Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Locking Nuts - Lost Key - Need help!

Options
  • 05-06-2008 11:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭

I have just had a flat on a volvo V70 but it seems some dolt has misplaced the locking nut key (me!) :o

Its one of those nuts that has a flower arrangment on the face with a spinning disc on the outside of the nut.

I have tried some locking nuts grabber things for a wrench but they are too small for it.

Does anyone have any suggestion on how to get these darn things off?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

contact the supplying Volvo dealer, they may be able to help. I had a Focus with (McGard) locknuts and no key, I called the dealer and they told me that Ford dealers only use a small number of different locknut codes on the Focus, they had a adaptor in stock and I got the nuts off.

Maybe Volvo operate similarly. for now use an aerosol tyre foam to get moving again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

As Colm says there are only a limited number of keys. With the lock nuts you may have gotten a code card which is basically just a business card with the unique code for your key on it (I have one). Removes the guess work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭bedrock1001

Apologies but i forgot to say i have contacted spirit motors in sandyford (volvo dealer) and they say if you dont have the key or keycard they may have to be drilled off!

What im looking for is basically an easier way out than drilling the b*ggers off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Apologies but i forgot to say i have contacted spirit motors in sandyford (volvo dealer) and they say if you dont have the key or keycard they may have to be drilled off!

What im looking for is basically an easier way out than drilling the b*ggers off.
    I don't think I'd believe that. There are only a limited number of keys, maybe 20, and all it'd take is trial and error for someone who has the complete set, ie a dealer, or more likely the distributor.

They are saying it will take the best part of a day to take them off which could mean a coupld of hundred in their pocket.

I have heard of a snap-on tool set that will take off any set of locking nuts but can't find a place online that sells them.

May have to bite the bullet and pay up on this one

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

I have heard of a snap-on tool set that will take off any set of locking nuts but can't find a place online that sells them.
    You're looking for Snap-On part# YA1005C.
    You'll have to find out who has the franchise in your area (ask the mechanics in a local garage), and be prepared to suffer severe wallet strain.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

I have just had a flat on a volvo V70 but it seems some dolt has misplaced the locking nut key (me!) :o

Its one of those nuts that has a flower arrangment on the face with a spinning disc on the outside of the nut.

I have tried some locking nuts grabber things for a wrench but they are too small for it.

sounds like ive the same key for my s40, can i lend ya it perhaps, where are ya in dublin?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

you can buy a cheap extractor like that snap on one, ive seen them in a few motor factors. either that or get an old socket thats slightly too small and hammer it on, then use the wrench to undo the nut.,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Whoever serviced your car last its probably in their toolbox. Happened to someone i know. Guy got new pads and the key went missing...found in mechanics toolbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Weld a nut onto it and use that to remove it. Works like a charm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

There the same as the new fords, go to a main ford dealer or volovo and they will have the master set.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

The Volvo lock nuts cannot be drilled and believe me we tried I had an engineer mate try with the best drill bits he could get apparently a set worth 400euro and they melted, he reckoned the next step was to take off the wheel and go at them form the inside (apparently this can be done).
    As for the Volvo dealers I rang around and was told they would have to be drilled out and it would be 4 -5 hours labour at the least. After three weeks I still had the lock nuts on and was desperate so I called the dealer I bought the car off Casey in Ballina , I was told that I have till end of day to get my ass down there from Sligo as they had the only unlocking kit in UK / Ireland at that time for another car, They had them off in minutes at no cost.

There is a card you get with the car for ordering a replacement its in the pack with the manual. Its on of those tear off here cards bit like the PUK code that comes with a new mobile sim. Mine was torn off so no joy there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

the dealer will send out a muppet with the fitting for a few quid or if you have a quick fit or such place nearby ask him can you borrow a fitting... give him 20 quids security on the part.... go change your wheel, give him it back and let him keep the 20 quid.

Simple as tbh.

Thanks all for the help

In the end I got Koping on the Naas Road to take them off and replace the locking nuts with normal ones

About 120 inc vat but well worth it considering my head was getting wrecked!

Cheers

Advertisement