Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ronaldo

• 05-06-2008 7:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭

Apparently he will be out of contract in July. He is recovering well from his injury (witness late nights hijinks with ladyboys ;)), so what do we think will happen to him. Will he play another season with a European side, or stay in Brazil?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

id say he won't be short of offers anyway. id still have him at Liverpool in a heartbeat as backup for Torres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Agreed with Rebel.

Would love to see him in a bit-part role at United. (I say i would love it, please dont start Achemides!)

Id have him as an impact sub....savage player in his day. His pace is not what it once was which was what made him the phenom though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

hope he sparks up his career again.

he's the REAL Ronaldo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Predhead

judas101 wrote: »
    hope he sparks up his career again.

he's the REAL Ronaldo

He's the fat Ronnie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Imagine the chants of theres only one Ronaldo if Utd signed him. Would have to be the fattest strike force ever with Rooney

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Predhead

Imagine the chants of theres only one Ronaldo if Utd signed him. Would have to be the fattest strike force ever with Rooney

With this lad to get a job on Utd's coaching staff.

_38182725_quinn_150.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    id say he won't be short of offers anyway. id still have him at Liverpool in a heartbeat as backup for Torres.

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Agreed with Rebel.

Would love to see him in a bit-part role at United. (I say i would love it, please dont start Achemides!)

:confused::confused:

I wouldnt want him if I was a C`Ship team supporter. He is past it, he struggles with weight and he is injury prone. His general WC play in 2006 was poor, his goal record was quite litreally a run of luck of being in the right place during poor defending, nothing more. Its a bit like that Simpsons where Homer is a boxer and wins fights more on luck than actual talent. Its a sad end for a formerly great player but he wouldnt last more than one season in England top 4. Both Liverpool and Man U have the funds and the sense to look for younger back ups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Ronaldo's ****ed sad to say. i don't think he'll ever play in anything other than a part time capacity again. training day in day out with a premiership will be beyond him should he ever fully recover unfortunately. and he wont play for another year anyway so no one will go near him in the mean time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

Ronaldo's ****ed sad to say. i don't think he'll ever play in anything other than a part time capacity again. training day in day out with a premiership will be beyond him should he ever fully recover unfortunately. and he wont play for another year anyway so no one will go near him in the mean time.

i hope (and think) he proves you wrong.

G'wan da Ronnie!

• Advertisement

Ronaldo's been written off so many times at this point its just funny. Despite everything, he still maintained a better then 1 goal every 2 games average after his move to Milan. Like i said, id take him in a heartbeat as backup to Torres. He's past being able to be a first 11 guy week in week out but i think he still has a lot to offer as an impact sub and occasional starter.

judas101 wrote: »
    i hope (and think) he proves you wrong.

ruptured ligaments at 31 years of age? that can take up to two years to heal properly, never mind that his recovery speeds will decrease with age. I'd love it if i were wrong, but i think his future in the big leagues will be limited to spectator. and even if his body is up to it, he has to get his head around to it, and i don't think he ever had that strong a personality, as good as he was.

ruptured ligaments at 31 years of age? that can take up to two years to heal properly, never mind that his recovery speeds will decrease with age. I'd love it if i were wrong, but i think his future in the big leagues will be limited to spectator. and even if his body is up to it, he has to get his head around to it, and i don't think he ever had that strong a personality, as good as he was.

dunno about that, he's come back from some horrific horrific injuries and still kept his game at an incredibly high level. He had been fairly well and truly written off before his comeback for WC 2002 but then went on to have a fantastic campaign followed by some great, high scoring, years at Real. He's always always scored goals by adapting his play a bit, regardless what other parts of his game have dropped off. Had a fantastic attitude to his football before his latest injury as well, looked great. If anyone can make the comeback to a decent level of football after this its him imo.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    dunno about that, he's come back from some horrific horrific injuries and still kept his game at an incredibly high level. He had been fairly well and truly written off before his comeback for WC 2002 but then went on to have a fantastic campaign followed by some great, high scoring, years at Real. He's always always scored goals by adapting his play a bit, regardless what other parts of his game have dropped off. Had a fantastic attitude to his football before his latest injury as well, looked great. If anyone can make the comeback to a decent level of football after this its him imo.

there's a big difference between the pre 2002 injury and now. back then he was a massive commercial product and literally had millions invested in his image. there was a huge amount of commercial pressure for him to return and play again. he wont have that pressure this time round, and he wont have the resulting support either. there's a danger he'll be left very much on his own now, his contract runs out in June doesn't it? that will be difficult for even the strongest of players....

there's a big difference between the pre 2002 injury and now. back then he was a massive commercial product and literally had millions invested in his image. there was a huge amount of commercial pressure for him to return and play again. he wont have that pressure this time round, and he wont have the resulting support either. there's a danger he'll be left very much on his own now, his contract runs out in June doesn't it? that will be difficult for even the strongest of players....

I'm not sure what the current situation is, but at the time of his injury Milan said they would be happy to extend his contract by another year to help him back to fitness. They've always been fantastic for that (Redondo). Even if they dont extend his deal im sure another club would be happy to take him in and help him regain his fitness. Also even after his move to Milan when his star had largely fallen, he still put in immense work to get himself into the best shape he'd been in for years. I know what you're saying, it is very tough, it was a particularly bad injury and it would be tempting for him to just say fukit and just retire, which is entirely possible. Im just saying i have a lot of faith in the guy judging by how he's handled injuries in the past and the hunger he seemed to have for the game before the last injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

F*ck it, i hope Pats sign him. Himself and Quigley would be awesome

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

monkey9 wrote: »
    F*ck it, i hope Pats sign him. Himself and Quigley would be awesome

Nah you would still need O'Neill to do the donkey work have to accommodate him like this

O'Neill
    Quigley Ronaldo
    Ndo
    Kirby Fahey Guy
    Lynch
    Paisley Harris
    Ryan

2-5-3 is the formation of the future

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

ronaldo is the man! plain and simple. if it were not for injuries he had the potential to quite simply be the best ever!!! and i dont think im overstating that. remember him at inter?? i mean wow!! made the new ronnie look like Ali Dia!!

he may never play at that level again but to say things like you wouldnt take him at a championship side is just ridiculous!! michael chopra scored a bunch of gaols down there and my granny can run faster than him!

Advertisement