Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Independent/Times Exam Diaries (Should be ashamed!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

LPB wrote: »
    Ok, I'm back. and even though at first, I really didn't want to, I'm now going to try to justify my articles. The major bones of contention people seem to have with me/them is that:
    A: I didn't talk about the exams enough
    B. Nobody can relate to me due to my strange circumstances
    C. I was overly arrogant and confident
    D. I came across as a pretentious snobby rich bitch who wanted to rub my wealth in everyone's face.

So... In answer to A: I had to dictate most of the diaries over the phone during my hour long drive home everyday to meet the deadline. I did talk about the exams as much as I could but under pressure, on the phone, when you've just come out of a stressful exam, you tend to forget some things. Because of this, I had to pre-prepare a few ideas the night or morning beforehand. I was also briefed to not just commentate the exams, but talk about interesting aspects of my life (Eg. Having an iguana, snake shedding, going out to a movie, etc.)

B: While I appreciate that my circumstances are unusual, they are not unique. There are other people out there who have done the LC three or four times to get what they want. That doesn't make them stupid or mean they aren't deserving of the course they're aiming for - it just makes them really determined. When I was put forward for this by my English teacher, those in the Irish Times thought that a serial repeater would make for an interesting perspective.

C: I know it appeared that I was overly confident, but in reality, I'm literally fearing for my life and future here. I went to Sex and the City the night before English so that I wouldn't be pulling out my hair at home. Everyone seems to think it's less stressful third time around, but in fact, the pressure has been increasing every time. I did everything I could to avoid falling into counterproductive stressful mode. I shouldn't have said "200 points tucked under my pillow" etc, as I realise now how disheartening that may have been for others, but I honestly did feel that I had my two best subjects behind me and I really had to work hard for the rest of them. Bear in mind, those words were dictated when I had just come out of the exam hall, on a post-exam euphoric high.

D: I am not rich. My dad works hard to put me and my brother through school. I completed my first round of education in a public school. When I started to repeat, I went away to boarding school to try and do better for myself. And I do not regularly spend massive amounts of money on shoes. I included that anecdote on shoe purchasing to try to demonstrate how crazy the exam stress makes us. I appreciate that not everyone does this, but retail therapy is not unique to me. I work and save hard to be able to afford a few treasured items like nice shoes and my bed.

So now I am going to study my ass off for classics. Because its not easy.

If that is Laura Brady, I think it does show she's more grounded than her exam diaries presented her to be.

To me and vast majority of the readers the diaries just didn't work in any capacity besides to infuriate.
    I do hope if she is really doing a college life column later in the year that she'll take the negative reactions to these diaries into account and be more.. presentable.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭gaybitch

Laura's exam diaries were very poor, but I do feel for her having to come on here and read these blunt reactions - not only the sheer volume of them, but also the viciousness with which some people have attacked her. I have to say, while I didn't personally enjoy her diaries for a few different reasons, there is no need for some of the ill-will people harbour for her, and the persistance with which they put that ill-will across.That said, I do agree that Laura's first defence of her work was that it was a parody, and then she switched tack to claiming it was misrepresentation of sorts via dictation and post-exam euphoria. What's all that about?I would have more respect for you, Laura, if you didn't feel the need to defend your work at all. I accept you were just volunteering an explanation to the irate masses, but at the same time I have to admit I'd have more admiration for you if you seemed prouder of your achievement. Writing an exam diary in a national newspaper is an achievement, as is having the balls to face the Leaving Cert on three occasions. Because people have talked down your achievements, doesn't mean you yourself should come on apologising for your opinions, your thoughts, your experiences, and what you evidently felt was a valid log of your exam time. I am also giving poster LPB the benefit of the doubt in believing this is in fact Laura Brady coming on to defend herself.Good luck to you with the exams and results, Laura, and to everyone else that has posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭MattD

dan719 wrote: »
    What exactly is wase? I am going to assume you are not a moron and that you meant ease, which I guess is pretty generous of me.

As I stated in an earlier post, Laura Brady's experience of a paper is no more likely to be representitive of the entire country, and surely definately not more so then an entire class. That's why the shorter articles are also available critically analysing the papers, usually without resorting to insulting the examiners I may add.

I am not sure how exactly you can vouch for the utmost importance of an exam diarist by putting forward a hypothetical scenario such as the one above? Maths is finished and so 'if you were to come out of maths' then you would be repeating just like shock horror Laura Brady. As an aside H Maths was pretty easy this year anyway.

The Irish Times exists to sell papers, during the Leaving cert period, one of the main attractions is the few pages containing information about the exams the previous day. I can vouch for this as I have been buying the Indo every day to have a look at the reaction. Because of the reaction to Brady's diary people 'want to see what the fuss is all about'. Is that sufficently colloqial or should it be in text speak? As such her brief is subsumed into a larger one and overall she succeeds.

To your last point I say only this

'it is not worth an intelligent man's time to be part of the majority, by definition there are already more then enough doing that'

P.s I would also like to point out again the nice little herding quality on this thread.

