Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas bill

Options
  • 05-06-2008 9:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭

Just got my gas bill today and it's 202 euro-eek! It covers usage from 19th March to 23rd May. Was it cold enough in March for central heating because that's all I use it for. The bill isn't estimated either. My last one was 334 euro. Can't understand it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Was hte last one estimated?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Don't even start me on gas. They overestimated me again this month by more than 100 units, despite the fact that I phone in meter readings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

Over estimate as much as possible before the increase in October and get next winters gas at this years prices!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Lizzykins

No it wasn't estimated. I thought it might be a third of that amount this month. I'm going to look back over the last few months and see if the unit price has gone up. It's crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭iceman777

How big is your house/apartment?

For a 4 bedroom house it cost me about €250 for that period with 3 people living in the house including me. It was quite cold in March and April and I even had an open fire on maybe twice a week.

I remember a lot of my friends that live in gas homes complain about how much they had the heat on and how much the gas was costing them.

• Advertisement

4 bed detached house with 6 people living in it. Now I remember my hubby had the gas fire on a bit in the evenings so that might account for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

yeah blame your hubby :P

im dreading my gas bill this monrh. my gf use to leave the heating on 24/7 when i worked nights.

she moved out a week ago when we broke up and now the bill is due in a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Lizzykins wrote: »
    Now I remember my hubby had the gas fire on a bit in the evenings so that might account for it.

Oh yes, those things burn (literally) gas and money. Complete waste too, as the heat dissipates as soon as you turn it off. Also, how many hours a day would the gas boiler be on? It wouldn't take more than a couple of hours a day to run up a 200 euro bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

Feeling smug at my €79 bill for two months, and again neither was estimated :D

The boiler is one for one hour a day in the mornings for hot water. None of the rads are on at all. I'll see what the next one comes to. Does anyone know if you can work out the cost of running gas appliances? You can do it on the ESB website for electric appliances. It will give you the cost of running a fridge for a month or a washing machine doing a couple of loads a day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

4 bed detached house with 6 people living in it. Now I remember my hubby had the gas fire on a bit in the evenings so that might account for it.

get rid of your gas fire they use an awful amount of gas with very little output!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

The boiler is one for one hour a day in the mornings for hot water. None of the rads are on at all.

Ours runs for an hour and a half in the morning, and an hour in the evening to keep hot water in the tank, no rads on these days. Last month, the bill was 160. We also have gas hobs on the cooker (but electric oven). If your's was 200, then it must have been the gas fire. Wait for the next one, if it's more than 100 then something is not right. Even in the dead of winter, ours never went more than 220 for two months.

Advertisement