Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballsbridge Development

Options
  • 05-06-2008 11:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭

What are people's opinions on this development?

I for one think it is a brilliant idea. The area itself is completely lifeless; there are a few newsagents and several pubs and Herbert Park oh and a Pharmacy and Bookies. But besides that there is not anything. The development would breathe some serious life into the area, especially with the new Landsdowne road being built as well as the RDS already there.

mountbrook.ie; there is a video here about it (propaganda) but I do not see any reason to oppose this development. I know there was a petition going around and the argument championed by the people signing it were that they didn't want a 'big, ugly building in the area'. It is blatant that these people are snobs and do not want thousands of people 'swarming' around Balssbridge day and night. It may even help curb the prostitute problem in the area as well

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Is that the Bernard Dunne thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Punchbowl

BrightEyes wrote: »
    . It is blatant that these people are snobs and do not want thousands of people 'swarming' around Balssbridge day and night. It may even help curb the prostitute problem in the area as well

Or maybe they live there and have a right to say what goes up in their area.. You don't have to be a snob to like your neighbourhood

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Is that the Bernard Dunne thing?

lol, sean dunne!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭inlimboland

Watched that vid, looks fantastic, exactly what Dublin needs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Punchbowl wrote: »
    Or maybe they live there and have a right to say what goes up in their area.. You don't have to be a snob to like your neighbourhood

This development goes beyond a developer looking to make money, it is vital to breathe some life back into that area. Fair enough the 30 storey tower was SLIGHTLY OTT (though not for me) but the rest of the development was completely brilliant.
    The government should have plans for something like that in order to revamp the area. In order to get around the whole 'objection' malarky they could draw up the plans 'themselves' and argue that it is for ''the common good'' (as per the Constitution) and then invite tenders i.e. Mountbrook Developments, to construct the magnificent plans in order to turn Ballsbridge into a lively, exciting, modern, chic, European city town.

• Advertisement

Why would mountbrook be asked to tender for land they own?

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭jimmay

Watched that vid, looks fantastic, exactly what Dublin needs.

anyone got a slinky to the vid?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭inlimboland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Just watched the video, it's great propaganda video

Anyway, it looks great and I hope it goes ahead.
    What possible reasons could the residents give to object?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

jdivision wrote: »
    Why would mountbrook be asked to tender for land they own?
    Well, maybe the gov. could buy the land off Mountbrook for the money they paid, then get Mountbrook to go ahead with their development for the price the Irish gov. paid plus whatever it costs to develop

• Advertisement

State has to go through planning same as everybody else with a few exceptions, eg prisons

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Sean Dunne and his insatiable appetite for more money!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭donaghs

I think its a nice area as it is already.

Its got a good mix of residential houses and apartments, offices, and some small shops. Tesco on Baggot St is within walking distance. There's also a Tesco in Sandymount Village and in the Merrion Centre.

It doesn't need any redevelopment. Perhaps more deprived areas of Dublin would benefit from this?

As for livening up? There's plenty of pubs, hotels & restaurants there already, plently of gigs and sports events in the RDS.
    The main effect of this development would be more people and more traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭donaghs

BrightEyes wrote: »
    is blatant that these people are snobs and do not want thousands of people 'swarming' around Balssbridge day and night. It may even help curb the prostitute problem in the area as well

Agreed, with other response to this. People have a right to opinions on what happens in there area. Totally understandable given nature of this potential facelift.

donaghs wrote: »
    I think its a nice area as it is already.

Its got a good mix of residential houses and apartments, offices, and some small shops. Tesco on Baggot St is within walking distance. There's also a Tesco in Sandymount Village and in the Merrion Centre.

It doesn't need any redevelopment. Perhaps more deprived areas of Dublin would benefit from this?

As for livening up? There's plenty of pubs, hotels & restaurants there already, plently of gigs and sports events in the RDS.
    The main effect of this development would be more people and more traffic.

I disagree, Ballsbridge is extremely boring in my opinion. Pubs are poor, restaurants are poor in the main, not much there at all. Donnybrook, Ranelagh and Sandymount are far better in that regard.

Advertisement