Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Download/Buy Driving Routes

Options
  • 05-06-2008 11:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Hi and Help,

I've my driving test in Kilkenny in a couple of weeks and I'm looking to see if I can get access to some of the routes there so I can practive them on my own... lessons getting expensive.

I have found one or two excellent hand-drawn outlines of test routes, but is it possible that the routes are available to buy from SGS or RSA as image maps or sets of directions? Alternatively a 3rd party selling them would be great.

I doubt anyone in the RSA would sell me State secrets such as this but I'm throwing it out there just in case.

Cheers!!!

Brendan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

You cannot buy or obtain any maps of test routes from RSA or SGS. Perhaps ask your instructor for advise, they will often have a knowledge of some of the test routes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

Hi,
    You would be better off just getting to know the general area- e.g. all the blind corners, tricky junctions, anywhere where "following the course of the road" is strange- e.g. some roads have no road markings and fork into two- you need to know which one to go on to "follow the course" of it,
    I did my test in Naas a week ago and this was what I did,
    I would drive around for an hour or so every evening,

My instructor told me that there isn't always set "routes"- e.g. if there are roadworks/a crash/really bad traffic etc the tester can take you "off the beaten track"-literally!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I wouldnt advise going strictly by "test routes". My driving instructor told me to practise the whole town, because depending on traffic/accidents/roadworks etc the tester can deviate at any time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭April Raine

brendanc wrote: »
    Hi and Help,

I've my driving test in Kilkenny in a couple of weeks and I'm looking to see if I can get access to some of the routes there so I can practive them on my own... lessons getting expensive.

I have found one or two excellent hand-drawn outlines of test routes, but is it possible that the routes are available to buy from SGS or RSA as image maps or sets of directions? Alternatively a 3rd party selling them would be great.

I doubt anyone in the RSA would sell me State secrets such as this but I'm throwing it out there just in case.

Cheers!!!

Brendan
    There are supposed to be routes available at

http://www.irishmotoring.ie/shop/index_new.php?cPath=26
    I cannot vouch for them, i think, with respect, you would be better to try to improve your all round driving as, as far as i know,routes can change. Good luck, let us know how you do

Advertisement