Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

calculators + writing

• 05-06-2008 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭

Holy mother of mawlya. Got a sweet ass sharp writeview el-w531 calculator today (allowed, right?). Well, it can do things such as tell me cos of 2 pi over 3 is minus a half, just like that.

Would it be very unwise to write it down like that in an exam, even if it's a Q such as complex numbers? If you get the correct answer, do they break marks off for work not shown?

This calculator even looks like it can do crap like standard deviation. Do any of you use it for that? How? :D It can't pop up what the formula for standard deviation is, right, and that's what makes it legal in the LC?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Fuascailt

To be legal for the exam, it can't integrate, differentiate or solve equations. There's a link on the front page of examinations.ie that tells you about calvulators. i had to change mine a couple of weeks ago, it was too good

ANd if your in radian mode, make sure you switch back to degrees when necessary. otherwise you'll get weird ass answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Ri na hEireann

This Calculator is not legal.......sorry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Hey, I have that calculator too and I heard that you're allowed to use it. Apparently it even solves quadratics. However the examiner will notice if you put down an answer without working it out fully...

But yea you are allowed to use that calculator. The only ones you're not allowed are ones the you can programme formulas and notes into.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Nothing wrong with using a calculator for computations like cos(2pi/3 -1) or whatever.

I doubt the standard deviation function will be of any use since you're rarely given a set of numbers and asked to find the SD of them, usually there's symbols involved and the calculator would be of no use then...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭kirving

I have a Sharp FX-83ES, the "natural display" one. If you stick in a function it gave all the points on a graph and also does Standard deviation. Is that allowed or not?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

Sharp ELW531 is allowed (and no, it doesn't solve equations).

Casio fx-83ES is allowed

Sharp ELW531

at the risk of sounding extremely stupid that's the black one right?

lizt wrote: »
    Sharp ELW531

It's the one that says "ELW531" just under the word "Sharp"
    ;)

(And yes, it's black, but calling it "the black one" doesn't narrow the field much!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,711 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

lizt wrote: »
    Sharp ELW531

:eek: racist!

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭moggins7

declan_lgs wrote: »
    It can't pop up what the formula for standard deviation is, right, and that's what makes it legal in the LC?

am never heard of logs tables??? theres more than just triangles in those... statistics pg. 34...

sorry but if you dont know that by now...:(:(:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭declan_lgs

Sweeet.
    moggins7 wrote: »
    sorry but if you dont know that by now...:(:(:(
    :o Should I drop to pass? :(

Em no thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Milktrolley

Sharp ELW531 is allowed (and no, it doesn't solve equations).

How'd you find that oot? Not doubting that's its the truth or whatnot, just curious is all :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Kathy_x_x

Ah crumb!!! I used the Sharp EL-W531:|

better bring a diff one on Monday then!!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Even if my calculator was super fancy I wouldn't know how to bloody use it! I just got the hang of the FX83ES Casio!!

How'd you find that oot? Not doubting that's its the truth or whatnot, just curious is all :D

Because you can get a complete list of all of its features from the manual (or from the manufacturer's website,) and check that it does not have any of the features prohibited by the relevant circular on the SEC website.

Kathy_x_x wrote: »
    Ah crumb!!! I used the Sharp EL-W531:|

better bring a diff one on Monday then!!!

Huh? Why do you need to get a different one, given that this one is ok?

Well if that Sharp one is banned, which I seriously doubt, then sharp are guilty of false advertising. When I bought it it had a huge sticker on the front saying "suitable for a-levels and leaving Certificate"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Peslo

Eh HELLLO peoples!! The examiner wont know if you've used a super-fancy calculater!!
    As long as you write the model of a legal one in the space, then fair balls to ya I say!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 padkav

Some of them examiners are Maths teachers!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭~Candy~

I have a Sharp FX-83ES, the "natural display" one. If you stick in a function it gave all the points on a graph and also does Standard deviation. Is that allowed or not?

really how ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Boink08

Does anyone know if the Casio fx-570ES is forbidden? And if it is, what is the penalty for using a forbidden calculator? Do you think they would apply a penalty even if you used a forbidden calculator in a subject like Geography?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Graphing calculators aren't allowed in the LC as far as I know.

The Sharp EL-W531 can do all the statistics questions and standard deviation with the button. It also does the mean with the press of a button. Was just looking at the instruction manual.

http://esupport.sharp.at/scripts/dwnview.php?dir=/om/30_cal/&file=ELW531-G-H-HA-W535_OM_GB.pdf&ID=10788&SK=9634e248a5fcdc58c8dad366a5af8518&DocType=OM&CT=1

Look at the 2nd page of the PDF in particular.

wooo!! this forum was quoted in the irish times!! I was very proud to see my comment in print!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Peslo

This actual thread????

Yes this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 robynk18

so is the sharp el-w531 allowed or not??? freaking out right now. please help!! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Isaac702

Also remember that if your calculators have any instructions on their covers either leave the cover outside the exam hall, remove the instructions or cover them firmly if the instructions cannot be removed.

I don't know if the supervisors actually check this however it would be ridiculous to get into trouble over it if they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

is the casio fx blah blah blah one allowed?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭.:FuZion:.

robynk18 wrote: »
    so is the sharp el-w531 allowed or not??? freaking out right now. please help!! :confused:

It better be allowed.. I wrote it on the front of my engineering exam today.. :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement