Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best mexican restaurant in Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Cafe Azteca near Christchurch - the most authentic mexican in the city!!

Agreed, great place.

Cortina's in Dundrum is also excellent for Tex-Mex.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 61 ✭✭marky1905

Whats the best irish bar in Mexico city?

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Volvic12

Have been in Cortina's in Dundrum a few times.
    Have never been disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Not a restaurant, but IMO Taco Taco (Epicurian food hall) has the best Mexican food in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

The thread is from 2008. I have a feeling the lady found somewhere 4 YEARS AGO.

• Advertisement

goz83 wrote: »

Didn't even notice! This came up on the thread list.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,691 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

But sure people are still interested in Mexican food in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

777 by a long shot. The decor is cool, the food is fantastic, the margaritas are like rocket fuel. But it's expensive!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Or else died of starvation along time ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Report a thread if you've got a problem with it. I'm leaving this open for the moment as its still kinda relevant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Wouldn't mind some decent Mexican restaurant suggestions myself, preferably on the northside. And please, don't mention those Burritos and Blues type place abominations. I mean real Mexican food, cooked and served by people who know what they are doing, not the third rate dog food that those establishments serve up to the clueless Irish who are too uninformed/clueless about how good the real things is, to know any better !

( Apologies if I sound bitter. It's because I am. )

• Registered Users Posts: 9,691 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I actually like those burrito places, they're probably not authentic and all that, but the burritos are tasty!

I'd hardly call the likes of boojum and burritos and blues dog food. They're fresh, well priced, decent grub. Even if they may not be 100% authentic

• Registered Users Posts: 10,323 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Boojums et al are bland, watery and overrated.

We need a Chipotle!

Birneybau wrote: »

We need a Chipotle!

Hells to the no, Boojum > Chipotle every time

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

ProudDUB wrote: »
    I mean real Mexican food, cooked and served by people who know what they are doing
    I'm told that Café Azteca does catering for the Mexican embassy. Most of the Mexican food we get is an attempt at the sort of Mexican food you get in the US (Pablo Picanto specifies California). Café Azteca is Mexican-Mexican.

BeerNut wrote: »
    I'm told that Café Azteca does catering for the Mexican embassy. Most of the Mexican food we get is an attempt at the sort of Mexican food you get in the US (Pablo Picanto specifies California). Café Azteca is Mexican-Mexican.

Traditional Mexican food you get in America is excellent and catered by Mexicans or Mexican Americans. I think you are talking about Tex-Mex cuisine.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Rasmus wrote: »
    Traditional Mexican food you get in America is excellent and catered by Mexicans or Mexican Americans.
    I didn't say it wasn't. And I'm not saying that Café Azteca is somehow better for being the way it is. I'm just pointing out, on foot of ProudDUB's italics, that it seems to be the most authentically Mexican food place in Dublin, for better or worse, YMMV.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

el paso reopened in howth last year. still doing the same menu as before. buffalo wings and fajitas are good there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

havent been to el paso since it reopened, sister has a few times, said the prices have risen slightly and the portion sizes have dropped.

have been to la sirena a few times in malahide, lovely food and not too pricey. always menupages deals on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

neris wrote: »
    el paso reopened in howth last year. still doing the same menu as before. buffalo wings and fajitas are good there.

The fact alone that buffalo wings (buffalo wings...WTF????) are on the menu makes me not want to go there ! :mad:

Apologies if I came across as being a Tex-Mex, Mex-Mex food snob in my post, but I used to live in that part of the world. It is very, very hard to accept watered down substitutes when you have experienced the joys of the real thing & for a fraction of the price that you have to pay here to boot ! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

MarkMc wrote: »
    Hells to the no, Boojum > Chipotle every time

Big time. Thought Chipotle was amazing when I first had it 4/5 years ago but after a year or so Boojum, Chipotle is bland. Applies to a few branches in New York and the one on Tottenham Court Road in London a few times too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Another vote for 777. Expensive though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

Birneybau wrote: »

+1

I don't get the Boojum hype. The main part of your post I agree with is: WATERY! Not pleasant at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Another vote for Azteca. Really nice stuff in there. I prefer the burittos from Pablo Picante, but there's a seperate thread on burittos.
    Azteca have a screen with a slide show with photos of their meals so you have an idea of what you'll get. And the guy that owns it, Hugo, is a legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

I thought 777 was great, and didn't find it pricey.
    We split one portion of prestarter chips and guacamoles, had two starters, two salad mains, two sides, split one dessert, had two coffees, 4 margaritas and it was around 100 quid (plus tip). We were there for two hours, and had a blast.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Acapulco is still the best.

Avoid 777 like the plague. Horrible feel to the place. Seating arrangements are terrible. Just not a nice vibe.

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Boojum is fast food as opposed to a restaurant.

For what it is it's nice IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

+1

I don't get the Boojum hype. The main part of your post I agree with is: WATERY! Not pleasant at all.

I find that sometimes the person serving you spoons the watery juice stuff in which makes it watery. If they strain it with the spoon first it's grand.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

I find that sometimes the person serving you spoons the watery juice stuff in which makes it watery. If they strain it with the spoon first it's grand.

Yeah, good point. Slotted spoons should be used too.

Advertisement