Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timetable - what you think?

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I was very happy with the English papers separated and I did Home Ec, got on grand. I know next week will test me though. I haven't slept properly all week and I don't think next week will change much! Three days and my remaining six papers. Pretty chuffed about finishing so early though!

EDIT: I have a question! Last year were the aurals on after the written paper too? I'll be ready for a nap by then, last thing I'll be able to do is listen to a droning tape.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Bambi16

3 half days this week was handy but now Im panicking cause 3full days this wk and biology thursday. French and History?

SHOOT ME!

Also, the time should be extended for History 3 essays in 42.5 mins?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

is it just me or is it funny bambi tellinn us to shoot it.

dont worry im sure ull do well keep your hopes up

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Bambi16

is it just me or is it funny bambi tellinn us to shoot it.

dont worry im sure ull do well keep your hopes up

I was speaking theoretically bout shootin me :pac:

May change my username now

• Registered Users Posts: 31,935 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Twee. wrote: »

EDIT: I have a question! Last year were the aurals on after the written paper too? I'll be ready for a nap by then, last thing I'll be able to do is listen to a droning tape.

Yeah they were, I think they could be done earlier, maybe in late April. They are a waste of precious study time between exams.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Ck1989

I'm pretty happy with the timetable, maybe that's only because I'm doing pass maths and i'm not counting Irish so there's no real pressure. Only other day with two exams is History and French and at least History's on after lunch, that's my hour for studying Parnell! (just in case :))

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭laura*

BRILLIANT English papers were on seperate days
    BUT...

i'm one of the fortuante people that didn't have an exam after english,
    especially for paper 2!
    My hand was sore all day thursday, and i know i couldn't have managed writing another exam half way decent!

so, i can't say it was all good,
    cause it wasn't for the people who had home ec or chemistry!

Maybe English Paper 2 should be on friday next year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭keefs08

Ye its alot better having seperate days for the english papers...
    wouldve been a better idea 2 have d aurals b4 the written 2 get ya in the mood of the language everyones gona b dead... (asleep i mean)by the end of d tape!!:D
    Geog u sooo need more time!!
    i really feel sorry for ppl doin history and french thats a toughy alrite!!:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 whiplash!

the time-table was so bad for me. i do home-ec, chemistry and honours maths. you think they would have taken the fact that most people who do chemistry are going to be doing honours maths into account. Half way through maths I felt like I was about to collapse. also I didn't get a proper chance to read over any of my chemistry or english paper 2. and 3 hours of chemistry joined with 3 hours and twenty minutes of english paper 2 works out longer than english 1 and 2 on the same day. my right arm still feels numb.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

mars bar wrote: »
    Yeah they were, I think they could be done earlier, maybe in late April. They are a waste of precious study time between exams.

Absolutely. It'd be great to have then over with by June. They could also then be conducted in smaller rooms with less people. My exam centre has awful accoustics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 2022rae

everyone is going to have complaints about some of the days they have!

i personally think that the splitting up of the english was a very good idea, i don't the exams that follow but i heard bad things and good things, but really can you imagine doing both eng papers on day 1?! hell!!

i think the only day i would argue for me is biology and art history >.< both need facts and art history is long essays and both require hard long and lots of thinking..other than that all is well with the timetable layout

next monday, maths p2 irish p1 and the aural is a loooong day too but at least nearly everyone is in on that together :)

hopefully they will eventually find a timetable that suits most people, there will of course always be those to complain, they have to go through a few testers first of course though.

is it just me or does this not feel like the lc at all?! i was freaking out more for the pres like!! ha ha ha! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭keefs08

2022rae wrote: »
    everyone is going to have complaints about some of the days they have!

i personally think that the splitting up of the english was a very good idea, i don't the exams that follow but i heard bad things and good things, but really can you imagine doing both eng papers on day 1?! hell!!

i think the only day i would argue for me is biology and art history >.< both need facts and art history is long essays and both require hard long and lots of thinking..other than that all is well with the timetable layout

next monday, maths p2 irish p1 and the aural is a loooong day too but at least nearly everyone is in on that together :)

hopefully they will eventually find a timetable that suits most people, there will of course always be those to complain, they have to go through a few testers first of course though.

is it just me or does this not feel like the lc at all?! i was freaking out more for the pres like!! ha ha ha! :p
    Gawd ye!!it really doesnt feel like d lc at all!!:oi felt like doin d jc was so much more of a big deal,wel prob coz we never did a state exam before and we didnt no wat d expect!but still it feels really weird not like wat we all imagined it 2 b like!listening 2 d radio wit ppl goin ovr d papers i was surprised how much there freakin out!!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 conormob

If i had my way i would have the leaving cert span over a month, with everyone only doin one exam a day and if its possible everybody would have at least a day or 2 gap between exam.
    I find it very hard to have to have 2 exams a day especially when there 2 high content ones.:confused::confused:;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Mine's mostly like that. : p Only day I have two exams is tomorrow, because it's Maths and Irish, and everyone has that. Otherwise it's all half days or days off. Handy enough, though it's quite possible I'll have burned out by the end of this week. (If not by the end of today, oh Irish why must you forsake me.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭quoteunquote

Damn music holding me back from my celebrating til the 19th.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭kangaroo

conormob wrote: »
    If i had my way i would have the leaving cert span over a month, with everyone only doin one exam a day and if its possible everybody would have at least a day or 2 gap between exam.
    I find it very hard to have to have 2 exams a day especially when there 2 high content ones.:confused::confused:;)

That's what they try to do in some college courses.
    In the past there used to be the matric that started the Monday after the Leaving Cert. That meant that the Leaving Cert had to be in a fairly short period of time. I think they should put of the exams into that week to spread things out.
    If they want to make the best use of the invigilators they could have Junior Cert students in the mornings and Leaving Cert students in the afternoons (say).

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭kangaroo

lizt wrote: »
    I think that having so many exams over 13 days is ridiculous. Why couldn't they put English paper 1 on around Christmas or Easter? You can't really learn anything for that paper and it would be one less thing to worry about!

I agree.
    I thought it was one of the weakest excuses ever when I heard a teachers' union objecting saying having the English Paper 1 paper on a Saturday morning in April or May would interfere with students' revision. I think the real reason was the principals/etc didn't want to have all the bother. I think students are used to having a somewhat flexible timetable with regard to weekends - you never know how much homework you'll get for one thing.

Also even with the 13 days of the Leaving Cert they don't make the best use out of them - they should put one of the major subjects into the third week so that everyone has at least two weekends. They could then pair subjects up which rarely go together according the figures e.g. maybe Home Economics and Construction Studies/Applied Maths. But at the moment they have all the major subjects in the first 8 days of exams so most people are going to have a lot of days where they've two subjects in the one day.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Nanaki

I realised last night while studying for french and thinking in Irish,
    they've Irish two days after a weekend (during which people will have been studying Irish, assumably) and then French the next day?
    What the hell.
    German isn't till Friday

Advertisement