Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How much longer before dealers realise we aren't all suckers?

Options
  • 05-06-2008 11:02pm
    Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭

There are 30 or 40 BMW 3 series 07 on carzone on dealers forecourts at 2 or 3k more that the will be new in July with 5k less equipment than the edition model. Nearly every car is about 10k overpriced.

There are about 30 old model 1.9TDI A4s for more than the new one is costing in July, again 10k overpriced.

Finally there are IS220ds execs (but not as many) for 45k with 20k miles, and a brand new one will be 43k in 3 weeks. Again about 10k overpriced.

I've rung up about a few of these cars and the dealers are all saying that the prices are right, however they are offering what are probably proper 'new world order' prices for trade ins, so you would be nuts to go with them.

I really laugh when you hear everyone saying how the forecourts are full of second hand cars that won't shift, no wonder, a lot of them are 20 or 30% overpriced!

Think I am going to have to sit this one out until the all realise they can't try and fool us all...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

you can always come down with your price. I presume they're postponing the inevitible!

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

colm_mcm wrote: »
    you can always come down with your price. I presume they're postponing the inevitible!

except that the haven't postponed what they are offering people as trade ins!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

They're probably just afraid of biting the bullet. If you have a stock of 100 cars and you have to write each of them down an average of €5k (these are fairly realistic figures, btw), you stand to lose €500,000 out of your pocket if you're the garage owner.

I don't blame them for trying to postpone the inevitible, it's a bitter pill to take and it's because of government changes rather than dealer folly.
    Remember the WAR that went on with taxi deregulation, when taxi plates dropped from being worth hundreds of thousands to a generic figure? I'm amazed the dealers haven't screamed and shouted at the gov't and blocked the streets!

It is inevitible though, and only a matter of time before you see the changes. We sold an A4 1.9TDi last week and made a hefty loss on it. There's a Merc garage near us who had a sale in recent weeks that said "€3,000 off everything", and I'm sure if you haggled you'd have gotten more.

The savings are coming, the prices will drop, it's just taking a little while for some business owners (dealers) to get their head around the substantial losses they face by dropping the prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

Theres a lot of businesses that will go close to the wall over this though.

Ive heard of some dealers writing down old stock by between €550,000 and €700,000 due to the falling prices.

Whatever business you are in, thats a bitter pill to swallow. And whatever people may think, dealers are not making the huge profits everyone might think they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

well some fruitcakes are still buying - new.

Last night I saw a new, 08 G reg, C200cdi. Manual. :rolleyes: Cloth seats :rolleyes::rolleyes:. No metallic paint :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:...and no alloy wheels - steel, w/plastic trims.

I couldn't even attempt to look up the price, but whatever he paid for it, it's going to be a lot less in 3 week's time..............

Ditto the local who bought the 1.4D Auris..............

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

You know - i will not sleep tonight thinking about the poor car dealers........sob sob

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

You know - i will not sleep tonight thinking about the poor car dealers........sob sob

+1

Definitely agree, most car dealers are parasitic animals at best. The few nice ones you meet are just that, very rare.

I used to work in the industry.........and the carry on with clocking, price fixing,screwing punters was immoral..........I'm glad I'm long away from it and do my own thing now.
    Karma is i think what they call it...............

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭positron

A local garage ad in yesterday's Drogheda Ind. reads "Our used car prices are VRT-proof"!!

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Have been checking out 5 series recently and have noticed this too - every single 07 / 08 in the country is vastly overpriced! Pretty much all the 08s are over what you will pay brand new as are some of the 07s - and the rest are only marginally below new (even despite higher tax etc). Keary's in Cork have a large selection of overpriced cars; on going in there it turns out these prices are "reduced due to VRT" (with even higher prices on the windscreen)! I wasn't surprised to see that Kearys are now trying to shift *loads* of stock to trade buyers - who the hell was going to buy them in their right mind?! I couldn't be bothered negotiating so I'm importing instead - **** 'em

• Advertisement

I was in a shopping centre car park the other week waiting as my missus was in doing some shopping.
    Got talking to a bloke with a brand new 520d - we exchanged info on BM's etc and how he liked his new car and the mpg etc.
    When I asked why he bought now and not till after july - he said he got a good deal on his trade in.
    I said "fair do's, its musta been good enough to justify dealing now as his BM would be 8.5k cheaper in july" -

His mouth hit the tarmac!

poor guy - he clearly did'nt do his maths or research these boards!

There is one born every day.
    I perked him up on leaving him by saying - lovely car tho' - best of luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭King Kelly

I was in a shopping centre car park the other week waiting as my missus was in doing some shopping.
    Got talking to a bloke with a brand new 520d - we exchanged info on BM's etc and how he liked his new car and the mpg etc.
    When I asked why he bought now and not till after july - he said he got a good deal on his trade in.
    I said "fair do's, its musta been good enough to justify dealing now as his BM would be 8.5k cheaper in july" -

His mouth hit the tarmac!

poor guy - he clearly did'nt do his maths or research these boards!

There is one born every day.
    I perked him up on leaving him by saying - lovely car tho' - best of luck with it!

Chances are he's better off dealing when he did. If the new model has dropped by €8k you can be be sure his trade has taken an equal hit. Given the quantity of unsold/unsaleable stock on forecourts his cost to change (the only important figure) could well be higher post July.

ermmmmmmmm, not judging by his body language and the way there was complete and utter silence when i said what i said to him.

He was DONE up like a KIPPER!

RedorDead wrote: »
    Theres a lot of businesses that will go close to the wall over this though.

Ive heard of some dealers writing down old stock by between €550,000 and €700,000 due to the falling prices.

Whatever business you are in, thats a bitter pill to swallow. And whatever people may think, dealers are not making the huge profits everyone might think they are.

I understand that totally, it can't be pleasant for them. However if they are offering be real 'post july' value on my car, they can't expect me to pay over the odds.

They must still be convinced they will get the odd eejit walk in and just pay what they are asking.

As you say Chris, it is forcing people to wait. With the trade in I'm being offered it looks like I am going to rule out a new car and go for an 07 or 08 used one, however at the moment the deals aren't even in the ballpark so will have to wait it out I guess.

copacetic wrote: »
    As you say Chris, it is forcing people to wait. With the trade in I'm being offered it looks like I am going to rule out a new car and go for an 07 or 08 used one, however at the moment the deals aren't even in the ballpark so will have to wait it out I guess.

Go and look at the '07s and haggle hard. Dealers are very eager to get rid of them to the extent that if an 07 comes in to me for pricing, I basically don't want it as I know the customer's going to be offended by how much it's dropped.

You'll get good deals on 07 for definite. Go and ask!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

AudiChris wrote: »
    Go and look at the '07s and haggle hard. Dealers are very eager to get rid of them to the extent that if an 07 comes in to me for pricing, I basically don't want it as I know the customer's going to be offended by how much it's dropped.

You'll get good deals on 07 for definite. Go and ask!

You'll also get a car that'll cost maybe €500 a year to tax for it's lifetime and be harder to sell on.

Swings and roundabouts...

True... (sigh)

pburns wrote: »
    You'll also get a car that'll cost maybe €500 a year to tax for it's lifetime and be harder to sell on.

Swings and roundabouts...

well yes, but as long as you get that factored in to the price now I don't mind so much. besides a 1.8T A4 for example isn't any cheaper to tax on on 08 with new regime is it?

