Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best mexican restaurant in Dublin

Options
  • 06-06-2008 12:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

I promised to bring my boyfriend to a mexican restaurant for his birthday but I have heard mixed reviews about the few around. Anybody had a good one lately?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

From Mexico to Roma in Temple Bar

The 'rents say its nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Jimmy81

Acapulco on Georges St is quite nice and not too pricey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Ruby-J

Jimmy81 wrote: »
    Acapulco on Georges St is quite nice and not too pricey.

i second that! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

From Mexico to Roma in Temple Bar

The 'rents say its nice.

Mexico to Rome is not really a Mexican restaurant. Its a mesh of Italian/Mexican cooking. For one thing the Extra Virgin olive oil in the Mexican dishes is a little odd. tastes good but its not even close to Authentic.

Try the alamo in temple bar. It was nice when i had an early bird course there last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭markk06

Acapulco is definitely the best. When there get the starter for two!

• Advertisement

Im not sure i ever managed to get in to Acapulco as its always booked out any time i have tried so i guess its pretty good!

Oh and for future, if you want something less formal! Burritos and blues in Ranelagh is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,851 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Is Burritos and Blues still there?

Was last time i drove by but could not say if it was still open for business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭sunnyjim

Cactus Jacks along the millenium walkway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭IronMan

Is Burritos and Blues still there?

It is indeed. It is in Ranelagh if anyone is wondering, and does good value, moderately tasty Mexican food.

Acapulco is not a bad spot, good buzzy atmosphere, huge portions, like all Mexican food its a bit stodgy, but you can't argue with it for what your paying. Their deep fried ice cream is damn tasty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭mydarkstar

Saruman wrote: »
    Try the alamo in temple bar. It was nice when i had an early bird course there last year.

+1 for the Alamo.
    Not been there so far this year but have been there a lot in the last few years. Lovely food, prices are similar to Acapulco but I've never had much trouble getting a table.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭MissHoneyBun

Luigi Malones in Temple Bar does fabulous fajitas, nachos and enchiladas.
    Also renowned for their incredible chicken wings starter -amazing!
    Very popular place though so reservations may be advisable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

mydarkstar wrote: »
    +1 for the Alamo.

Is that the place on Parliament St. i was put off by the Old El Paso packets everywhere in the kitchen when the waiters opened and closed the doors. Can eat that at home

• Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Good one in Howth, can't remember the name.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

jdivision wrote: »
    Is that the place on Parliament St. i was put off by the Old El Paso packets everywhere in the kitchen when the waiters opened and closed the doors. Can eat that at home

No, that was Poco Loco, it's gone now.

Having lived around Mexicans for seven years I found that to be the most "authentic" Mexican restaurant in Dublin. Acapulco is now. The Alamo is good but it's not really Mexican. Luigi Malone's and From Mexico to Rome are nowhere near really Mexican.

However you're probably not looking for authentic....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 dublinmayflower

Thanks guys I'm going to go for Acapulco!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭keen

esel wrote: »
    Good one in Howth, can't remember the name.

El Paso.

Wouldn't go to cactus jacks staff are awful and the service was crap when I was there, El Paso gets my vote too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Todoquetengo

keen wrote: »
    El Paso.

Wouldn't go to cactus jacks staff are awful and the service was crap when I was there, El Paso gets my vote too.

+1 the food is not great and the service is crap, Acapulco is great, make sure you get a pitcher of margarhitas!!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭hdunne

sunnyjim wrote: »
    Cactus Jacks along the millenium walkway!

if you like mexican you'll hate it there, it is seriously not tasty, been a few times for my sins

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭hdunne

of all the mexican you gotta try acapulco, it is by far the best, and there is a place in the food hall thats yummy too

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

El Paso sucked, small portions i thought. Best Mexican food in Dublin is the stall in the Epicurean foodhall, unless somewhere better has cropped up since I've left, but that food was the best Mexican I've had anywhere in the world.

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    but that food was the best Mexican I've had anywhere in the world.

Erm... maybe anywhere this side of the Americas! It's good but the portions are far too small.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

No I never really found any good Mexican food in Canada or the states, but maybe I was just unlucky. As for small portions, those Burritos are huge.

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    No I never really found any good Mexican food in Canada or the states, but maybe I was just unlucky. As for small portions, those Burritos are huge.

Out of curiosity, where in the States did you have burritos? I can accept that "good" is a matter of taste, but I really can't fathom the idea that the ones in the Epicurean are huge... they're tiny compared to the ones I had when I lived in the States.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 elj

cactus jacks is ****e!!!! bad service awfull food, not even mexican, they dont have anything spicy (not even tabasco, thats is actually ****) is expensive and the portions are a ****in bit! not recommend it at all

777 ! if u wanna have a nice margarita i dunno about food yet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 elj

TACO BELL hahahaha is so greasy but is really nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,691 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

777 is different, it's nice, but I found it a bit overpriced.

777.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Your 4 years late there lads. Old thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭sinead81

Try 777 on Georges Street..... supposed to be a very authentic Mexican restaurant. I plan to eat there this weekend!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭whatsername42

Cafe Azteca near Christchurch - the most authentic mexican in the city!!

Advertisement