Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timetable - what you think?

Options
  • 05-06-2008 7:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Just been hearing a lot of negative comments towards the new leaving cert timetable, that hannafin has 'punished' the people who do home mec and chemistry.

I do chemistry, yes I had 3 hours of english, and then 3 hours of chemistry, but to be honest, i thought it was fine. Either way whether you do it now or two weeks from now, you still gotta do it, so why not just get it over and done with? I think the new timetable is good.

What are people expecting really? theres 60000 people doing the leaving cert, theres obviously always going to be someone upset, why cant people get that? they cant accomodate everyone....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

they could of have religion and classical studies or latin on instead instead of chem and home ec :/
    I wasn't on full form for chemistry after the 3 hours 20 mins of english and it hurt me
    But now that she's gone it'll probably change again

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭eoin2nc

New timetable is crap for me. Ye i get 3 half-days to start off with, but next week Ive 3 full days,6 exams. It hasnt changed anything

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I think the decision to put Irish and Business on the same day was very stupid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Postman-Layla

A friend of mine does Home Ec and Chem, but she was saying it wasn't that bad. She got feeling back in her hand during the first hour of break, so it didn't really affect her in that sense.
    Considering that I don't do either, I did kinda love the extra half day's time to study for paper two.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 PuddinBum

titan18 wrote: »
    I think the decision to put Irish and Business on the same day was very stupid

True that!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Well your not going to please everyone. However by having English Paper 2 on today, you were helping the 80% of students who don't do it. Equally only 15% do chemistry, so the majority are happy.

You know Religion is all writing too, so they'd be unhappy. Classical Studies and Latin aren't held on their own so that would be unfeasible. I think people just want a reason to complain. Their finding the exams tough, and hey lets just blame something that isn't our fault.

I don't think everyone would be happy with the whatever way it goes. You just have to deal with it. And all this talk of "oh the home ec. and chemistry people are treated worse". Yeah well guess what, Ive to do two 3 hours exams for Tech Graph and you don't see me fuc*ing complaining. Its the leaving Cert what do you expect, Batt O'Keefe to deliver tea on a golden platter every five minutes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 conroy221

Well thats true i suppose, but then again, theres still people who do religion, still people who do latin, so either way you cant please everyone.

Nicely said turgon, ha,

Put it this way, every year people will find one reason to complain, so this is their reason to complain this year. I think it would have been worse to have two english papers on the same day instead of english and chemistry to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭delta214

I thought it were quite nice
    I do chemistry and didnt think it too taxing

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Whoever decided to put History after French deserves... Well, they deserve to have to do those two exams and see how it feels... :mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

I'm personally delira that I'll have half my papers done and dusted before the first weekend. For the rest of my exams I have a few days to prepare for each one, and a bunch of half days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I'm glad the two English papers weren't on the same day. My arm's still hurting.
    Real glad I only have one full day. That said, my leaving cert doesn't finish until the 20th, and if the mocks are anything to go by, I'll have lost interest in the whole thing this time next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 ShogunWarrior

I had chemistry after Paper II today and I thought it was fine. I like the English papers being on separate days anyway, I imagine everyone else does also. Chemistry isn't an essay subject so it's not too tough. My hand was straining near the end but I was trying to go as fast as I could to have more time to look over, I don't think it's too bad.

I imagine English P1 and Home Ec are harder on the same day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭tramoredude

Applied Maths on the 20th = load of balls

Surely more people do Applied Maths than Latin?

Whoever decided to put History after French deserves... Well, they deserve to have to do those two exams and see how it feels... :mad::mad::mad:

Yeah what would you suggest?? Put history on two weeks after in a specially commissioned hall in the Bahamas, with free flights for all those who do it? Oh wait, they couldn't cas that would make it "unfair" on some people. But seriously, what would you suggest?? Pick another exam and bet you anything we have people complaining about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 804 ✭✭✭BMH

There's barely any writing in French, and you're not encouraged to learn a lot off by heart, so it fits nicely with a subject where you write a lot of regurgitated facts.

Also, you may have three full days next week, but combinations like maths and Irish doesn't compare to being expected to write 30 pages of English over a space of over 6 hours.

The new timetable is a major improvement.

Exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭spillit67

Splitting English was a great decision and fair play for that. I do think though that one of Maths P2, Irish 1 or 2 should be on this week or maybe on the wednesday or thursday of next week.

It all comes down to money really though, they want as many people finished by Wednesday or Thursday next, less examiners means less money.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Well I heard that there gonna switch it around annually so it wont be chemistry and home ec next year (as people would actually go as far as not to choose these subjects for the leaving cert knowing the timetable...)

I had two half days so im happy.

my time table is alright, i finish friday the 13th with next wednesday off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭xxGalwayGirlxx

No problems...finished the 12th would be earlier if I had two tests everyday tho!

Wish my last test was in the Morning tho, so i could just get it out of the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

I'm repeating this year so i've got experience of both timetables and to be honest I prefer this one. People are saying that its unfair for people to have two exams in the one day (people who take home ec and chemistry) but last year it would've been the same, except EVERYONE would've had their two english exams then two exams the next day and possibly two exams on that friday. To be honest, it makes no difference really. People are just looking for something to complain about!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

KeyLimePie wrote: »
    they could of have religion and classical studies or latin on instead instead of chem and home ec :/
    I wasn't on full form for chemistry after the 3 hours 20 mins of english and it hurt me
    But now that she's gone it'll probably change again

Or they could leave Religion as it is because I am doing it :pac:

However as the OP has made out they cannot accomodate everyone, and the splitting of English even if you did chemistry would have saved a good bit of writing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Raichu-17-08-2008

I actually didn't mind it, had Home Ec after English 1. At least it was one more out of the way and gave me more time to focus on paper 2. No matter what way the timetable goes there's always going to the that select group of people who feel hard done by.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Jakkass wrote: »
    Or they could leave Religion as it is because I am doing it :pac:

However as the OP has made out they cannot accomodate everyone, and the splitting of English even if you did chemistry would have saved a good bit of writing?
    Ya even if you are doing chemistry or home-ec your still going to be writing a lot less in the day than if you were writing 2 english papers.

Though considering I don't do either its very easy for me to say this and I do feel sorry for the people who had to do both.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

i tink this new timetable is a lot fairer and it gives students more of a chance. the only problem that i have with it is that i wish hey had split up monday a little so irish and maths werent on the same day

We all have difficult days, Irish paper 2 and Business are hardly ideal, but we will get on with it. It's just a part of life.

i must admit monday is a little bit overboard, with maths paper 2, irish and an irish listening, but thats only because i dislike irish, so thats my problem. Otherwise i think my timetable is fine, the thing is like is that I dont have two papers of one subject at the same time, becuase then you would just get sick of the subject. I would say that what has happened, is that one school has complained, and the news and radio have hopped on the story, they wont listen to anyone who just says, yea its grand

• Registered Users Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

To be honest, i think anyone who is doing French and History will know that it's going to be one of the worst days. And business too with Irish Paper 2 ? Bit scandalous really

After Business I will feel much better, then only German and Religion after that, clean open stretch. Maybe it is better like this as we will enjoy the space at the end to focus on those subjects?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 H-esperanza

I am dreading french and history but theres nothing i can do now except do it.
    I had home ec yesterday and i must say it wasn't fun seeing everyone leave off home to prepare and relax for paper two. I know that you can't please everyone, but it does make you feel more hard done by when there is only 10 of you left in the exam hall. I loved having the english split up though, as it helped ease everyone into the process. I know there is no conclusion really, i'm just saying I understand both arguements.

• Advertisement

yea thats fair enough, but whether you had it yesterday, or two weeks from now, would you still not feel hard done by having to come in two weeks from now, and have to do it? Same as engineering, there should be quite a few people doing engineering, yet its the last exam, so, you win some, you lose some, thats life really

Advertisement