Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Dart Track/Dart Extension

Options
  • 05-06-2008 7:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭

A couple of years ago the government made a big splash about extending the Dart as far South as Gorey- since then i have not heard a squeek,

as its a single track between Bray and G'stones is the lack of capacity the reason for this not going ahead?

Does anyone out there (dept of transport peeps?) knows is there a plan to build a second track before the next millenium??

I know they have said that a second Bray head tunnell/ track running over Bray head was either unfeasible or too expensive, but with the huge growth of population in Greystones (and further south) surely this should have been a priority in 'Transport 21'?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

I had heard rumbling of the Dart being extended to Kilcoole, but not Gorey.

The folks over in the commuting forum might be able to offer more informed opinions and there tends to be people in the know over there....

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭ro23

I was listening to George Hook on the radio about 2 months ago and they had Barry Kenny From Iarnroid Eireann on and he said that they're thinking of putting a second track from the station in greystones to the tunnel, and that it would be too expensive to bore a new tunnel through Bray Head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

Isnt it great that they were able to do it in the 1880's but its out of our reach in 2008!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It won't happen. As it is DART to Greystones was a bad idea. The most Bray-Gorey will get is extra commuter services. Which do you think is a priority 40km of track to serve 500,000 people or 40kn of track to serve 50,000-70,000 people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 essentialjc

Just wondering on this subject, what with the new Marina etc - will the need arise for a new 2nd track? would have thought this would be looked into?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭BigglesMcGee

They come out with this guff every now and then about doubling the tracks, but i dont think they ever will.

Count yourselves lucky in Greystones. If the dart got extended you would never get a seat in greystones or bray on it anyway.

Advertisement