Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timetable - what you think?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Turquoise

I had chemistry today and didn't think it was too bad, certainly no worse than having two english papers would be. On the other hand, last minute revision on the both of them yesterday was tough.

Yeah, of course people are always going to complain about it, and rightly so! It's the feckin Leaving Cert! Our one and only privilege this year is moaning, let us have it! Lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SRFC90

Jakkass wrote: »
    We all have difficult days, Irish paper 2 and Business are hardly ideal, but we will get on with it. It's just a part of life.

That is truely viale though. The worst day by far for myself, closely followed by 2mo!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SRFC90

conroy221 wrote: »
    yea thats fair enough, but whether you had it yesterday, or two weeks from now, would you still not feel hard done by having to come in two weeks from now, and have to do it? Same as engineering, there should be quite a few people doing engineering, yet its the last exam, so, you win some, you lose some, thats life really

I have French next wednesday, then 9.....yes 9 days tilll my final exam of engineering!!! :mad::eek::mad:

Plenty of time to study for it though and might even go out after French! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

turgon wrote: »
    Well your not going to please everyone. However by having English Paper 2 on today, you were helping the 80% of students who don't do it. Equally only 15% do chemistry, so the majority are happy.

You know Religion is all writing too, so they'd be unhappy. Classical Studies and Latin aren't held on their own so that would be unfeasible. I think people just want a reason to complain. Their finding the exams tough, and hey lets just blame something that isn't our fault.

I don't think everyone would be happy with the whatever way it goes. You just have to deal with it. And all this talk of "oh the home ec. and chemistry people are treated worse". Yeah well guess what, Ive to do two 3 hours exams for Tech Graph and you don't see me fuc*ing complaining. Its the leaving Cert what do you expect, Batt O'Keefe to deliver tea on a golden platter every five minutes?

I agree with you that there's no way you can please everyone, but really have the department thought what this will do to the numbers of people taking Chemistry? I think it would have been much fairer to put English paper 1 on with Chemistry.

Today was just an awful day for me - My two worst subjects in one day!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 conroy221

lizt wrote: »
    I agree with you that there's no way you can please everyone, but really have the department thought what this will do to the numbers of people taking Chemistry? I think it would have been much fairer to put English paper 1 on with Chemistry.

Today was just an awful day for me - My two worst subjects in one day!!

To be honest, if you are just taking a subject so it 'fits in to your exam timetable' you shouldnt be taking that subject. Your meant to take a subject because you have an interest in that subject.

• Advertisement

conroy221 wrote: »
    To be honest, if you are just taking a subject so it 'fits in to your exam timetable' you shouldnt be taking that subject. Your meant to take a subject because you have an interest in that subject.

I know that but at the same time how many people have you heard saying "I'm doing this subject for points" Same thing really, they don't have an interest in that subject

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 conroy221

i know thats fair enough, but the point is, if your going into a subject just needing the points, and have no interest in the subject, i really dont think your gonna get very far in that subject either way

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

if you could have your way tho, would you go back to the way it was???

personally i prefer it like this, sure some people feel hard done by but if english was altogether every1 would feel hard done by!! I tink the new idea that they're talking about- rotating the exams on a yearly basis is just plain stupid to be honest!! They should just decide on something and st=ick with it i think to be honest!! But then thats the irish government for ya!! :rolleyes:

I think that having so many exams over 13 days is ridiculous. Why couldn't they put English paper 1 on around Christmas or Easter? You can't really learn anything for that paper and it would be one less thing to worry about!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Stressed!

I do home ec and chemistry..............................EXHAUSTING!!!!
    Very bad timetable
    4 honour papers in 3 days!!!!:eek::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

Stressed! wrote: »
    I do home ec and chemistry..............................EXHAUSTING!!!!
    Very bad timetable
    4 honour papers in 3 days!!!!:eek::mad:

but if the timetable hadnt changed you'd have had maths and irish and english 1 +2, so really it should make no difference me thinks!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,935 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I only had English this week so I got it real easy so I wouldn't have minded Accounting being on. I mean, it's not all writing, writing and more writing. Little theory on it. It would have been perfect...IMO anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭La0Fruitcake

i have history and french on the same day!!!!
    then the next day biology and art apprec!!!!! terrible!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Stressed!

but if the timetable hadnt changed you'd have had maths and irish and english 1 +2, so really it should make no difference me thinks!

Good Point............never thought about it like that............i would have liked the break between exams 4 chemistry and home ec though!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭tasha1

hogey143 wrote: »
    To be honest, i think anyone who is doing French and History will know that it's going to be one of the worst days. And business too with Irish Paper 2 ? Bit scandalous really
    I's Gonna Hurt..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 florencexxx

I do Chemistry so I had a full day yesterday and two half days...then I have full days Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. I don't think it's too bad cause it's kind of a lead into it or whatever but I'm worried that I'll be exhausted for History. =/ And then I have Physics on Monday which is annoying but...whatever.

