Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ronaldo

• 05-06-2008 5:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭

wtf is going on here really?

Apparently madrid will pay him like over a million a month to move to spain.:confused:

bit crazy in the current economic situation we live in to see a player getting a million squids a month.?!

I hope Man U keep their word and keep in on the bench rather than sell him to madrid tbh.

he seems a naieve f00ker really, i mean he is with man united ffs, winning all round and why the hell would he go to madrid.

they are not even the best team in the world anymore i would imagine....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

wtf is going on here really?

Apparently madrid will pay him like over a million a month to move to spain.:confused:

bit crazy in the current economic situation we live in to see a player getting a million squids a month.?!

I hope Man U keep their word and keep in on the bench rather than sell him to madrid tbh.

he seems a naieve f00ker really, i mean he is with man united ffs, winning all round and why the hell would he go to madrid.

they are not even the best team in the world anymore i would imagine....

it is being dragged out a bit tbh, although, alot of that i say is down to the media, its getting to the stage where you just want to hear once and for, is he going or not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,849 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

time will tell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

The source on SSN was total bul****.

But nobody knows. Wait for a proper interview.

Its his handling of the matter that annoys me. He is the one who has helped fuel this situation with his "2 to 3 weeks" and "the future is unclear" talk which seem to fuel Calderon into his muppetry, though Calderon got the ball rolling so he's the biggest swine of them all. He promised Kaka and robben when he ran for office. He got one, a year late. Now apparently he;s promised Ronaldo....... we'll see. I want him to leave if thats his wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭purple'n'gold

Part of the problem is that people seem to think that just because a guy is a good / great footballer he is also intelligent and sensible. Not true.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Death or Glory

He wants to play for a team in all white and we wouldn't have the c*nt at Leeds, so.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Part of the problem is that people seem to think that just because a guy is a good / great footballer he is also intelligent and sensible. Not true.

They usually have intelligent and sensible people (or greedy in some cases. Anelka I'm looking at you)to think for them though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

hope he fecks off to Madrid so that we dont have 20+threads about him every year. Rediculously Talented Yes, very few would disagree but likeable, hell no!(and i doubt many would disagree with that either).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

He will go to Madrid, no doubt, it's just a matter of when. The fact that he strings along with - all will be revealed next week, etc, suggests it will be sooner than later. The guy's been preparing the ground for months now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

If he does Im running out and getting Ronaldo and his number printed on my Real jersey :p Just to annoy the mancs.....

In all honesty though, hope he doesnt (though Man U would certainly not be half the team they are). Undeniably entertaining player (except in the CL, where he is decidedly average).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Predhead

shane86 wrote: »
    If he does Im running out and getting Ronaldo and his number printed on my Real jersey :p Just to annoy the mancs.....

In all honesty though, hope he doesnt (though Man U would certainly not be half the team they are). Undeniably entertaining player (except in the CL, where he is decidedly average).

I think it's ridiculous when people say that United won't be the team they are without him. Yes, he'll be missed, but United always have players who can make the step up. People have been saying it for years, when Ince, Hughes and Kanchelskis left, when Cantona retired, when Stam was sold, when Beckham then RVN left...it has made no difference in the grand scheme of things. Anderson will be a brilliant next season and Nani will have improved. We've also got Manucho to get a few goals too and whoever else we sign to strenghten. The future's still bright regardless imo.

Predhead wrote: »
    Anderson will be a brilliant next season and Nani will have improved. .

Nani is underrated Ill give you that.

Anderson is shockingly overrated.

The team wont fall apart without Ronaldo but it wont be the force it was. About time they made the swoop for Nasri or Benzema it looks like.

The team wont fall apart without Ronaldo but it wont be the force it was. About time they made the swoop for Nasri or Benzema it looks like.

Anderson's not overrated, it's his potential people talk about. And when he played he was a handful in midfield. He needs to improve though of course.

Yeah I'm sure United will spend in the summer. Nasri is on his way to Arsenal it seems and Benzema, well I'm not sure he wants to join. Not yet anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

7=Raul
    17=RVN
    ???=Ronaldo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

It was only a matter of time, considering sports stars in America are getting paid whats being touted and more, it seems small change but also crazy at the same time.

I think the same myself about Nani and Anderson.

kmart6 wrote: »
    7=raul
    17=rvn
    ???=ronaldo

77 :d

77 :d
    Lol,don't think he'd like a number like that,he'd want something either personnal to him or with a history behind it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Hmmm. Has an outfield player worn number 1 yet, in a major league?

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Yes,can't remember who,but someone has,think he was from a Greek team!

nipplenuts wrote: »

Don't think so. I think someone wore that no. 1 jersey in the 1978 WC though. Might have been a Dutch player.

