Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ronaldo

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

kinaldo wrote: »
    I've been waiting for someone to point this out. I find it hilarious how much ManU fans now HATE Madrid. Ferguson went on a rant about Madrid recently taking the moral high ground as usual, but everyone should know by now that anything he says has to be taken with a pinch of salt.

He's always been the biggest yarn spinner of them all with his accusations against Refs, other managers, International callups etc. etc. I respect what the bloke has achieved, and he is possibly the greatest manger the game has seen, but this sort of nonsense really makes him look a mug.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

kinaldo wrote: »
    I've been waiting for someone to point this out. I find it hilarious how much ManU fans now HATE Madrid. Ferguson went on a rant about Madrid recently taking the moral high ground as usual, but everyone should know by now that anything he says has to be taken with a pinch of salt.

Absolutely!! Utd, at this stage with Ferguson in charge, should be sponsored by Saxo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

topnutz wrote: »
    Completely agree with Pepe LeFrits here, if United get anything like the amount of cash Madrid are willing to give for him, they should sell him. They would bring in a few more top players in some of their "weaker" areas and IMO they could well be stronger all-round next year. They will never get a better price for him than after this season, i'd rather have the money now than hold onto a superstar who isnt that bothered. I think he'll go, if he doesnt he needs a slap for some of the comments he has made in recent weeks, the one at the PFA Awards (IIRC) in particular.

What exactly did Ronaldo say at the PFA awards?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

he is just a greedy cnut, and also probably the most hated player in england.

united should just flog him to them wasters madrid for 300million and get on with it and win another league title next year tbh.

then we can continue with out mundane lives...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Ronaldo to leave United, Ronaldinho to come to City. Good times!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

One Ronald left in Manchester one way or another!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Ronaldo to leave United, Ronaldinho to come to City. Good times!

"God, Ted. D'you remember that feller who was so good at fashion they had to shoot him?"

Absolutely brilliant, Xavi6. Never ever fails to make me laugh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Predhead

I think it's a poor reflection on Ronaldo to embark on this protracted saga after AF showed good faith in him during the first few years of step-overs, dire crossing and inconsistency. I'm quite certain that this is, in part, a massive ego trip.

Hmmm...

SAF obviously (like most people) saw great potential in him. He was only 18 when he first joined. So of course he's going to show faith in a player the team will later reap the benefits of.

OK you may not like Ronnie but saying that he's simply feeding his ego is a bit stupid. He's obviously clueless in dealing with media pressure. SAF should have a word.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/manchester_united/article4076331.ece
    From The Times
    June 6, 2008

Ferguson not welcome here, says Ronaldo

Matt Hughes Neuchâtel, Switzerland

Cristiano Ronaldo’s faltering relationship with Sir Alex Ferguson appeared to deteriorate further yesterday when the Portugal winger effectively banned the Manchester United manager from visiting his country’s European Championship training camp.

In an embarrassing snub, Ronaldo has told team-mates that Ferguson is not welcome in Switzerland, bringing a premature end to proposals for peace talks that surfaced in the light of his continued flirtation with Real Madrid.

Ferguson had reservations about travelling to the university town of Neuchâtel in any case, with the United manager reluctant to show his concern at Real’s interest and uneasy about intruding into the sphere of Luiz Felipe Scolari, the Portugal coach, but Ronaldo’s stance has brought an end to the matter.

The 23-year-old’s intransigence springs from anger at Ferguson’s comments last weekend that the Glazer family would rather see him sit in the stands than sell him to Real. Ronaldo is understood to be furious at this perceived slight, but Ferguson was merely responding to the player’s frequent expressions of admiration for Real.

Ronaldo’s mood is all the more frustrating for Ferguson because Scolari had indicated that he would be welcome to visit the player at the Portugal training base. The Brazilian has long been an admirer of Ferguson and the pair share a mutual respect. He also wonders whether Ronaldo is in the right frame of mind for the Euro 2008 campaign, which begins against Turkey in Geneva tomorrow.

“Scolari is a sensitive coach,” a Portuguese source said. “He wants Ronaldo to be settled and if Ronaldo asks to see Ferguson he will allow it. He just wants Ronaldo to be settled so he can play his best.” Gilberto Mandail, president of the Portuguese football federation said: “Having the best Ronaldo in the next three weeks is very much our problem.”

The onus is on Ronaldo to demonstrate that the furore has not compromised his form, although it is becoming apparent that his departure from Old Trafford is a case of when rather than if.

The former Sporting Lisbon winger went farther than ever yesterday, telling a Brazilian website that he would like to sign for Real if a deal can be done, although there is little chance of that happening this summer. With four years remaining on Ronaldo’s contract, United have no reason to sell — even for a world-record transfer fee in excess of £50 million — and Real will have to make a renewed bid in subsequent seasons.

“I would like to play for Real Madrid, but only if it is true they are ready to pay what Manchester United ask of them,” Ronaldo said. “However, it does not depend on me. From today I’m not going to talk about this topic with anyone at all. I’ll only talk about this again after the European Championship. Don’t ask me any questions because I won’t answer.”

Ferguson’s anger will only have increased after comments from Ruud van Nistelrooy, another United player he fell out with, urging Ronaldo to join him at the Bernabéu. The main difference, however, as in the case of David Beckham, is that Ferguson wanted to sell Van Nistelrooy because of the belief that he was a disruptive influence, which is not the situation with Ronaldo.

“He’d be an important signing for Madrid because this is a club which signs the best players in the world, and that’s what Cristiano is,” Van Nistelrooy said. “Cristiano could bring a lot of things to this club. He’s young, he has everything and a long sporting career ahead of him.”

So the plot thickens, although there aren't any actual quotes from a source in that piece.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

thats old news Xavi and has pretty much been proved to be bull**** tbh, shame on you, i thought you would look through the last few pages before posting, or at the united thread, it came from a Brazilian website which is highly dubious and considering Portugals own media officer said Ronnie hasnt given any interview for 3 days,4 now, and the journalist who apparently had the interview with him isnt even in Switzerland

Ah now I couldn't be seen to be taking an active interest in the United thread.

I also said that the story lacked quotes so I didn't believe it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

So Ronaldo goes from hero to zero in the eyes of United fans.
    I've always said it that he was a **** of a man. Your seeing the truth now!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Regardless of any interviews taken or not taken, this has been going on for weeks now and ronaldo lets it happen by not saying anything publicly. Its wishful thinking on united fans part to think all this is nothing. No smoke without fire.
    Believe me, as an Arsenal fan i know all about this $hit!

I think its 60 -40 if he will go this year, but he wont have more then one more season at United.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

he has not gone from hero to zero in my eyes at all for one, like i have repeatedly said, he is allowed consider his options, everybody has that right. its better for him to say nothing then to lie to the fans. i think he will go next summer, and i will thank him for all he has done. even if i think its a little early, would have hoped he would wait till he was 26 or so. if he goes this year then so be it, ill thank him and wish him well. although i couldnt cheer for him anymore simply as he would be wearing that jersey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Funny how Van Nistlerooy is now all loved up with the prospect of Ronaldo going to Madrid isnt it? Must be suffering some sort of amnesia, he was sold by Utd because he upset Ronaldo by telling him to "run home and tell his daddy" after a clash in training.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

rvn: ronaldo come to real madrid

beckham: ronaldo DON'T go to real madrid!

is rvn planning something and beckham doesnt want ronnie to get hurt!? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

What exactly did Ronaldo say at the PFA awards?

Someting very similar to "I have a dream to play in Spain, but sometimes dreams dont come true", that didnt come from a newspaper, it was played over and over on SSN one day. Im assuming it was the PFA thing, because he was wearing a suit and it was shown the day after he won the player of the year and all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

jank wrote: »
    So Ronaldo goes from hero to zero in the eyes of United fans.
    I've always said it that he was a **** of a man. Your seeing the truth now!

