Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Whats the best kinda bread out there

• 05-06-2008 8:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

Bread is perhaps the most important item in our daily diet; it has often been called the stuff of life. Bread provides us with more energy value, more protein, more iron, more niacin and more vitamin B1 than most other basic foods.source
    Do you agree/disagree?

The thing i really wanted to know is what bread should I buy as part of my new healthy eating regime?
    I make bowls of Tuna and boiled eggs and need some sort of super low fat bread to put on either side of my egg/tuna so I can take it with me and eat it out and about.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Absolutely do not agree. Bread has more iron and protein than meat or eggs? I don't think so! Nuts and liver are a better source of B1. Niacin (B3) is found in meat, organ meat, leafy green veg, nuts, eggs and tomatoes as well as grains.

Bread does contain some good stuff, but generally in much lower concentrations than you'll find in meat, eggs, nuts or veg, so if you are making your calories count, then it's not an optimal food. If you are exercising very intensely, then you need the high-gi carbs, so eat away.

Also, bread is relatively low in fibre. Even wholegrain bread doesn't compare with things like broccoli or spinach.

I'd say to avoid all white bread or any bread that lists "wheat flour" as an ingredient. Something like McCambriges should be wholegrain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭BaRcOe

Ok so I will go to the supermarket tomorrow and buy whole grain bread as it is the best choice!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

Hi

Aldi do some very good high fiber whole rye bread with or without sunflower seeds and it's less than half the price you would pay for it in health shops.

http://www.thedailyplate.com/nutrition-calories/food/deutsche-kuche-aldi/whole-rye-bread

I've replaced the household sliced pan with Burgen's Soya and Linseed.
    Which is low GI with a higher protien content than average.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Have you though of making your own wholemeal,rye and sourdough are all great

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

2 cups wholegrain flour (or rye or whatever you fancy)
    1 cup buttermilk
    1/2 tsp baking soda (bicarb)
    1/2 tsp salt.

Mix all together to a soft dough.
    Turn onto a floured surface and knead briefly.
    Shape and put into a small floured bread tin.
    OR, shape into a circle and cut a cross on the top, put on baking sheet.
    Bake in a preheated oven gas 6 for around 20 minutes.
    It's done when it sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

Any clients i work with that are having weight problems i.e. they are overweight and need to drop fat the FIRST thing i would recommend they do is drop bread out of the diet completely.

Its just wayyyy to many calories and unless you are doing shed loads of training you do not need it.

Even the best breads are a disaster if the individual A) eats too much of it B) Does not work well on the major carbs i.e. they look at bread, pasta, rice, potatoes and cereals and they gain fat!!

Advertisement