Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Constant eircom 2mb disconnctions...

Options
  • 06-06-2008 12:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭

Have eircom 2mb. Living ruralish, but only about 5miles from exchange.

Constant disconnections on the router, it goes "down and disconnected" for periods once as long as 2 hours. Only way to get it to resync is to reset it alot..... And when it does pick the DSL back up again it often resyncs at 160kbps!

I've noticed that if it syncs at say, 1600kpbs its much more stable than the full 2048.

Would these issues be due to a problem on the line? I've rang eircom a number of times but they are trying to tell me its a local computer problem *sigh*.........they sent a guy out but didnt fix anything

Any other possible methods of rectification I could attempt myself/or with eircom?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭admol

Do you have filters on all lines? It sounds at 5 miles though that your line won't support 2mb. What are your line stats like?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Yea filters on both phones

Line State Up
    Modulation DMT
    Data Path Interleave

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 1312 256
    SN Margin (dB) 11.00 12.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 54.00 31.50
    CRC Errors 3 1

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Have eircom 2mb. Living ruralish, but only about 5miles from exchange.

Constant disconnections on the router, it goes "down and disconnected" for periods once as long as 2 hours. Only way to get it to resync is to reset it alot..... And when it does pick the DSL back up again it often resyncs at 160kbps!

I've noticed that if it syncs at say, 1600kpbs its much more stable than the full 2048.

Would these issues be due to a problem on the line? I've rang eircom a number of times but they are trying to tell me its a local computer problem *sigh*.........they sent a guy out but didnt fix anything

Any other possible methods of rectification I could attempt myself/or with eircom?

You haven't posted your line stats, but even without seeing them, you need to downgrade to a lower package (ie 1 meg) to get a stable connection. Your modem is trying to sync at speeds that your line simply cannot support.

5 miles is too far for a 2 meg connection. As you said yourself it's more stable when it syncs at a lower speed. I'd say your stats are poor.

Wait until after the upgrades are done. If they switch to ADSL2+ it may help you a bit, but I doubt it.

Also just did the ADSL line test yokey which says...

max connection speed ADSL 1602kbps
    max ADSL2+ speed 3870kbps
    adsl2+ max ip thruput 3425kbps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭admol

Its your line stats so. Possibly try connecting your modem directly to the main line in the house and see if the stats improve. If not you should wait till the upgrades and see if it improves but there's no guarantee. Otherwise downgrade to a 1mb package to get a stable connection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I have never heard if someone succeeded in doing this, but try to convince eircom or the linesman who tries to fix the broadband to set the line to connect at around 1500 kbps.

If they will not budge on this, the best thing to do would probably be to downgrade to 1024 kbps.

I have never heard if someone succeeded in doing this, but try to convince eircom or the linesman who tries to fix the broadband to set the line to connect at around 1500 kbps.

If they will not budge on this, the best thing to do would probably be to downgrade to 1024 kbps.

I have the same idea about trying to get them to set it at 1500kbps. Will wait until the upgrades happen and take a plan of action after that.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

May also be worth ruling out connections in your house, http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=54381143&postcount=6

Had a mess around with the router in different sockets yesterday morning, checked connections and the cables, theres a dodgy join in the main line in the attic which seems to be the issue. I'll run a new cable from where the copper pair comes into the main socket which should solve it. I fixed the join a bit better and the broadband has been running for the last 24 hours syncing full 2048 with no drops =3

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Glad to hear its running better.

Maybe give the same test another whack, see how much its improved.

• Advertisement

Max connection speed ADSL 2620kbps
    max ADSL2+ 4181kbps
    adsl2+ IP thurput 3700kbps

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

What's the attenuation like after you repaired the cable??

Around 5 miles is the absolute maximum you can get away with for 2mbit. (Highest I ever heard of was 5.3) You need a high standard of wiring and joints throughout the line from exchange to modem. Count yourself lucky!:D

Advertisement