Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hummous

• 05-06-2008 8:17pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I bought some hummous today to put on wraps instead of mayo and it's lovely. But theres so much so does anyone have recepies or suggestions for it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭BaRcOe

ha i clicked this thread thinking it said humorous. then I was like thats not funny.:rolleyes:
    God i should get glasses:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Recipes to make it, or use it? My husband regularly eats hummus for lunch, using a red pepper as a base.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Go to the asian shops and get a load of spices, and just mix them in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

Just get yourself some tortilla chips and dig in in front of the tv.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 gas_ticket

Hummous is easy to make.

You will be making a paste of chickpeas. You can buy tinned chickpeas and blend them with a little of the drained liquid. Include some garlic, lemon juice, and sesame-seed paste called TAHINA that you can buy in hundreds of asian shops around the country. Lebanese tahina is great. You will have to stir the oil back into it when you buy it, and that will be hard work for about ten minutes. When it is mixed once, it stays mixed for ages.

Blend the chickpeas so they are not too runny please. A couple of tablespoons of tahina is usually ok for 1lb tin of chickpeas. Add more to taste. Don't add less.

Garlic? one or two cloves should be OK.

Lemon to taste.

A pinch of ground cummin, or a little more.

"some" extra virgin olive oil too. Can't be specific. A couple of TBS would be OK.

Some people put some cayenne, or paprika powder in a pattern on top, and make it look fancy in the process. Dot a stoned olive or four or five on top too.

Serve with pitta bread or for diet reasons serve with or on lettuce - the firm one that I can't think of the name of right now. Infuriating memory lapse. Begins with a C, blast it.

If you buy a tin of hummous be prepared to finish it with "some" olive oil, lemon and tahina, just because 'they' never use enough in the factory.

While you're in the arabic/asian shop pick up a tin of Baba Ganoug, otherwise known as aubergine dip. You'll love it. May need to add some lemon, tahina, etc to suit your taste.

Enjoy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Ooh Baba Ganoush is really nice, if you're a fan of hummous you should like it!

Marks & Spencer do a lovely moroccan style hummous which is really tasty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Cold Hummous as a dip for chipper-chips. Can't be beat.

Anyone else find Tesco Hummous to be very bland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Gram flour is chickpea flour, you can get it in asian stores. It is used to make onion bhajis. I used to make pancakes with onion & curry powder in them in a tiny bit of oil. Mix some curry powder in with the gram flour and it is a nice coating for chicken too.

The asian shops can have huge tins of chickpeas really cheap, tesco do frozen chickpeas now too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Beks

I have it as a snack with raw veg, it's really good instead of crisps when you're watching a movie and your friends are tucking into unhealthy stuff! It's also really nice as an accompaniment with cous cous and roasted vegetables... got this tip from a dish at Cafe bar deli... it's yum!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

how much is hummous in ireland? it's about $2.50 AUD here for a tub, maybe 200ml

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

In M&S, it's between 1.89 and 2.29 depending on type.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 djleahy

Cumin is a fantastic addition too.

Advertisement