Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

business exam, anyone else terrified??

Options

Comments

barcoe4 wrote: »
    We should be going over arithmetic, differentiation, waterfalls, global interdependence and what not for tomorrow!! Its terribly addictive writing on these forums I must say!

Wooo.. none of either for me! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭BaRcOe

Wooo.. none of either for me! :D

you don't do maths?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Honours Irish, jesus fair play, I wasn't up for doing that at all, dropped in 4th year ! Pass Irish and Maths for me. Maths shouldn't be too bad, just full of differentiation really !

Ava-Adore: 'l'odeur de sarcasme' what do you think ? reckon it will get me the marks ?

where is this so called 'City of Delusion.'?

Oh, you havent been? Shame on you.
    you don't do maths?

I'm special.

hogey143 wrote: »

Ava-Adore: 'l'odeur de sarcasme' what do you think ? reckon it will get me the marks ?

You typed that into a translator.. didnt you?

• Advertisement

lol,

Im off to dreamland,

Best of luck with the exams lads!!;)

You typed that into a translator.. didnt you?

Of course, but what else would it be in fairness ? Sorry it is not 'perfected' for your pleasure.

Of course, but what else would it be in fairness ? Sorry it is not 'perfected' for your pleasure.

You need to stop apologizing.. You're embarassing me. :p

You need to stop apologizing.. You're embarassing me. :p
    Excuse me your highness

Excuse me your highness

Yeah... that's me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭jessie11

abq units

6 acts

like abq units and unit one makes up 2 of ur long q n d abq...so thats a gd few marks jst frm four units

act always on d paper n i say the ratio usually come u for short q..

im brickin it...ders so much 2 know and my class was unreal...
    4 of us doin honours

jessie11 wrote: »
    4 of us doin honours

4? :eek:

Out of how many??

twenty something...was about 30 at start...gd few left school..

not many ppl r doin honours in any subjects 2bh

• Registered Users Posts: 14,470 ✭✭✭✭cson

This is summat I wrote for the Irish Times earlier in the year, most of it still holds even this late.
    Me wrote:
    Time to get down to Business!

There’s only weeks left to the mocks, you haven’t got the course done, you can’t remember all the things you’re supposed to and well, there just doesn’t seem to be any light at the end of the tunnel. It’s time to push the panic button, right?

Not at all. You’ve got lots of time. It’s how you use that time that’ll determine how well you do come June. Time is very important, especially in Business. I always enjoyed Business in school, it interested me a lot. But even without the interest you can do very well in Business.

There are basically two things you need to have off to set yourself up for the exam. The first one is the ABQ and the second one is the timing. The ABQ is what gets most people, you can’t just regurgitate what you’ve learned back out, you have to apply it. The best way I felt to do this was, to read the questions very carefully (Take part C of the 2007 ABQ as the reason for doing this), highlight the parts of the text relevant to the questions and base your answer around these highlighted parts using them as quotations. And remember, as tedious as it may be, the old adage of “practise makes perfect” is most definitely true here.

Timing is a major issue in Business. Firstly it’s never too late to start working for the exam although it would help if you started as early as you can. Break the chapters up into little bits to make it easier for you to remember them. You can prioritise some areas; for example you’ll know what sections your ABQ is on, so pay particular attention to them as the examiners will usually draw on those chapters for other questions. Secondly, timing in the exam is of serious importance. You’ll have seen the time you have per question already and you have to stick to that rigidly. Be ruthless with time. I wrote down the time I had per question in the exam itself and kept a track of it throughout. Also its very important you get the finger out as soon as you get in there, be decisive in choosing you’re questions and then get stuck into them. I got stuck in the moment in the mocks and nearly didn’t get the exam finished.

Another important thing is to test yourself. Keep testing yourself and don’t be afraid of getting things wrong (I still remember a question I got wrong in class once). Our teacher was excellent this way, she kept testing us with questions and little class tests every week. It keeps you interested and makes you work. I found Business easy to sit down to study because I’d pull out a Section A short questions and go down through them; they’re short enough to keep you interested and they’re an excellent way of studying. You can really get good marks in the short question section by just knowing definitions and the few diagrams and ratios.

Another thing I think examiners find vitally important and some students neglect is neatness and laying out your answers. I was never the neatest writer but I forced myself to adopt some form of neatness in my answers. Number you’re answers, give them headings, lay them out neatly, leave spaces (You’re not paying for the paper in the exam!), use your red pen liberally. If you make your paper presentable to the examiner they’ll appreciate that. Much more than a page of mono-colour scrawl with no paragraphs.

Business is not a hard subject. You can make it hard by sitting in front of the book reading listlessly. Don’t be afraid of taking time out if you’re mind starts to wander. Two things I did last year was to join boards.ie, a message board where people in the same boat as you talk about things, you can ask questions about anything on Business there and coming up to the mocks we had our own quiz! In the lead up to the exam I used to go on msn and myself and a friend would spend ages quizzing ourselves on Business (No books allowed of course!). I always read the business pages of the paper, they’re excellent for examples of companies and it’ll impress the examiner if you show an up to date knowledge of current Business affairs (Ryanairs takeover bid of Aer Lingus was an example that came in handy for the exam)

I think the reason I did so well in Business was that I applied myself. I was always working, writing never just reading. I always tried to give the best answer possible, I used to time myself too. Coming up to the exam our teacher gave us a full mock paper to do at home, I sat down and gave myself 2 ½ hours to do it. Its excellent practise for the exam, I’d even suggest doing one the day before the exam if you have a free day. I remember being totally relaxed going into the exam, why? – Because I knew all the work I had done before would stand to me. If only take one bit of advice from me make sure its this; apply yourself, its never over til its over so don’t give up, I know it seems like dark days at the minute but believe it or not there is life after June! Come September you’ll barely remember what all the fuss was about in June. Good Luck!

Also, if you're not looking for an A1 and just want a pass or to hike it around hons country, I'd say go for broke and study the chapters your ABQ is on cos they usually base a lot of the paper around them besides the ABQ itself. Cut out the legislation bits at the start too, its only a load of shoite and you won't remember it. Learn the BE formula and Ratios and all that - you can have them learnt in a hour with a bit of practice.

Good luck anyway.

Oh, and use boards to help you study > Ask each other Qs on here so you're not wasting time, you're actually studying!

Answer this someone: Outline the characteristics of a Private Limited Company

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

i'm ****tting myself

I'm only learning units 5,6 and 7
    And break even analysis, ratio analysis and HMR and managing change

Works for my ABQ and covers questions 2,3,6, and 7

If anyone can get "A Question of Business", full of sample answers which you should be learning opposed to going through the book

does units 5,6,7 not cover first section of long qs?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭LayLay

I'm quite worried about business! There is just so much to learn. Maybe I should drop to pass. :confused: At least I have the weekend do some cramming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭tasha1

Jakkass wrote: »
    at the weekend I will be going over this pretty seriously. Unfortunately I do honours Irish which doesn't help very much.

I Know Right..

Oh, you havent been? Shame on you.

I'm special.

Lmao

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 xxxkacixxx

jessie11 wrote: »
    does units 5,6,7 not cover first section of long qs?:confused:

As far as I know units 6 and 7 cover two questions on the first section of long questions, and then unit 5 covers one from the second section. Basically there is only one other long question then to cover I think.

I will definitely be mainly focusing on them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 48 drunknmunky_69

i have business,irish,biology and maths all next week...Im dreading it.Gonna be such a pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Bambi16

My teacher is putting her life on Break Even coming up as a long question and possibly ratios?

Also, people(like me) always do Section 3 question 1, the one on people in business, but my teacher also said that its marked the hardest since it looks so easy?

i have business,irish,biology and maths all next week...Im dreading it.Gonna be such a pain.

I Have All That With History And French too..

Seven Papers..

Four Days..

:[

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

tasha1 wrote: »
    I Have All That With History And French too..

Seven Papers..

Four Days..

:[

Bad buzz isn't it? I'm doing six papers in three days. I'm gonna be so tired!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭blue_belle

id say well get a breakeven point and human resource management in there somewhere

What's the big deal with break even, I mean its possibly one of the easiest things on the exam, look at one for a minute and it will stick!
    Total revenue, fixed cots blah blah, nothing difficult about it!

What's the big deal with break even, I mean its possibly one of the easiest things on the exam, look at one for a minute and it will stick!
    Total revenue, fixed cots blah blah, nothing difficult about it!

I agree. I don't understand why people find it so hard.

It takes about two mins to do!!! It's probably one of the easiest thing on the course. Meh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 drunknmunky_69

Twee. wrote: »
    There could be an EU question because of all this business with the Lisbon Treaty.

There will definitely be an EU question. ABQ will have one q on unit 7 and if its not about eu there it'll surely come up in question 3.

I would love if break even came up as 40 marker. and a lovely full ratios question.
    HRM has to be on it too.
    Id imagine employment equality act will come up in question one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Riotguy

Anyone know what questions they're planning on for Section 3?

I've heard a lot are considering doing two from the first section cos the same Units - 5,6,7 are dealt with there....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Riotguy

Double Post.

Advertisement