Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mystery Folder: C:\Program Files (x86)

• 05-06-2008 6:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭

I needed to re-install Vista on my newly delivered Komplett PC last night cos something happened to the existing installation and the PC wouldn't boot.

When I was re-installing the OS, it informed me that as there was a pre-existing version of Vista there already, any files for that version would be moved to a folder called Windows.old from where I could access them later if I needed to.

The new install was completed fine, but I've noticed that apart from the Windows.old folder, underneath the usual C:\Program Files folder there's now a second one which says C:\Program Files (x86). The sub-folders are largely the same, although there are some noticeable differences (eg, Microsoft Games exists under the first, but not under the second), so the folders are not identical.

Also, any programs that I download or install are defaulting the install path to the (x86) folder.

Anyone know what the story is with this mystery folder??

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Branoic wrote: »
    Anyone know what the story is with this mystery folder??

It's for the old fashioned 32bit x86 programs, c:\Program Files is reserved for AMD64/x86-64 apps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

I see. So it would be a bad idea to delete the whole folder? Should I leave programmes with their default install path if they want to install into that folder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

I see. So it would be a bad idea to delete the whole folder?

OH GOD YES!!! Don't delete that folder. If you have this folder it means you've installed a 64bit version of Vista. Vista needs this other programs files folder when installing legacy 32bit software (i.e. pretty much 99.9% of the software you will want to use with vista)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

Right, probably leave it alone so :) So if I've changed some install paths on some programmes from this folder to the normal Program Files folder, will it have caused any problems? Should I re-install them in the correct (x86) folder?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Right, probably leave it alone so :) So if I've changed some install paths on some programmes from this folder to the normal Program Files folder, will it have caused any problems? Should I re-install them in the correct (x86) folder?

Realistically it won't have any bearing or impact, it's mostly for the sake of organisation. They're still normal folders.

• Advertisement
Advertisement