any planar and tetrehedal bonding" or so goes
    anyone who mistook the third member to be propene instead of butene lost 12marks automatically!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭lovechem

KeyLimePie wrote: »
    so much for your user name:)

I don't actually love chemistry :pac::pac: rather the opposite. hahaha.

I have hated it since the day we started in 5th year, and now she is but a distant memory :D

That seems really high?! wow! Feel like a bit of a tool now, three years of higher level chemistry and i make that stupid mistake!

That seems really high?! wow! Feel like a bit of a tool now, three years of higher level chemistry and i make that stupid mistake!

i know how you feel:(
    I've lost a grade from it and not putting in the test for chlorine atoms!!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

is it me or was 11(B) crazily easy? The one about the car emmissions

Hahaha, yeah i got totally muddled for that too, wouldn't mind but i looked at it literally two minutes before! That and rates of reactions, I did the first three parts or whatever just couldn't get my head around the calculation bit.
    Not many definitions asked at all...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

Sweet Paper! and yeah, 11b was simple, I liked it though, nice and topical and if the statistics are true also interesting..

I had 8 questions done at 3.30 and went on and did all the others. Hopefully an A!
    The carboxylic acid in an ant sting is methanoic acid right??

andrew wrote: »
    is It Me Or Was 11(b) Crazily Easy? The One About The Car Emmissions

Yeah!

Redisle wrote: »
    The carboxylic acid in an ant sting is methanoic acid right??

It is now that you say it! Couldn't remember in the exam so I said Ascorbic acid, whatever that is, it's possible i made it up though.

Hahaha, yeah i got totally muddled for that too, wouldn't mind but i looked at it literally two minutes before! That and rates of reactions, I did the first three parts or whatever just couldn't get my head around the calculation bit.
    Not many definitions asked at all...

personally, i thought the bit below it was more topical:)
    the one about al gore!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

i thought benzoic acid?

I didn't even look at the al gore one. Just went straight for the ones i knew!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Caoimhe89

andrew wrote: »
    i thought benzoic acid?

nope definitely methanoic acid. Our teacher went on about it at length... maybe she's psychic...

Anyway, paper was ok, I made a stupid mistake (drew octane instead of heptane for no apparent reason), and there was one or two things I wasn't completely sure about. If I'm lucky, and A1... and I might not be lucky!

I NEVER imagined chromatography would come up. I hadn't even looked at it before the paper, so I did it from memory... probably not the best of my questions.

I did 10 with half an hour to spare, couldn't do Q11 and left.

Not too bad all in all!

ah well at least its only a 3 marker. That said, i an going to leave this thread and never come back lest i come to realise i've done ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭kaki

Oh god...

I've just realised that I swapped the axes in the graph on the rate experiment...bye bye 12 marks...

Ah well. At least it's over.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭devinejay

Thought it was pretty good alright, did ten questions, no major hiccups so with any luck I'll get an A, I wouldn't have believed that a couple of months ago!

Stupid mistakes;
    Spent ages trying figure out which went with which, phosphate, chloride ammonium molybdate and silver nitrate. In the end I put the phosphate answer down for the chloride Q.
    Every time I opened a book to study in the last month I had a little note sayin "Go over acids and bases 2"
    Guess what I forgot to do...

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Yuugib

i forgot the oxidising agent picture thingy :( just flew out from my head... stupid mistakes :(

Yuugib wrote: »
    i forgot the oxidising agent picture thingy :( just flew out from my head... stupid mistakes :(

me too! i was looking at them yesterday thinking hmmm...those'd never come up!!! i drew the one for explosions instead, oh well!:)

I've been threw my exam like 20 times!!!
    I defently got a B2:)
    i'm so effin delighted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭jhn_noln

did chem last year and just wondering what experiments came up??? any surprises or stuff apllyin to real life like the spy who died from radiation that came up last yeaR????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 daz20

did anyone else drop down to ord from higher i made the right choice calculated the points n ive got 50 in ord as opposed to a guaranteed fail at higher

Advertisement