Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toe clips - need straps?

Options
  • 05-06-2008 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭

Brother-in-law asked me about toe clips so I went off to CRC's site. Nothing. To Bikedock and found some.

My bike came with toe clips AND straps. Why not at Bikedock? (and why are toe clips so hard to find).

Is it okay just to get the toe clips?
    (My sister bought a bike that came with clips and straps and was advised to remove the straps until she got used to the clips and bike)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

daymobrew wrote: »
    Brother-in-law asked me about toe clips so I went off to CRC's site. Nothing. To Bikedock and found some.

My bike came with toe clips AND straps. Why not at Bikedock? (and why are toe clips so hard to find).

Is it okay just to get the toe clips?
    (My sister bought a bike that came with clips and straps and was advised to remove the straps until she got used to the clips and bike)

Those type don't need straps, I got the same ones on a bike a while ago, and they're fine without straps

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭AndyP

Those pedals look like they would not even cope with the smallest abuse. However, proper clips and straps are lethal, even if you are used to them, so maybe normal pedals with good grip or cheap (spurious) spds might be a better option.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I've used that type before, both before my SPD days and on holiday. They work OK but don't retain as well as the ones with straps. You can't fit straps to them, they don't have a hollow section for the strap to pass though. AndyP is right though, proper straps are lethal, the more so if you are unused to them. Clipless a better bet.

This type provide somewhat better retention than nothing at all (in particular your foot won't slip forward) with less chance of getting stuck in them than with straps.

As to why toeclips are so hard to find, it's the same reason cantilever brakes or down-tube shifters are so hard to find, they are an obsolete cantankerous technology that deserves to be retired to the grave ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

As a starting point (and a low priced one at that) I'll get the toe clips and mention clipless to him if he gets more involved with cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

daymobrew wrote: »
    As a starting point (and a low priced one at that) I'll get the toe clips and mention clipless to him if he gets more involved with cycling.

I still have mine at home, and you're welcome to have 'em if you want -save you having to order anything, and I've no use for them. You can pick em up along with your boards kit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I still have mine at home, and you're welcome to have 'em if you want -save you having to order anything, and I've no use for them. You can pick em up along with your boards kit?
    Appreciate the offer. On the boards kit, I'll get it next week or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I'm only getting back started on the bike and I'm using my old mountain bike. I don't want to spend a lot on it as I intend getting a better bike if I stick to it. But I'm finding the pedals slippy especially in the rain. Usually when I'm starting off at lights etc. Are there cheap grippy pedals you can get? Mine don't seem to a fitting for toe clips.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Are your pedals plastic? If so, they will be slippy and grippiness will be much improved even with bog standard metal pedals. For more grip still, try a downhill MTB pedal like a DMR V8 (or copy.)

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=563

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Yeah plastic.

Advertisement