Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Duke Nukem Footage

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,322 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

The video here shows the pertinert parts

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/53010

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Hail to the king baby

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

They dont give much away do they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

The footage of Duke Nukem 3D looks more interesting then the footage of Duke Nukem Forever. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

not much to see but looked ok

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

It looked painfully average.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Telgere

Dunno how you could tell from that brief vid. The shrink gun looks fun.

It looked painfully average.

Oh come on it's duke nukem, it's gonna be fantastic :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Hard to tell if it's going to be any good from the footage, but what an unbelievable exclusive. It's gonna be hard for the lads from Citizengame to top that one :)

Might not be a popular thing to say but I always preferred Shadow Warrior. The original game was better and he was a funnier guy :D A year to go I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

jonski wrote: »
    Hail to the king baby

Blow it out your ass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

wow... that looks a bit average tbh.

surely 10 years of work should culminate in some of the best technology the industry has seen thus far? from that it looks like a hl2 mod...

wow... that looks a bit average tbh.

surely 10 years of work should culminate in some of the best technology the industry has seen thus far? from that it looks like a hl2 mod...

Not really, seeing as they restarted about 5 years ago and are branching off on Unreal 2 tech.

Not really, seeing as they restarted about 5 years ago and are branching off on Unreal 2 tech.

well i doubt they re-started once (i'd imagine it's been a few shifts in focus) but even so, switching engines, re-coding and re-working a game would teach a development team more then most other teams would learn in the course of making a franchise.

even if they switched engines last week, they should theoretically be experts of some sort that can churn out some stunning stuff.

well i doubt they re-started once (i'd imagine it's been a few shifts in focus) but even so, switching engines, re-coding and re-working a game would teach a development team more then most other teams would learn in the course of making a franchise.

even if they switched engines last week, they should theoretically be experts of some sort that can churn out some stunning stuff.

They've also had staffing problems too, so I'm sure they're going slower than most teams if anything. The problem with having a long development cycle, is that certain things are locked down early only restructured within the performance bounds of the existing technology. So they could have all fancy effects by using newer versions of the stuff they're using, but core gameplay and rendering stuff might require huge overhauls if they decide to change stuff half way into development (i.e if they didn't have physics and then did, that would screw them up, or if they decided to write a fast external terrain editor, crap like that). I think this is their 3rd or 4th change now (quake,quake2, unreal, unreal2.0)

They've also had staffing problems too, so I'm sure they're going slower than most teams if anything. The problem with having a long development cycle, is that certain things are locked down early only restructured within the performance bounds of the existing technology. So they could have all fancy effects by using newer versions of the stuff they're using, but core gameplay and rendering stuff might require huge overhauls if they decide to change stuff half way into development (i.e if they didn't have physics and then did, that would screw them up, or if they decided to write a fast external terrain editor, crap like that). I think this is their 3rd or 4th change now (quake,quake2, unreal, unreal2.0)

i accept they've had staffing problems... but i doubt they're the only development team having such issues.

i know it's short footage, but if that didn't have "duke nukem" written on it, you wouldn't care. sure look at the gun menu, it screams HL2. chances are if it wasn't a mod people would be calling it a bit of a rip off.

...and hell, look at valve's development cycle for HL2 for an example of development hell. they still developed something special after it... and built it on their own engine!

i accept they've had staffing problems... but i doubt they're the only development team having such issues.

i know it's short footage, but if that didn't have "duke nukem" written on it, you wouldn't care. sure look at the gun menu, it screams HL2. chances are if it wasn't a mod people would be calling it a bit of a rip off.

...and hell, look at valve's development cycle for HL2 for an example of development hell. they still developed something special after it... and built it on their own engine!

You're confusing a competent game developer with 3D realms ;)

(In case you missed it, I also said it looked average)

(In case you missed it, I also said it looked average)

ah i know. i'm just in the mood for a good argument :D

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Haven't seen the video yet (damn work won't play meh vids), but it's Duke. Duke3D wasn't the best looking, but the gameplay got a cult following, so I'll be looking for more of the same: sh|te graphics, excellent gameplay (as opposed to most single player shoot-em-ups out now, that are shiney, but lack a storyline)...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Jason Hall is a legend. All I could think of listening to him talk is him shouting "Scrotal seperation!" as The Voice in Blood

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

I'm sure it will be great. After all, Daikatana was in development for ages too remember. God I hope Uwe Boll makes a daikatana movie...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Maximilian wrote: »
    I'm sure it will be great. After all, Daikatana was in development for ages too remember. God I hope Uwe Boll makes a daikatana movie...

I'd love if he did... and it was great.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Rhyme wrote: »
    I'd love if he did... and it was great.

Oh the irony!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

the_syco wrote: »
    Haven't seen the video yet (damn work won't play meh vids), but it's Duke. Duke3D wasn't the best looking, but the gameplay got a cult following, so I'll be looking for more of the same: sh|te graphics, excellent gameplay (as opposed to most single player shoot-em-ups out now, that are shiney, but lack a storyline)...

Agreed. I'm pretty excited about this tbh.

Advertisement