Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

calculators + writing

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Isaac702

Well there are more than one type calculator in the Casio fx series so without knowing which one you are talking about it could go either way.

I have a Casio fx-83ES and until I am told otherwise I am allowed to use it. I cant seem to find any reference to the functions prohibited in the exam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 robdrog

Someone ring the helpline there...

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Tom1991

really stupid q but what do you set your calculator mode as havent a clue with the amount of option mine has the d n math highlighted im guessin thts correct

Tom1991 wrote: »
    really stupid q but what do you set your calculator mode as havent a clue with the amount of option mine has the d n math highlighted im guessin thts correct

Make sure its in degrees

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Kournikova

The top of my calculator says Sharp EL-531W is that the same as EL-W531

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭MrDrifter

If you do have an uver fancy one like I got stuck with for paper one of my JC, grab the calculator off the lad in front of you, and check the model of that, write it down on your paper, and try not to be TOO obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Prowetod

Besides calculators and pens, what else do we need for tomorrow? Could there be graphs that need to be drawn? Presumably we use graph paper for that right??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

Isaac702 wrote: »
    Well there are more than one type calculator in the Casio fx series so without knowing which one you are talking about it could go either way.

I have a Casio fx-83ES and until I am told otherwise I am allowed to use it. I cant seem to find any reference to the functions prohibited in the exam.

yeah I have that one

eoccork wrote: »
    Besides calculators and pens, what else do we need for tomorrow? Could there be graphs that need to be drawn? Presumably we use graph paper for that right??

Graph paper is given to you and so is the tables book, make sure you have a ruler!

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭DáireM

Anyone got an answer for the sharp EL-W531 calculator? Or am I gonna have to bogey another model onto the paper tomorrow?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭haloauto

I'll be sticking with my faithful Casio fx-85ES ;)

DáireM wrote: »
    Anyone got an answer for the sharp EL-W531 calculator? Or am I gonna have to bogey another model onto the paper tomorrow?

Sharp advertised it as being allowed on their packaging so I presume so its allowed

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭DáireM

robdrog wrote: »
    Sharp advertised it as being allowed on their packaging so I presume so its allowed

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭zodac

Ive got a Casio that can solve quadratics... It cant save calculations form beforehand so is it allowed?

Edit:
    It's a Casio FX 991ES

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭CyberWaste

Im just using the Natural Display fx-83ES Casio calculator, works great for fractions and sutff like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Jam-Fly

Sharp 531VH

assume it's allowed but I'm not entirely sure. Anyone know? It's the white one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

zodac wrote: »
    Ive got a Casio that can solve quadratics... It cant save calculations form beforehand so is it allowed?

Edit:
    It's a Casio FX 991ES

Definitly not!!!

my aul fella has it and it can do calculus, integration and heaps of other stuff,
    thats why i wont be using it because it your not ment to have a calculator that can do calculus as well as graphing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭zodac

landyman wrote: »
    Definitly not!!!

my aul fella has it and it can do calculus, integration and heaps of other stuff,
    thats why i wont be using it because it your not ment to have a calculator that can do calculus as well as graphing!!

Okay thanks, I'm sure i've got a Casio fx-83ES lying around somewhere....

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Jam-Fly

Jam-Fly wrote: »
    Sharp 531VH

Anyone know if the above calculator is allowed? Really don't wanna get the shock of finding out it's not allowed tommorrow morning!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

Jam-Fly wrote: »
    Sharp 531VH

It's allowed.

Now go to bed!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭IPushButtons

lizt wrote: »
    Well if that Sharp one is banned, which I seriously doubt, then sharp are guilty of false advertising. When I bought it it had a huge sticker on the front saying "suitable for a-levels and leaving Certificate"

SEW THE BASTARDS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭IPushButtons

It's allowed.

Now go to bed!

Weight of my mind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

*sigh*

Two year old thread rises from the dead! >.<

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement