Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie Mobile - boards.ie on your portable device

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Any chance of making a mobile version of the new threads in your subbed fora?

The full version is far too large to be loading on a mobile phone.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    i'm using opera mobile and it seems to be forced to use the mobile skin. The homepage shows up normal but all other pages are mobile. Is it possible to stop that, so i have to explicitly go to m.boards.ie to get the mobile skin? Opera mini does it but not opera mobile

And i'm wondering why sigs don't show up on the mobile skin. Is it a technical issue or was it a conscious choice?

Conscious choice.

I've disabled the automatic switcher entirely, let's see if it has an impact.
    jmccrohan wrote: »

Don't know what you're referring to? If you're using the mobile site, your subbed list directs you to the mobile version of the forum.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

CuLT wrote: »
    Don't know what you're referring to? If you're using the mobile site, your subbed list directs you to the mobile version of the forum.

Sorry, what i mean was, when i am using the mobile skin, pressing the home button brings me to the normal home page. Would it be possible to make a mobile version?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

I've disabled the automatic switcher entirely, let's see if it has an impact.
    that's fine now thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

On http://m.boards.ie/mobile/subbed.php if you click New Posts at the top this does what you want I think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

that's fine now thanks
    No, it's not. It's horrible! Now if I click links in my email on my phone the full version loads instead of the mobile.

Is it possible to allow users toggle the mobile auto-detect on a per-user basis please?

THanks

Random wrote: »
    On http://m.boards.ie/mobile/subbed.php if you click New Posts at the top this does what you want I think.
    Kinda, but I'm looking for a list of new threads in my subbed fora only.

EDIT: basically what i would like is a mobile version of this.

Kinda, but I'm looking for a list of new threads in my subbed fora only.

EDIT: basically what i would like is a mobile version of this.
    Yeah the mobile version of that keeps breaking, http://m.boards.ie/mobile/?filter=subbed should work correctly now.

Also updated it to reflect the other additions to the filter list, but I'm not sure how well the filters actually work on various mobile browsers, no way of testing myself either.

Yeah the mobile version of that keeps breaking, http://m.boards.ie/mobile/?filter=subbed should work correctly now.

Also updated it to reflect the other additions to the filter list, but I'm not sure how well the filters actually work on various mobile browsers, no way of testing myself either.
    That page works, but when i click the home button in the mobile skin, it takes me to the full version. Perhaps the link in the skin is wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

quarryman wrote: »
    Maybe I'm blind but how do I change back to another skin once I'm in New Mobile, I don't see the drop down bar anymore.

Also, the user CP is limited and doesn't show 'options' so I can't change it manually in there.

bump!

quarryman wrote: »
    Maybe I'm blind but how do I change back to another skin once I'm in New Mobile, I don't see the drop down bar anymore.

Also, the user CP is limited and doesn't show 'options' so I can't change it manually in there.
    Click this link.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

yeah that works. Bit awkward though tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

I don't know if this has been posted already but when viewing a locked thread with the mobile skin, I still see the reply box down the bottom. It hasn't happened me so far but I reckon it would be pretty annoying to write out a big long reply using your phone only to find that you can't post because the thread has been locked already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Is there anyway the reply box would auto scroll like on bebo mobile. Its a pain in the hole typing blind and then having to go through the menus to manually hit enter on the phone so you can fix typing errors.

Random wrote: »
    No, it's not. It's horrible! Now if I click links in my email on my phone the full version loads instead of the mobile.

Is it possible to allow users toggle the mobile auto-detect on a per-user basis please?

THanks

Meant to say, i'm not too pushed about this either way and both ways have advantages so if more people want it it's fine by me. Being brought to the full version by clicking links has been annoying me recently

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Meant to say, i'm not too pushed about this either way and both ways have advantages so if more people want it it's fine by me. Being brought to the full version by clicking links has been annoying me recently

I'd prefer auto-detect myself. The full site isn't half as easy to navigate on the phone.

I guess I should add a book on mobile web usability to the ever increasing list of books I need to read on behalf of boards.ie.

Right now I need to set some time aside to task up what needs/should be done with the various sites, including m.boards.ie, which is probably worth a lot more time than it is currently being given.

All of your feedback is much appreciated by the way, otherwise it'd be total stabs in the dark on my part.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Frowny smiley comes out as happy smiley on mobile boards. Don't know if that's been reported

feylya wrote: »
    Frowny smiley comes out as happy smiley on mobile boards. Don't know if that's been reported

everything comes out as happy smiley on m.boards.ie

• Advertisement

everything comes out as happy smiley on m.boards.ie
    You used to be able to click on the smiley to see a not found url. At least that way you could see what smiley was being used. Now clicking a smiley just redirects to the full fat homepage.

You used to be able to click on the smiley to see a not found url. At least that way you could see what smiley was being used. Now clicking a smiley just redirects to the full fat homepage.

this is true

• Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Those using iPhones can tap and hold the smiley and the URL for it will pop up.

IRLConor wrote: »
    Those using iPhones can tap and hold the smiley and the URL for it will pop up.
    Not all of us use those dreaded things. ;)

I've rewritten the mobile "homepage" to match the rest of boards mobile for a more fluid experience (original was sort of a tossed together "proof of concept" when I pitched it).

If you spot any glaring problems (which there probably are) let me know.

I've rewritten the mobile "homepage" to match the rest of boards mobile for a more fluid experience (original was sort of a tossed together "proof of concept" when I pitched it).

If you spot any glaring problems (which there probably are) let me know.
    Any chance of spacing the threads out a bit more? They all become a mess on a mobile device.

I prefered the old page. This one has too much going on.

Any chance of spacing the threads out a bit more? They all become a mess on a mobile device.

I prefered the old page. This one has too much going on.
    This one actually has exactly the same amount of information, less in fact, as it omits the date now, just has time. Unless you mean something more vague and unquantifiable...?
    Font size?

How small a screen do you have? I did some basic testing on the N95 in the nokia test labs, and the virtual version of Opera Mini.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

This one actually has exactly the same amount of information, less in fact, as it omits the date now, just has time. Unless you mean something more vague and unquantifiable...?
    Font size?

How small a screen do you have? I did some basic testing on the N95 in the nokia test labs.

Looking good,feels a bit cramped,dunno why,but screw it,i like the option to see subbed forums new threads.

Any Chance of sorting the sig thing. Like if i have a sig on full boards,but have view sigs off,it still shows up for other users. Can something like that be done for mobile. Currently when i post mobile,sig isn't coming up on full boards. Which makes me a sad panda

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Personally, I would ditch the [Forum] and (Replies) as they're not useful to me. Just my take on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Any ideas why boards mobile wont work on my blackberry?

I have a Blackberry Bold, using it with O2. All other sites seem to work fine, but m.boards.ie keeps coming back with an error:
    HTTP Error 503: Service Unavailable

The server is currently unable to handle your request due to a temporary overloading or maintenance of the server.

While trying to retrieve the URL: http://m.boards.ie

The following error was encountered:
    Unable to determine IP address from host name for m.boards.ie

The dns server returned:
    Server failure: The name server was unable to process the query.

It's been throwing back this error for weeks now - any ideas?

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement