Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laos vs Cambodia vs Vietnam?

• 05-06-2008 11:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Going to Thailand for 7 weeks this summer. hoping to pop into one or two of the other countries for about a week. We would prob be going there from the the islands of thailand (phuket area) and going for about a week-ish.

Just wondering what you fellow boardies experiences have been of each of these countries?

I have been flicking around the forum and opinion does some quite personal but I suppose what I would like to know is what kind of things are there to do in these countries that you could do in a week or two..For example is there anything else to do in Laos other than the tubing on the river?

Appreciate your opinions and experiences on this....

Cheers,

crisco10

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

I don't think it would be worth your while going to any of those places for just one week. Too much hassle for too little return imo.

I probably wouldn't even go to Laos for two weeks because it takes so long to get anywhere. Cambodia I haven't been to. Vietnam would maybe be worth doing for 2 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

If you've only time to go to one place then I wouldn't miss Angkor Wat in Cambodia. Its simply one of the highlights of all of SE Asia and it would be a shame to miss it. You can easily fly from Bangkok if you want to save time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

Vietnam is quality. make sure to visit Vung Tau and HCMC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭preddy

Im flying into Thailand on the last leg of my RTW trip we have 2 months to use in Aisa. Taking out maybe a month around Thailand.

Can you get to Malaysia Veitnam and Cambodia via Trains or will we have to fly?

I dont think you need that long but thats just me few days in each city is enough for sight seeing, but then again thats just me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Jugs82

Can you get to Malaysia Veitnam and Cambodia via Trains or will we have to fly?

Malaysia - Thailand - yes, you do it by train

Cambodia, no trains as far as i know! Best off flying from Bangkok IMO, road trip from Bangkok to Siem Reap/Phnom Penh is an 'experience' :)
    I have been flicking around the forum and opinion does some quite personal but I suppose what I would like to know is what kind of things are there to do in these countries that you could do in a week or two..For example is there anything else to do in Laos other than the tubing on the river?

Laos - amazing country but i agree with a previous poster, one or even two weeks is not enough time as it does take time getting from A to B. That said there is plenty more to do than tubing down a river.

The 4000 islands in the south are great - Don Det is amazing while on the way from the capital to the south - Pakse and Champasak are 2 great places to spend a few days - Champasak has lots of old temple ruins, great scenery & is really laid back and relaxing

Luang Prabang in the north is a beautiful city and worth a week or so on its own

Given your time restraints - id recommend heading into Cambodia and seeing Angkor Wat and the Capital and head back to wherever your flying out from, from there as the airasia flights are v.cheap from Phnom Penh to all the major international hubs - Singapore, Bangkok, Kuala Lumpar

Also, another consideration may be spending time in Northern Thailand around Chiang Mai, do some trekking, rafting, drinking :D - really cool place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭mac123

I don't think it would be worth your while going to any of those places for just one week. Too much hassle for too little return imo.

I probably wouldn't even go to Laos for two weeks because it takes so long to get anywhere. Cambodia I haven't been to. Vietnam would maybe be worth doing for 2 weeks.
    im not sure when you were in laos but iv just come from there, and i was there a year ago aswell. i didnt find it any slower than cambodia or vietnam transport wise anyway.
    personally if i had a week id go to vang vieng and luang prabang and i definitely think its worth it and very doable in a week. id probably skip vietiane though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

mac123 wrote: »
    im not sure when you were in laos but iv just come from there, and i was there a year ago aswell. i didnt find it any slower than cambodia or vietnam transport wise anyway.

Really? As I said, I haven't been to Cambodia so I can't comment on that but certainly Vietnam was much, much faster. They have trains for one thing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Vietnam is a great country but to see all the good bits you'd need at least 3 weeks.

I think Cambodia is a good option from Thailand. You can either fly or get the dreaded bus across. Siemp Reap and the temples at Angkor wat are a must. It just is amazing. Get a 3 days pass and take your time as it gets VERY hot! I didn't like Penom Phenh. But that is where you go to fire the guns and see the Killing Fields. But I don't think you would be missing much. There's not much else to do in Cambodia.

I haven't been to Laos myself but heard the tubing down the river is excellent but that there's nothing much else to do there. The people are very very poor and the capital city ain't much either.

Research these places on thorn tree forum, travelfish.org and other websites and see what interests you.

Advertisement