Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

no points needed!!??

Options
  • 05-06-2008 10:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

okay,so ive been told,that should i get suitable reference from a highly regarded association etc that it can guarantee my place in college.

im hoping to a course in DIT,i want 2 remain nameless though as well as the course itself.

ive been working in associations of this certain field on and off for the last few years esp during the summer.

i worked with one of the best last summer and have been told that if i want i get a reference from them,send it to DIT and due to the high profile company , i will get accecpted!!!

surly this cant be true??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Eh...what type of course is it? All level 7s and level 8s are done through CAO afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 kbenzema

its level 7,i know its done through CAO which is why im i was shocked but the man in the company said he done it before ,and once or twice before the leaving began:eek::eek::eek:

anybody??

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭BJC

Of course it can work that way, College's want the best students, I can be given a place doing medicine in Trinity if a bigwig in Trinity college so decides. The CAO and points are simply the most fair way for us and the best way for colleges to weed out the idiots. If I don't get the points I need for my course be assured I will be wrting many a letter to year heads and department heads and administrators to show I am enthusiastic and able for the course even though I didn't get the course. Works every now and then.

If you have references saying you are suitable for the course from a refutable source then it is simply up to the college whether they want to accept you or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Stay with Lyon.

• Advertisement

Stay with Lyon.

??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

BJC wrote: »
    ??

Forward who plays for Lyon is the guys username..took my a few seconds to get it too :p:p:p

Stay with Lyon.
    :D:Dim thinking of manchester

The OP's reply will explain all.

Of course it can work that way, College's want the best students, I can be given a place doing medicine in Trinity if a bigwig in Trinity college so decides. The CAO and points are simply the most fair way for us and the best way for colleges to weed out the idiots. If I don't get the points I need for my course be assured I will be wrting many a letter to year heads and department heads and administrators to show I am enthusiastic and able for the course even though I didn't get the course. Works every now and then.

If you have references saying you are suitable for the course from a refutable source then it is simply up to the college whether they want to accept you or not.

Surely that wouldn't work?

• Advertisement

thanks,im hoping to get the points anyway but just in case it might be something to fall back on

Surely that wouldn't work?

I was shocked too, but it's not about fair. Colleges are in competition with eachother for the best students and the best grades, especially research colleges like Trinity and DCU. It's a rat race for them as well as us.

kbenzema wrote: »
    thanks,im hoping to get the points anyway but just in case it might be something to fall back on

Out of curiosity, what area of work/study is this?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Could you tell us the course code op? I know you said you wanted the course to be anonymous but we could probably help better if e knew what course it was!

well to cutt down my course so u might guess its not really dat they are in competition with anyone as only 2,3 colleges do it and were talkning about 2-3 in whole of ireland inc northern!

ok,its auctioneering and valuation

You'll definitley get that with relevant experience!

Very interesting btw!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

They may not require points for it with the reference but as far as im aware the minimum requirements for a course are set relatively in stone, whether the course you want to do has any specific ones or not. If not then the minimum requirements to get into the specific college would apply. So dont let your guard down either way. Give it your best shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭gaybitch

Charming.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement