Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cherokee FM tuning problem (radio)

Options
  • 05-06-2008 10:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi. I recently brought my 1998 Cherokee Country to Europe and ran into FM tuning problems. I've realized that in FM stepping, the US tuners finish only in odd numbers ie 89.1, 89.3, 89.5 etc. and in Europe the stepping needs to be in .1 steps, ie 89.0, 89.1, 89.2 etc. My tuner supports US tuning. Is there any way to reset or undo this without taking it to a car audio shop?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Not that I know of, although someone else might - you'll probably have to replace it with a european unit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Dirty_Diesel

You can get a band expander like the ones used for jap radios. However, this will only give you 90.0, 90.2, 90.4, etc.
    You plug the ariel lead into this unit, plug the cable from the unit into the ariel connection of your headunit and connect one red wire to the ignition live of the radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

You don't need a band expander, they will not solve your problem. They are a solution for a different issue altogether and they won't even give you the frequencies mentioned anyway from your radio.

Unless the unit itself was available in Europe and the US, it's highly doubtful you can switch to European tuning. Even if it was, it will depend on the unit, you'd have to research it yourself. Otherwise you'll need to replace it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

oddtune wrote: »
    Hi. I recently brought my 1998 Cherokee Country to Europe and ran into FM tuning problems. I've realized that in FM stepping, the US tuners finish only in odd numbers ie 89.1, 89.3, 89.5 etc. and in Europe the stepping needs to be in .1 steps, ie 89.0, 89.1, 89.2 etc. My tuner supports US tuning. Is there any way to reset or undo this without taking it to a car audio shop?

Doubtful ..

If the radio was available in europe at some stage there might be a jumper on it or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

craichoe wrote: »
    Doubtful ..

If the radio was available in europe at some stage there might be a jumper on it or something.

It may even be a firmware setting, but you could be looking at a new head unit. Is it integrated, or just a standard single DIN unit?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 oddtune

It's an integrated set with CD and cassette player. Someone told me to try a couple of button combinations but no luck so far. I don't want to replace the whole unit as it will effect the car's originality. I guess I'll need to take it to a car audio repair shop. Any other suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Try going to a Chrysler/Jeep dealer, or conacting Jeep in the US? I don't think anyone "repairs" things like car radios any more..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Mickk

Same in my hummer, very annoying. I asked in hiway hifi radio in rathgar and they said nothing could be done, just buy a new head...

Advertisement