Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giving a 14 month old lasagna cooked with red wine

Options
  • 05-06-2008 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭

Is it safe to give a 14 month old some lasagna that was cooked in red wine?
    The lasagna was very well cooked for about 2 -3 hours.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

The alcohol would be cooked out of it by then, assuming its not a full bottle of plonk of course!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I would be more worried about the richness of the dish with the herbs and the scauses then the red wine in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

If the child was okay with that much meat and dairy, then fine.

The boiling point of alcohol is 78.4 °C. Most cooking will remove most alcohol. The sort of cooking you do with a ragu for lasagna (where you'll first be cooking the sauce on high, and then baking it) will remove all the alcohol.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

I am with Thaedydal on that , how much salt are you using etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

sueme wrote: »
    The alcohol would be cooked out of it by then, assuming its not a full bottle of plonk of course!

I agree with this and think it would be perfectly safe for your little one..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Carrigart Exile

In France and Spain a 14 year old would be having a glass of red wine with the lasagne, they would then learn to treat alcohol with respect and see it as part of a meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

LOL..I was going to reply with this comment also until I realised the question is about a 14 MONTH old...not a 14 year old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Mrs.T

I don't see a problem with the alcohol as long as it's been cooked for a long time. I even have a cookbook for baby and toddlers with a glass of wine being added to a few recipes. I've been giving our wee man wine and port sauces.
    Out of interest why would the herbs and richness of the dish be worrying? I never add salt to my dishes but I do add lots of herbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Mrs.T wrote: »
    Out of interest why would the herbs and richness of the dish be worrying? I never add salt to my dishes but I do add lots of herbs.

I'm with you on that Mrs T, if the salt content is low. My girl was always given a little of what we were having at that age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

It is good for babies to have some so of what ever is going they need to expand and devleops thier taste buds but it's something I would way has to be ramped up to for the sake of thier palete and also thier digestive system.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Carrigart Exile

Ludo wrote: »
    LOL..I was going to reply with this comment also until I realised the question is about a 14 MONTH old...not a 14 year old.

eek I hadn't noticed the months, sorry OP:D

Advertisement