Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

customs

Options
  • 05-06-2008 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭

hi people, really sorry and don't know where to pu t this post but here goes,

I am about to order 2 pallets of goods from China and am wondering how much will customs be and what does the charge consist of?

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Dabko

good morning there,

Customs will value the goods coming in and then base import duty on this. Honestly, not sure how they rate this. Vat is then added at 21% to overall price.

Last year i bought 100x hard drive enclosures for 115 odd quid from china. They were marked as personal goods. Customs called me one morning to say there was duty of 15/18 euro owed on them. They took laser card details and i received the package a week later!

Hope this is of help!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

sure was of help mate, and much appreciated, but would like the precise figures on how it's calculated, cheers
    Dabko wrote: »
    good morning there,

Customs will value the goods coming in and then base import duty on this. Honestly, not sure how they rate this. Vat is then added at 21% to overall price.

Last year i bought 100x hard drive enclosures for 115 odd quid from china. They were marked as personal goods. Customs called me one morning to say there was duty of 15/18 euro owed on them. They took laser card details and i received the package a week later!

Hope this is of help!

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭aidan.connolly

Hi, The rate of duty is dependent on what goods you are bringing in. If you ring one of the freight agents in Dublin or even contact the customs and excise section of the Revenue Commissioners they will be able to give you the rate.
    The duty is normally not recoverable but if the goods are vatable you may be able to recover the vat subject to certain Vat rules. i.e. You are registered for Vat, and the goods are for a business, either for resale or for use in the business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 ChinaImports

shblob wrote: »
    hi people, really sorry and don't know where to pu t this post but here goes,

I am about to order 2 pallets of goods from China and am wondering how much will customs be and what does the charge consist of?

thanks

Hi,
    The following site will give you the various duties payable....
    http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/dds/tarhome_en.htm

Duties and Taxes are calculated as follows...........

Cost Into Ireland = (Purchase price + Insurance + Shipping Costs)
    Duty Payable = Cost Into Ireland * Duty Rate%
    VAT Payable = ( Cost Into Ireland + Duty Payable) * 21%

You Pay Revenue = (Duty Payable + VAT Payable)

The Revenue Duty section are based in Nenagh and I've always found them very helpful. I don't have their number to hand, your local tax office will have it.

I hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 PmcG01

Good explanation ChinaImports.
    What is the situation if you have paid vat (or the local equivalant) already in the country of origin?
    I'm particularly interested in the United States. If I pay the local sales tax on goods to be imported can I reclaim it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 ChinaImports

PmcG01 wrote: »
    Good explanation ChinaImports.
    What is the situation if you have paid vat (or the local equivalant) already in the country of origin?
    I'm particularly interested in the United States. If I pay the local sales tax on goods to be imported can I reclaim it?

Hi,
    As long as your shipping / delivery / billing address is in Ireland/outside the US, the US based supplier should not be charging you VAT/Taxes. VAT and Duty will be charged on this side by the Irish Customs at point of entry.

Regarding the US VAT/Tax refund you'll have to deal with the US customs/IRS to get your money. If you don't want that hassle maybe do a deal with the supplier for a matching credit on your next purchase. The latter might be quicker than getting money our of George W!

When the Irish Customs calculate the duty etc due they'll very likely use the US VAT/Tax inclusive price on your purchase documents. If you can try and have it sorted before the goods land here.

I hope this is of some help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 PmcG01

It was very helpful, thanks again.

Advertisement