• Advertisement

Well Adolfo Bautista did anyway,no it's not a major league but still! Thought there was someone in Europe though!

Well Adolfo Bautista did anyway,no it's not a major league but still! Thought there was someone in Europe though!

And he worse the no. 100 aswell! Renegade.

Knew there was someone....Pantelis Kafes

And he worse the no. 100 aswell! Renegade.
    Looks like a twat IMO!

Looks like a twat IMO!

It's to be admired in imo! :D

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

United should sell, they'd be better off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Mad Dog

Don't think so. I think someone wore that no. 1 jersey in the 1978 WC though. Might have been a Dutch player.

Ossie Ardiles wore the number 1 jersey in 1982 Spain World Cup finals.

I agree. Don't need him upsetting the applecart!! Haha KK in me coming out!

But seriously, I know he'll be near impossible to replace but United have a versatile collection of players. And as I mentioned already, we've money to spend regardless of whether or not we sell him and some of the names being bandied around, Alves etc; I'd love to see at OT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

7=raul
    17=rvn
    ???=ronaldo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

Yeah we'd be better off without a player who scored 42 goals this season :rolleyes:

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

dubmick wrote: »
    Yeah we'd be better off without a player who scored 42 goals this season :rolleyes:
    Which he most likely will not repeat if he doesn't want to be there.

His value will probably never be higher than it is now.

United could replace him, sign a striker and a right back with the funds. They'd be less reliant on one player and a better side all-round.

Rolleyes yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

lol

If you had of said that I wouldn't have rolled my eyes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

Completely agree with Pepe LeFrits here, if United get anything like the amount of cash Madrid are willing to give for him, they should sell him. They would bring in a few more top players in some of their "weaker" areas and IMO they could well be stronger all-round next year. They will never get a better price for him than after this season, i'd rather have the money now than hold onto a superstar who isnt that bothered. I think he'll go, if he doesnt he needs a slap for some of the comments he has made in recent weeks, the one at the PFA Awards (IIRC) in particular.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I also agree with Pepe Lefrits. Man Utd will probably never be able to command a higher price than what could be achieved this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Its his handling of the matter that annoys me. He is the one who has helped fuel this situation with his "2 to 3 weeks" and "the future is unclear" talk which seem to fuel Calderon into his muppetry, though Calderon got the ball rolling so he's the biggest swine of them all. He promised Kaka and robben when he ran for office. He got one, a year late. Now apparently he;s promised Ronaldo....... we'll see. I want him to leave if thats his wish.

Agree 100%, its like you typed what I have been thinking all week :)

Yes Ronaldo is young but the way he has dealt with all of this since Moscow has been poor and ill advised to say the least. Whatever a player privately thinks or wants he should always stay loyal to his current club (unless hes been plainly fcuked over, and its fair to say Ronaldo aint exactly suffering professionally or financially at Utd.) but the dopey little pox decided to keep his mouth shut and never tried once to take the sting out of the speculation by saying something simple like "I cant stop the media hype but I can say I am a Utd player and have no desire to play anywhere else right now".
    He then cranks it up a few notches a week or so later by saying "I will announce my decision in 3 days" Oh, how privileged we all are, your manager, colleagues & fans, I just feel so honoured you put a timestamp on it so I could factor my calendar around your impending announcement :rolleyes: The pedestal the lad has placed himself on, well he probably needs a winch to get up there every morning. The 3 day comment just set the tone for me and whatever happens now I will find it hard charachter wise to like him again if he pulls on a Utd shirt next season, yes I would cheer his goals but I wont have any respect for the lad because of the situation he has helped create right now.

I'm not forgetting Madrid here! They are probably the most public in their courting of top players, other clubs do it, Real just seem to have a patent on it! I have no doubts in my mind they have not been encouraged in anyway by Utd, but maybe just maybe Gill (or the Glazers) have said, "Yeah we'll sell him....for £100m" and that was the first shred of hope for them.

One part of me says, FFS the lad is class, look at the season he has had, he should at the very least mantain it next year and should improve other parts of his game with the maturity that goes with playing and winning trophies; in tandem with the brilliant coaching he has been afforded to date.

On the other hand, will he repeat the trick, will he get any better, can Utd do without him and go buy a better player(s) and have cash left over? If (a big if) Utd get a crazy amount of money for him and can secure 2-3 class additions then I'd be inclined to run with it, but I would nail Madrid for the max amount, which to my mind is at least £70m, and I wouldnt let the pricks pay on the never never either, cash on the table Senor Calderon, or F**K OFF.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

We could find out what's going to happen pretty soon actually. Since SSN and a host of websites have reported on these comments, Fergie will no doubt drag him by the ear to a press conference to explain himself one way or the other. (i.e. gun pointed in his back, smiling nervously)

I definitely can't see nothing else emerging until after the Euros.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

nothin will happen until after euro 2008, at which point the glazers will need to take some of those tranfer funds and use them on his stupid wages.

You dont know if he will be mopey and out of form next season though. For all you know he still loves playing there, he is just trying to put the frighteners in the Utd board by doing all this hinting.

The old Alex would have slapped him. He admitted the other day hes toned down his rants. Clearly they dont fear him anymore, thats the problem :D

TBH though you wonder how players and managers can so easily bury the hatchet after so much public carry on. Ron and Rooney post WC 2006. Seemingly, Beckham and Capello. Fergie and Wes Brown. Roy Keane and McCarthy. Even Jose said he bears no grudge to Roman and talks to him occasionally (though iirc he hates Grant).

I hope you are reading, Stephen Ireland :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Stephen Ireland? Reading? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

If Ronaldo goes, then the under-performing Rooney's gonna have to get his act together. Everyone goes on about him being one of the best players in the world.......hasn't come anywhere near it yet. He may have potential, but it's about time he realised it cos a few goals here and there, some a few spectacular ones doesn't make you world class. As i say, the potential is there, but if Ronaldo goes, he's gonna have to show it. I think the exploits of Ronaldo has glossed over Rooney's averageness the last while

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Sell him while he is hot!:D

I think it will be up to the glaziers wheather they will sell or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,703 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

entertaining player (except in the CL, where he is decidedly average).

Ahem...Top Scorer???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

I think it's a poor reflection on Ronaldo to embark on this protracted saga after AF showed good faith in him during the first few years of step-overs, dire crossing and inconsistency. I'm quite certain that this is, in part, a massive ego trip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

the BBC have him quoted as saying he wont answer any questions until after the European championships. this could be dragged out until August. I think it's hugely disrespectful from Ronaldo, for all us that bitch about him, what do his team mates think of all this? do they not deserve better?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Whilst Ronaldo is acting the cnut, is anyone surprised. Since he joined United he has shown himself to be stuck up his own arse. It's only now that United fans can see it too. Don't get me wrong, he is the best player in the world, and I would love him at my club, but he is a wanka none the less. I am suprised though that he hasn't been hauled in by AF to explain himself.

Also, AF and United fnas have some cheek calling shenanigans on Madrid. Has Alex forgotten his not so subtle pursuit of Hargreaves, or Carrick, or Yorke, or Stam, or RVN?? Not so nice when the shoe is on the other foot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

Whilst Ronaldo is acting the cnut, is anyone surprised. Since he joined United he has shown himself to be stuck up his own arse. It's only now that United fans can see it too. Don't get me wrong, he is the best player in the world, and I would love him at my club, but he is a wanka none the less. I am suprised though that he hasn't been hauled in by AF to explain himself.

Also, AF and United fnas have some cheek calling shenanigans on Madrid. Has Alex forgotten his not so subtle pursuit of Hargreaves, or Carrick, or Yorke, or Stam, or RVN?? Not so nice when the shoe is on the other foot.

I'm a Man U fan, and although I think he has done well for the club for the most part, I have always thought that he is up his own arse. And I also don't agree that he is the best player in the world. I think that, when on form, Kaka and Messi are better players than he is. I say sell him for €100 million, if that's what Madrid are offering, and bring in Kaka and Messi. Or at least try and bring them to the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

It is complete ego from that twat. Putting out a statement the other day saying he'll make an announcement in a couple of days????? Yeah nice one, has anyone got any rope so that i can hang on his every word?!! Torres has been linked with other clubs but came out straight away and emphatically by saying that although he's honoured to be linked with the clubs that he has been linked with, he loves it at Liverpool and wants to stay for years. It really is that simple!!
    Ferguson hypocritically goes on about Madrid's behaviour, but he should look closer to home at his current number seven.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

AF calling shenanigans on Madrid. Has Alex forgotten his not so subtle pursuit of Hargreaves, or Carrick, or Yorke, or Stam, or RVN?? Not so nice when the shoe is on the other foot.

Love it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

I've been waiting for someone to point this out. I find it hilarious how much ManU fans now HATE Madrid. Ferguson went on a rant about Madrid recently taking the moral high ground as usual, but everyone should know by now that anything he says has to be taken with a pinch of salt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

kinaldo wrote: »
    I've been waiting for someone to point this out. I find it hilarious how much ManU fans now HATE Madrid. Ferguson went on a rant about Madrid recently taking the moral high ground as usual, but everyone should know by now that anything he says has to be taken with a pinch of salt.

it's probably more a case that he resents how Madrid can get away with more than he does. ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement