Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie Mobile - boards.ie on your portable device

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Maybe the device-type identification thing is having difficulty recognising a Windows Mobile device..

mick_irl wrote: »
    Any ideas why boards mobile wont work on my blackberry?

I have a Blackberry Bold, using it with O2. All other sites seem to work fine, but m.boards.ie keeps coming back with an error:

It's been throwing back this error for weeks now - any ideas?

ditto and tis making me crai :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

Whatever formatting change has been done recently now means that the mobile home page looks a mess on my N95. The original nicely formatted with smaller font version was great, except perhaps you could double the number of recent posts on the home page to display. But today's version just looks like someone didn't bother formatting it. The lines wrap around with quite a large font.

I've changed no settings on my N95 either. I'm using the built in browser and always have been.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

AlanD wrote: »
    Whatever formatting change has been done recently now means that the mobile home page looks a mess on my N95. The original nicely formatted with smaller font version was great, except perhaps you could double the number of recent posts on the home page to display. But today's version just looks like someone didn't bother formatting it. The lines wrap around with quite a large font.

I've changed no settings on my N95 either. I'm using the built in browser and always have been.
    Yea. I pointed that out when it first changed. It needs more spacing, and bolding for thread titles etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

jmccrohan wrote: »
    Yea. I pointed that out when it first changed. It needs more spacing, and bolding for thread titles etc.

I never use the home page to be honest. I have my user cp and subscribed threads bookmarked,and i go to new posts from there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Nerin wrote: »
    I never use the home page to be honest. I have my user cp and subscribed threads bookmarked,and i go to new posts from there.

How do you find new threads in your subbed forums tho?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Any chance of putting back on auto-detect mobile theme on Nokia n95 8gig browser please?

Random wrote: »
    Any chance of putting back on auto-detect mobile theme on Nokia n95 8gig browser please?
    Ask your old friend sam there :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

jmccrohan wrote: »
    Ask your old friend sam there :p
    He'll get a punch in the face for making such suggestions !

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Random wrote: »
    He'll get a punch in the face for making such suggestions !

i'd second this. i know i was the one who asked for it to be disabled but it's annoying me :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,671 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Has the font size and/or font type been changed on the mobile version of boards?

and has the default posts per page changed? mine's only showing 5 for some reason

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

i don't think i like the fewer posts per page. It's less data per page but you have to change the page much more, it's working out about every 20 seconds for me

Also, it can't quite decide how many posts there are per page. I clicked on a thread that was supposed to have 5 pages. When it opened it said it had 2 and had more posts. When i clicked to the second page it went back to 5 pages and contained posts i'd already read

Maybe it could be made an option in the user cp?

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

I removed the font size specifications to see if it had an effect on the built-in browsers on Nokia devices etc. Facebook does the same, figured they had probably looked into the whole thing a bit more thoroughly than I could.

Fewer posts per page is a plugin I found on vb.org that doesn't actually seem to work correctly. I'll likely end up removing it altogether.

Also someone mentioned adding thanks... may not work quite as well considering javascript doesn't execute, so you'd be redirected every time you clicked the button.

CuLT wrote: »
    Also someone mentioned adding thanks... may not work quite as well considering javascript doesn't execute, so you'd be redirected every time you clicked the button.

personally i wouldn't mind. there are already a lot of sites i use on my phone that use javascript so i have to deal with that anyway.

currently if i really want to thank a post i add the page as a bookmark, edit the m. in m.boards.ie out of the bookmark, go to the link, find the post and thank it, where the page then has to reload. i think having it on the mobile version would be a bit easier :)

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    personally i wouldn't mind. there are already a lot of sites i use on my phone that use javascript so i have to deal with that anyway.

currently if i really want to thank a post i add the page as a bookmark, edit the m. in m.boards.ie out of the bookmark, go to the link, find the post and thank it, where the page then has to reload. i think having it on the mobile version would be a bit easier :)

Hah, that is some dedication :) Ok, will put it on the to-do list.

Hah, that is some dedication :)

it's only for the really really good ones :)

Um,in opera i just go to enter address-then current address-then add the www. Much easier and quicker.

Nerin wrote: »
    Um,in opera i just go to enter address-then current address-then add the www. Much easier and quicker.

i'm not using opera mini ;)

• Advertisement

i'm not using opera mini ;)

That explains that so :P

Opera Mini is great, more people should use it.

Although I vaguely recall people having some misgivings, something to do with the caching iirc.

Although I vaguely recall people having some misgivings, something to do with the caching iirc.

not caching exactly. every time you make a request it goes via their server that compresses everything before sending it to the phone. so any sensitive info you send on it is being sent to opera. personally i don't mind

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

i don't think i like the fewer posts per page. It's less data per page but you have to change the page much more, it's working out about every 20 seconds for me

Also, it can't quite decide how many posts there are per page. I clicked on a thread that was supposed to have 5 pages. When it opened it said it had 2 and had more posts. When i clicked to the second page it went back to 5 pages and contained posts i'd already read

Maybe it could be made an option in the user cp?

I pretty much agree with everything here. I thought I was going insane this morning because of page numbers. I'd been looking at a thread on the Film forum last night on my mobile and it had 4 pages. This morning when I went looking for it it took me ages to find it because I was scanning the page for number of pages and when it only had 2 on the pc skin I couldn't see it. Then the same thing happened on another forum and I though I was loosing my mind.

The new font is ok, but I preferred the old one.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Whats wrong with the pay version? :P

Speaking of which, I tried it and there doesnt seem to be a mouse icon unlike the Nokia browser.

mick_irl wrote: »
    Any ideas why boards mobile wont work on my blackberry?

I have a Blackberry Bold, using it with O2. All other sites seem to work fine, but m.boards.ie keeps coming back with an error:

It's been throwing back this error for weeks now - any ideas?

It works when I use wifi and configure the browser to the hotspot mode

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Okay, just noticed something while browsing m.boards.ie. My phone, nokia e62, is only showing 4/5 posts per page rather than the usual 15, which is quite annoying. It seems to be the same when i log on with IE7 too...

Okay, just noticed something while browsing m.boards.ie. My phone, nokia e62, is only showing 4/5 posts per page rather than the usual 15, which is quite annoying. It seems to be the same when i log on with IE7 too...

look 3 posts up from yours ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

It works when I use wifi and configure the browser to the hotspot mode

Just tried that and it works now!

Cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

AAARRRGGHHHHHHHH, apologies, 3 posts above mine goes onto the previous page, posting off a phone so i just decided to post.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement