Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Kiss

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

meant to come back last week and put some pics up, just haven't really had a chance, so I'll definitely try and get it sorted this week, just got the Alive35 Live CD of the Arrow gig, haven't listened to it all yet, but sounds good so far.......

Ger - Bruce is still part of Kiss in some form, but I'm not sure what happened there, it might have been his own choice.....I used to think the same but really the Makeup just relates to the guitar player in the band, and Tommy is the guitar player, he does a solid job so I'm fine with it nowadays, and now that himself and Eric are more involved with singing and stuff it's great - the one thing I didn't really agree with was re-recording the classics with the new guys, it kinda takes something away from the songs......but that's a different argument :)

I'm really hoping they do as Paul said and come back next Summer, I think they were surprised themselves by the success of the Euro tour, and hopefully they've seen the benefit or it....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Yeah, if they come back I'll buy tickets to two shows!

Bloody awesome.

As for the Tommy thing, I'm fine with it. It's about personas not names.
    And if he was that important than it should be noted that Ace was an asshole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 dubharlinn

Hello!!
    I'm Diego from Spain.
    I have just seen Kiss alive in concert in Bilbao (Spain) a few weeks ago.
    Espectacular!! Good show. I have never seen them before because It's not common to see Kiss in Spain but I will remember it forever!!

kissbb8.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Vim Fuego

I love the story Dio tells in the "metal:a headbangers..." documentary about Gene copyrighting the term 'O.J.'.

Kiss are one of those bands I've heard a few tunes, not really thought much about them. What's a good Kiss album to start with?

I think the 3 alives are good! But studio disc I recommend you Destroyer. The best studio album in my Opinion. A classical ;)
    I like Creatures of the night very much too... and.. all!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Kiss are one of the old school rock bands that I still haven't seen live yet. I defintely do want to see them before they hang up the stack heels. It's a sad fact that there isn't a big market for this type of music in Dublin on a large scale.

I'd start with Destroyer or Dressed To Kill....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Vim Fuego wrote: »
    I love the story Dio tells in the "metal:a headbangers..." documentary about Gene copyrighting the term 'O.J.'.

Kiss are one of those bands I've heard a few tunes, not really thought much about them. What's a good Kiss album to start with?

A greatest hits would be your best place to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭KevLeppard

I kinda prefer the non make up era of KISS. Hot in the Shade is probably the best of that era. Animalize is really cool too. Paul Stanley, what a legend.

I was very unsure about Tommy too. I have the live DVD they released awhile ago and he does nail every part. So that kinda won me over. I still reckon they need to do an album with Tommy to properly justify putting him in any form of make up. I think he used to play in KISS tribute band. He also used to be Gene's PA and make Gene his coffee!! But who is laughing now??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Just out of interest, too anybody who saw them live, did they still play Beth?

As for which album to start with, Al!ve 1 and IV or Destroyer are their best

I saw Kiss live in Bilbao (Spain) two months ago and they didn't play Beth.
    Neither "God gave rock and roll to you" :(
    ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭OLP

Destroyer and Love Gun would be my favourite studio albums

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 139 ✭✭Aelfric

I grew up on KISS in Australia in the late 70's and early 80's. They were absolutely massive at the time, and still are big crowd pullers down under. I was rather miffed that my Dad wouldn't let me travel the 75 miles by train to Melbourne to see them in 1980, but I suppose I was only 12 at the time! The gig was broadcast live on TV anyway, so I got to see them.

I missed them after I returned to England in 84, coz I thought nobody had heard of them - how wrong I was! Bon Jovi brought Paul Stanley and Dee Snider (Twisted Sister) onstage at Donington in 87 for the encores, and I was in heaven. In 88, Kiss played, sans makeup of course, but did a lot of their old stuff. Awesome. Then, finally, in 1997, I flew over from Dublin and saw them in Manchester with my 2 younger brothers, who had never seen them live. They used to play my LP's when I was at work, and both really liked them, but the look on their faces when the black curtain dropped, the fireworks went off, and the first chords were stuck said it all. We were witnessing the original four in all their 1977 glory, and for me I can honestly say that I will die happy.

Sadly, Ace and Peter have once again departed, but Peter was finding it too hard to keep up, and I saw a video of a gig, possibly Vegas, were he was clearly following a drum track, because his hands weren't making the rolls and fills. Sad to witness. Now there are stories about Paul's state of health, which may cause him to miss some shows. Who the hell can they get to replace him?

I wasn't too sure about the Tommy doing Ace thing either, but he has been working with them behind the scenes for years, and I think even contributed to Music From The Elder if I'm right. It was sometime around the transition from Ace to Vinny anyway. I know Vinny played on Creatures of the Night, even though Ace is on the album cover.

Anyhow, great band, will be forever my favourite. GS family jewels is funny but makes me cringe. He's pretty much a parody of himself.

Fave songs? Naked City, Love Gun, Beth, Strutter, She, Creatures of the Night, Raise Your Glasses.

Fave albums? Love Gun , Paul Stanley Solo, Unmasked, Psycho Circus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

Aelfric wrote: »
    I grew up on KISS in Australia in the late 70's and early 80's. They were absolutely massive at the time, and still are big crowd pullers down under. I was rather miffed that my Dad wouldn't let me travel the 75 miles by train to Melbourne to see them in 1980, but I suppose I was only 12 at the time! The gig was broadcast live on TV anyway, so I got to see them.

I missed them after I returned to England in 84, coz I thought nobody had heard of them - how wrong I was! Bon Jovi brought Paul Stanley and Dee Snider (Twisted Sister) onstage at Donington in 87 for the encores, and I was in heaven. In 88, Kiss played, sans makeup of course, but did a lot of their old stuff. Awesome. Then, finally, in 1997, I flew over from Dublin and saw them in Manchester with my 2 younger brothers, who had never seen them live. They used to play my LP's when I was at work, and both really liked them, but the look on their faces when the black curtain dropped, the fireworks went off, and the first chords were stuck said it all. We were witnessing the original four in all their 1977 glory, and for me I can honestly say that I will die happy.

Sadly, Ace and Peter have once again departed, but Peter was finding it too hard to keep up, and I saw a video of a gig, possibly Vegas, were he was clearly following a drum track, because his hands weren't making the rolls and fills. Sad to witness. Now there are stories about Paul's state of health, which may cause him to miss some shows. Who the hell can they get to replace him?

I wasn't too sure about the Tommy doing Ace thing either, but he has been working with them behind the scenes for years, and I think even contributed to Music From The Elder if I'm right. It was sometime around the transition from Ace to Vinny anyway. I know Vinny played on Creatures of the Night, even though Ace is on the album cover.

Anyhow, great band, will be forever my favourite. GS family jewels is funny but makes me cringe. He's pretty much a parody of himself.

Fave songs? Naked City, Love Gun, Beth, Strutter, She, Creatures of the Night, Raise Your Glasses.

Fave albums? Love Gun , Paul Stanley Solo, Unmasked, Psycho Circus

great stuff, and yeah I would have loved to have seen all 4 of them on stage, but probably not like that, no point in going on and not playing - at least you know Paul is singing live.......I too can die happy having seen them in Holland this year - but I want more......

damn I'd die now to hear Naked City live - but I just can't ever see them doing that.....:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 R Palmer

Was anybody at this gig ?

CCF15082008_00001.jpg

Advertisement