Not in my eyes he's not, lets be honest here if any of us were offered a chance to leave our job and go to a competitor who has an equal opportunity of providing career development but was willing to pay 50%+ more for our services, it would be "so long and thanks for all the fish" time.

I don't blame him for what he's doing, and frankly if we get £60m+ for him then I think everybody wins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

£60+ million will not come close to replacing what Ronaldo gives Utd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Mr Alan wrote: »

spoken like a true united fan......wait a minute.....

• Advertisement

good one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,849 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Wouldnt it all depend what the 60m plus is spent on?

Time will tell lads.
    Its a bit annoying and upsetting for United fans how he is carrying on, and it does like a distinct possibility he will leave. But no point in dragging it out really. Im more interested in his potential replacement(s) at OT should he go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,703 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

What's with this bloody 60 million talk, up up up! 90-100 suck that Madrid Tit Dry!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Nothing will replace exactly what Ronaldo gives Utd, but £60m+ has the potential to make the team stronger as a whole.

When Van Nistelrooy left in '06 the naysayers said that United would struggle to find goals, they scored 126 goals in the '06/'07 season & followed that up with 110 this year.

Van Nistelrooy scored 150 goals in 200 appearances for united, Ronaldo has scored 92 in 196.

So lets say we get £60m for him, potentially who could we buy?

We could get Sergio Aguero (circa £20m) who got 24 goals and 9 assists in 41 games between La Liga and UEFA Cup this year

We could get Daniel Alves (circa £25m) who picked up 4 goals and 17 assists in 42 games in Spain this year, as well as being a perfect replacement for Gary Neville

and with our last £15m(and maybe a few extra m thrown in) we could sign someone like Santi Cazorla who is capable of scoring and getting assists, something like 8-9 goals and a similar number of assists this year.

Yea....cause I'm sure that if the Glaziers sell their prize asset they are not going to use the majority of the money it raises to finance their escalating debt!?

When Ruud left, he was not near the player Ronaldo is, Ronaldo is the best player in the world. The reason Ruuds departure didnt make the impact people thought it might is simply because Ronaldo stepped up his game in a phenomenal way. Chances of that happening again? Slim to none.

As for whoever said Aguerro for £20m? Isnt that around wat Athletico paid for him last year?

Double it and you may be closer to the mark.

If Ronaldo is sold for 60m, i reckon at least 30m will NOT go into the tranfer kitty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

well i just reckon ye should sell him and begin life after ronaldo. this is gettin to a point where it is becoming the biggest joke ever...I wonder if we will be changing the calendars and how we record time from BC and AD to BR and AR (before and after Ronaldo)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

mormank wrote: »
    well i just reckon ye should sell him and begin life after ronaldo. this is gettin to a point where it is becoming the biggest joke ever...I wonder if we will be changing the calendars and how we record time from BC and AD to BR and AR (before and after Ronaldo)

It's not becoming the biggest joke ever. The media are blowing it out of all proportion and you are falling for it.!

im fallin for it?? come on, give me break, that boy just cannot get enough attention. he loves it so much!!! long live scholesy imo!! now there is a truly classy player on and off the field...ronnie is and always will be an attention seeking twat.

deisedevil wrote: »
    It's not becoming the biggest joke ever. The media are blowing it out of all proportion and you are falling for it.!

"I want to play for Real Madrid, but only if it is true that are eager to pay me and Manchester Utd what they have been saying they will."

Yea they're blowing it out of proportion!

get a grip of yourself lad :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Raytown Rocks

http://www.breakingnews.ie/sport/mhgbojaukfcw/

Cristiano Ronaldo‘s mother Dolores Aveiro was quoted today as saying her son would be staying in England.

"He is fine where he is," said the Manchester United star's mother was quoted as telling Portuguese television station TVI.

"The future only God knows, but what is sure is that he is going to continue in England

It must be true he's staying...His mammy said so.

• Advertisement

im fallin for it?? come on, give me break, that boy just cannot get enough attention. he loves it so much!!! long live scholesy imo!! now there is a truly classy player on and off the field...ronnie is and always will be an attention seeking twat.

So because he likes attention and you think he is a twat Man Utd are better off without him. Grow up!

"I want to play for Real Madrid, but only if it is true that are eager to pay me and Manchester Utd what they have been saying they will."

Does anyone know if he really said that. Brazillian rag claim. I won't believe any of it until I see him saying it.

Does anyone know if he really said that. Brazillian rag claim. I won't believe any of it until I see him saying it.

I'm quite confident that ronaldo or SAF or David Gill or anyone would have said by now if that quote was made up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

I was just about to post the same reply.............it's rubbish, the reporter in question hasn't spoken to ronaldo in the past few days..........it's probably a week old, and it's a misquote!!

So because he likes attention and you think he is a twat Man Utd are better off without him. Grow up!

grow up?? haha. ur funny. when did i say that utd would be better off without him?? plz quote me. fyi for the past 5 years i have looked out for ronaldo in the itd team. im a pool fan, but would watch utd games if he was playin. he is a genius with a ball at his feet but even in first few seasons when he was being ridiculed for no end product i loved watchin him, he was just so entertaining. himself and jay jay were the two most entertaining footballers the premiership has in the past 5 years. but now i think he might have outstayed his welcome. he is becoming too big for his own boots. i know he got 42 goals this season but torres got 33 without a single penalty or free kick, how many pennos or free kicks did ronnie have??

and plz dont give me this he's a winger malarky, for most of the season he was playin further up the field than any other utd player. rooney even had a brief spell at right back this year.

oh and if it makes you feel any better, i withdraw my statement callin him a twat. i know how much that must have hurt you and him for that matter. sry cristiano, i know u are readin boards.ie..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

chef wrote: »
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/sport/mhgbojaukfcw/

Cristiano Ronaldo‘s mother Dolores Aveiro was quoted today as saying her son would be staying in England.

"He is fine where he is," said the Manchester United star's mother was quoted as telling Portuguese television station TVI.

"The future only God knows, but what is sure is that he is going to continue in England

It must be true he's staying...His mammy said so.

She must of refused Marca's money

I'm quite confident that ronaldo or SAF or David Gill or anyone would have said by now if that quote was made up.

We'll see. I can't see him going as I haven't seen any solid evidence of him leaving. A few nicely cut up quotes and loas of media sensationalism, a rubbish quote from a Brazilian website that has no weight behind it and Real Madrid up to their usual tricks stirring the whole pot.

People are buying into the media way too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

Its a non story for FFS
    Last official word from Ronaldo is hes happy now - not ruling anything out in the future though
    Utd said hes going nowhere
    Fergie said hes going nowhere
    His mother said hes going nowhere
    Madrid said its an impossible signing

You know what - he just might be staying - who cares what some unknown Brazilian website are saying - is he really going to give them an exclusive interview:rolleyes:

That qoute is a load bollix.

I agree thou, if United get 60 million they will get a new winger from it not whole pie.

• Advertisement

I think its hilarious the way Utd fans are defending Ronaldo even through this, he is embarrasing your club no end, that quote is him, the fact there has been no denial from him or anyone at Utd doesnt strike anyone as being strange?

If Fergie was half the man he used to be he'd let Ronaldo rot in the reserves. He is making a mockery of your club.

I find it hilarious.

If Fergie was half the man he used to be ...

I find it hilarious.

Now that is hilarious!!! Your only on the planet the same lenght of time this guy has been managing United.

grow up?? haha. ur funny. when did i say that utd would be better off without him?? plz quote me. fyi for the past 5 years i have looked out for ronaldo in the itd team. im a pool fan, but would watch utd games if he was playin. he is a genius with a ball at his feet but even in first few seasons when he was being ridiculed for no end product i loved watchin him, he was just so entertaining. himself and jay jay were the two most entertaining footballers the premiership has in the past 5 years. but now i think he might have outstayed his welcome. he is becoming too big for his own boots. i know he got 42 goals this season but torres got 33 without a single penalty or free kick, how many pennos or free kicks did ronnie have??

and plz dont give me this he's a winger malarky, for most of the season he was playin further up the field than any other utd player. rooney even had a brief spell at right back this year.

oh and if it makes you feel any better, i withdraw my statement callin him a twat. i know how much that must have hurt you and him for that matter. sry cristiano, i know u are readin boards.ie..

Didn't hurt at all, he very well could be a twat, I couldn't give a toss if he is or not.

You did say Utd would be better off without him. To quote you: Today 12:22
    mormank "well i just reckon ye should sell him and begin life after ronaldo. this is gettin to a point where it is becoming the biggest joke ever...I wonder if we will be changing the calendars and how we record time from BC and AD to BR and AR (before and after Ronaldo)"

Why are you trying to put across a point about Torres being better and he's not a right winger? What has that got to do with anything?

Grow up.

I think its hilarious the way Utd fans are defending Ronaldo even through this, he is embarrasing your club no end, that quote is him, the fact there has been no denial from him or anyone at Utd doesnt strike anyone as being strange?

If Fergie was half the man he used to be he'd let Ronaldo rot in the reserves. He is making a mockery of your club.

I find it hilarious.

Did Gerrard not make a mockery of Liverpool? Kisses the badge on his chest, puts in a transfer request!

Your wrists must be killing you from all the stirring, amonst other things :D (now that's a joke btw)

Did Gerrard not make a mockery of Liverpool? Kisses the badge on his chest, puts in a transfer request!

Your wrists must be killing you from all the stirring, amonst other things :D (now that's a joke btw)

"We tried three times last season to talk with Steve about the future and a new deal and he said that we needed to wait," said Benítez. "So we waited. Then people said it was about whether we could win trophies here and we won the most important trophy in the world [the Champions League]. So they said we needed to improve the squad and now we are.

ha ha ha dont even try and compare the two situations, they are totally different.

even with them being so different, wat Gerrard did was poor form, many havent forgiven him for it to this day.

ronaldos case is much worse though, and until someone provides proof that the quotes attributed to Ronaldo (the quotes in virtually every paper in the world) are fake, i can only take them as being real.

I understand that its unusual for Ronaldo to give the little interview/sound bite to a smaller brazilian (portugeese speaking) publication, but he would know the outcome would be the same but less hassle... quotes carried in every paper in the world.

And Gerrard never even NEARLY did anything like that. He handed in a tranfer request when he thought Liverpool were trying to flog him behind his back and then withdrew it within 48 hours.

Ronaldo isnt even man enough to hand in a request, he is doing all his work by fuelling the media, bit by bit. Yesterday was the culmination of it with Ronaldo telling Utd and Real, through the media, he wants to go. Shocking.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

I stop watching football if he breaks Zizou's transfer record.

ha ha ha dont even try and compare the two situations, they are totally different.

even with them being so different, wat Gerrard did was poor form, many havent forgiven him for it to this day.

Probably the same fans that were burning his shirt outside Anfield during Gerrards who can give me more money saga! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Boggles wrote: »
    "We tried three times last season to talk with Steve about the future and a new deal and he said that we needed to wait," said Benítez. "So we waited. Then people said it was about whether we could win trophies here and we won the most important trophy in the world [the Champions League]. So they said we needed to improve the squad and now we are.

Oh Gerrard is a grade A prat as well. That whole nonsense of holding the team ransom to his demands, and expectations, was ridiculous.

However, much like his diving, it went under the radar, and not much of a fuss was made because; he is a British Bulldog, one of her majesty's own, surely he can do no wrong. He even has been man crushed by Andy Gray, the same bloke Liverpool fans claim has it in for their club. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I stop watching football if he breaks Zizou's transfer record.

stop lying, doesn't suit you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

If Fergie was half the man he used to be he'd let Ronaldo rot in the reserves.

Only if he put personal vendettas over table position.

ffs like :confused:

• Advertisement
Advertisement