Was €530, is now €430. Not a massive saving really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭April Raine

HI
    AudiChris wrote: »
    The savings are coming, the prices will drop, it's just taking a little while for some business owners (dealers) to get their head around the substantial losses they face by dropping the prices.
    Will the saving be on all cars or just audi/mercs? What about Yaris or Ford Focus?I would appreciate your views as I am not vey experienced in this area but want to upgrade my car to say a 00 reg. Thank you;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

copacetic wrote: »
    well yes, but as long as you get that factored in to the price now I don't mind so much. besides a 1.8T A4 for example isn't any cheaper to tax on on 08 with new regime is it?

also bear in mind that the Government will realise that all 520d drivers and TT TDi drivers are paying €150 road tax a year and will up the bands across the board as cars get cleaner! In 4 years time the old cc based tax might be cheaper for more cars than you'd think!

HI
    Will the saving be on all cars or just audi/mercs? What about Yaris or Ford Focus?I would appreciate your views as I am not vey experienced in this area but want to upgrade my car to say a 00 reg. Thank you;)

The changes are only from all cars bought brand new from 1st July. Some cars will be going up, some will be coming down. 00 cars won't be effected even with the knock on effect of 2nd hand cars getting cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Biro wrote: »
    also bear in mind that the Government will realise that all 520d drivers and TT TDi drivers are paying €150 road tax a year and will up the bands across the board as cars get cleaner! In 4 years time the old cc based tax might be cheaper for more cars than you'd think!
    With the ecomony currently €3.6 billion in the red for 2008, those rises will be quicker than you think!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

The changes are only from all cars bought brand new from 1st July.

Any 08 car is affected by the annual Motor Tax change. VRT affects cars registered after July.

Biro's not wrong.......I'd say the greens will be fecked out of power by the next election and the tax regime will be tweeked plenty to screw us all even more, regardless of how clean burning your car is.:mad:

Zube wrote: »
    Any 08 car is affected by the annual Motor Tax change. VRT affects cars registered after July.

Yep, but I was too lazy to go too in depth! Thanks though!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

galwaytt wrote: »
    well some fruitcakes are still buying - new.

Last night I saw a new, 08 G reg, C200cdi. Manual. :rolleyes: Cloth seats :rolleyes::rolleyes:. No metallic paint :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:...and no alloy wheels - steel, w/plastic trims.

I couldn't even attempt to look up the price, but whatever he paid for it, it's going to be a lot less in 3 week's time..............

Ditto the local who bought the 1.4D Auris..............

Bear in mind that if the person with the Auris (and prob the Merc) bought their car in Jan/Feb, they would have got thousands more for their trade in then they'd get in July, before the slow-down in the market trade in prices were a lot higher, and it was the start of the year.

Zube wrote: »
    Cars registered early this year who's new tax rate is higher than the old rate won't be affected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

poor guy - he clearly did'nt do his maths or research these boards!!
    He mustn't have. BMW released their July prices almost 2 months ago(the 9th of April to be exact).

Only 96 people bought a new BMW last month - in May 07 BMW sold around 10 times that number:eek:!

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭roadruner

I left Dublin airport this morning to head home.
    I was driving my BMW 730, 4k left on the service mileage indicator, a little warning icon came on just as I hit the M50
    So I pulled into a service station logged onto BMW Ireland and found out it was my brake pad replacement reminder.
    So I rang my main dealer just to see how much they would charge to replace 4 pads........ €455.
    I then rang Advance autos just for the craic.
    To replace the 4 pads (Genuine parts)....... €165

I wonder how much of the €455 from BMW goes toward the €140 per hour they charge for labour.

I have no problem with getting my main dealer to do the the job but talk about rip off republic!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭m4j

I asked on another thread when is the best time to buy a small second hand car (second Car) will there be a reduction in prices across the board?

Reading this thread, I wonder can someone tell me if my Brother was mad to but a BIG 08 Jeep in March thinking that it would be cheaper now compared to when the new VRT hits in July, I thought in my complete ignorance that this was a good time to buy??? But from reading the posts its clear that it may not have been? Struggling to understand as I am completly Dim to this whole area.

Many thanks

Advertisement