I suppose whatever happened there were going to be problems. I don't think it's too bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 drunknmunky_69

Ya irish paper2 and business is gonna be a bit of a b&*%h alright. With liek what 8 essays to write for irish then straight into business with abq's and whatnot. Then ive biology on thursday.Gonna be a nasty week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭melboix

Whoever decided to put History after French deserves... Well, they deserve to have to do those two exams and see how it feels... :mad::mad::mad:

Truth, man. It's gonna be horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Ino112

titan18 wrote: »
    I think the decision to put Irish and Business on the same day was very stupid

Totally agree! I do both subjects at higher level, so maybe I'm biast?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,935 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I'm repeating this year so i've got experience of both timetables and to be honest I prefer this one. People are saying that its unfair for people to have two exams in the one day (people who take home ec and chemistry) but last year it would've been the same, except EVERYONE would've had their two english exams then two exams the next day and possibly two exams on that friday. To be honest, it makes no difference really. People are just looking for something to complain about!

I'm repeating too. This years timetable is a God send! It is by far, much nicer than last years...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Nanaki

How about putting paper 1 of maths english and Irish, and even french around easter?
    Fix the bloody exams first, then go about worrying about when they're on.

Even having the orals and stuff before Christmas, there's time to prepare.

Practicals could easily be done in 4th yr (5th for most people, whatever you call the year before LC) the work should be done by then, most people doing a practical subject have been doing it since first year by then (not myself - I've only done engineering for 2 years, didn't do metalwork for JC)

I think any languages should have at least 50% for the oral, and two papers for every science subject - one on theory and one on experiments, applications, real-life etc.
    Oh, and make History an optional module for art, give the students a choice of 50-50 history-practical or all practical (or all history, even)

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Nanaki

I'm glad the two English papers weren't on the same day. My arm's still hurting.
    Real glad I only have one full day. That said, my leaving cert doesn't finish until the 20th, and if the mocks are anything to go by, I'll have lost interest in the whole thing this time next week.

same here.
    Glad I have 3 days to study for physics and 4 for engineering.

I think its great.. so much better then last year.

I had english and home ec on the first day too and it was sound. Nealy 2 hours in between, don't see why people should be complaining.

And now, it's even better, I finished yesterday and I'm not back in till monday evening. Great timetable in my eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 x-katz-x

I have to say, so far my timetable has been pretty good but like some of u guys im not lookin forward to irish paper 2 and business bein together... ugh thats gonna b nasty. Overall i only have two full days which im happy bout. I dont finish til the 19th but at least it gives me extra study time for music i guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

Well I think haveing chemistry after english paper 2 (should have it after paper one if anything)is a bit annoying
    i could feel myself losing concentration in chemistry( the clock stopped and i only noticed 30mins later<major hit on my timing>) oh well it cant suit everybody can it. got 3 full days n all but thursday was the worst and i think it will be the worst for me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Providing the timetable stays the same next year, I think I'll be a little annoyed that the subjects I don't find as easy are on early. I would like more time for Chemistry and the pile up before History will be a pain as I won't have as much time to refresh my memory. =/

I'll probably be over prepared for Physics and Applied Maths. I like these subjects so I'll also be a lot more motivated to study for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 looly

Tbh i think the timetable is great, i only have one full day, maths and irish next monday, then after biology on thurs i have until tuesday for Spanish and Thursday for religion. im not finished til the 19th, but sure when we've been in school for the last 14 years, what's an extra few days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭melboix

Nanaki wrote: »
    How about putting paper 1 of maths english and Irish, and even french around easter?

I do think the Paper 1 of English and Irish could be done earlier. I suppose they'd have to be slotted in before mocks really though...

But in fairness, there's no preparation to be done for either really, 'cept essay writing which you can do in 5th year no bother. We only did a week dedicated to it this year, we were encouraged to work on our own the rest of the time. He'd correct 'em and give advice etc. I thought it worked fairly well.

Otherwise I'm happy enough with the timetable. I don't like the French/History combo, but tbh, I don't think I was gonna be happy with anything being on the same day as History :p

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭littlneutralone

If I was writing this on Wednesday night I'd probably come across a bit teary, highly strung, mental, what have you.

But with a clear and experienced perspective, it's not so bad. The dooming prospect of 3 hours of chemistry will be my official excuse for screwing up English, but that's just to cover up my severe ineptitude. Last year I would have been exhausted and facing hours of maths and Irish cramming, it's all the same :o

Otherwise it's worked out better for me, I would have had a big jam of Maths, Biology and French next Monday and Tuesday but instead they're all nicely spread out the whole week. Monday's my only day with two exams, all the other days I have one in the morning when they say I am 'fresh', yes.
    And I get a whole weekend to dedicate to physics.

AND I finish a day earlier than I would have.

Ramble. In summary, Mary Hanafin deserves a hug.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 prawn

I prefer the new timetable! I do chemistry so I had a full day with english 2, and it didnt really bother me. The truth is that if you haven't been studying up til then you arent going to be able to cover the whole of the maths paper 1 syllabus in 3 extra hours that afternoon and its really just keeping your concentration going a tad longer than your average school day. Besides Id rather have those two on the same day than both maths papers or both english papers. french with history does look horrible though.

Advertisement