When you pick on someone's spelling, that's when you lose a lot of your credibility in a debate ;)

Maybe an exam columnists is not more likely to represent the country than a class, but the average LC student still takes comfort in the fact that someone from a completely different school had difficulty. Perhaps they were blaming their teacher for not preparing the class correctly, and then sees that others feel the same about the exam.

Are you actually serious?! Of course that scenario is apt. And by the way, 'come out of Maths' means Coming outside of your exam centre, in which Mathematics Leaving Cert was held. Sorry i wasnt clear enough :confused: I dont even understand what your trying to say in that point. As an aside, what the **** does that have to do anything? Maybe i found Maths hard. **** You.

Perhaps sales in the Times have gone up since this blog, but its still not her job to sell papers as youv stated before.

I hope you can struggle through this almost illegible colloquial scrawl of mine :)

Now, after LPB did present her case and it does seem she is not the person she is portrayed as by the Indo. I respect her setting the story straight, and i can see that she herself isnt too ecstatic with how the paper have twisted her words. Some humility and modesty was shown.

But our qualm against the blog can still be upheld against the newspaper itself for putting together this character.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Peleus

Ok, I'm back. and even though at first, I really didn't want to, I'm now going to try to justify my articles. The major bones of contention people seem to have with me/them is that:
    A: I didn't talk about the exams enough
    B. Nobody can relate to me due to my strange circumstances
    C. I was overly arrogant and confident
    D. I came across as a pretentious snobby rich bitch who wanted to rub my wealth in everyone's face.

So... In answer to A: I had to dictate most of the diaries over the phone during my hour long drive home everyday to meet the deadline. I did talk about the exams as much as I could but under pressure, on the phone, when you've just come out of a stressful exam, you tend to forget some things. Because of this, I had to pre-prepare a few ideas the night or morning beforehand. I was also briefed to not just commentate the exams, but talk about interesting aspects of my life (Eg. Having an iguana, snake shedding, going out to a movie, etc.)

B: While I appreciate that my circumstances are unusual, they are not unique. There are other people out there who have done the LC three or four times to get what they want. That doesn't make them stupid or mean they aren't deserving of the course they're aiming for - it just makes them really determined. When I was put forward for this by my English teacher, those in the Irish Times thought that a serial repeater would make for an interesting perspective.

C: I know it appeared that I was overly confident, but in reality, I'm literally fearing for my life and future here. I went to Sex and the City the night before English so that I wouldn't be pulling out my hair at home. Everyone seems to think it's less stressful third time around, but in fact, the pressure has been increasing every time. I did everything I could to avoid falling into counterproductive stressful mode. I shouldn't have said "200 points tucked under my pillow" etc, as I realise now how disheartening that may have been for others, but I honestly did feel that I had my two best subjects behind me and I really had to work hard for the rest of them. Bear in mind, those words were dictated when I had just come out of the exam hall, on a post-exam euphoric high.

D: I am not rich. My dad works hard to put me and my brother through school. I completed my first round of education in a public school. When I started to repeat, I went away to boarding school to try and do better for myself. And I do not regularly spend massive amounts of money on shoes. I included that anecdote on shoe purchasing to try to demonstrate how crazy the exam stress makes us. I appreciate that not everyone does this, but retail therapy is not unique to me. I work and save hard to be able to afford a few treasured items like nice shoes and my bed.

So now I am going to study my ass off for classics. Because its not easy.

Hi Laura!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Alan Smith

Strange how they're going to be giving you a job when you don't even write the pieces don't you think?

Very strange altogether!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

LPB, although you said this was meant to be a satirical thing. When you are writing a diary section, or dictating whatever, the students doing the exam, expect you to be honest and coherent about how the day has gone as opposed to you trying to make it somewhat "funnier". It's a diary entry after all. I understand if the Irish Times suggested you should do it like that, but it really just shows how out of touch they actually are about the exams and what the average person reading it wants.

LPB wrote:

If you are who you say you are, this is definitely not what was put across in your article. Perhaps if we had seen that side of it we might have been more interested in what you were / are saying over the next while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Stevieo

raah! wrote: »
    hahahahahahahah, this is exactly the type of disgusting arrogance that people were so appauled by when they saw it in the times.

"herding quality" , and because you're in the minority it makes you intelligent? and what a lovely quote you have to proove all this.

"intelligent people are filled with doubt, while the stupid are cocksure", and here you are fully sure of your own intelligence. The ironing is delicious. But of course, a quote on it's own like that means nothing, unless you're an idiot of course.

I wish to second this entire post...

According to Dan's theory all rapists, Neo-Nazis, paedophiles etc., and NOT more than half of the country's electorate who rejected Lisbon, are, by definion, "intelligent", because their opinions exist in a minority. BALLS!

I pose this question to Dan, while accepting his right to do so: What makes you think that, with a whole year's college under your belt, typing several paragraphs of continuous waffle makes you soooo much more intelligent than the people who feel 1) Let down by Laura Brady's representation of them 2) Totally discomforted by Ms. Brady's general arrogant demeanor in her columns 3) In a position to have to look for consolation in Ms. Brady's columns, only to be shot down by this aforementioned demeanor...?????

I know plenty of ignorant twats with degrees, several years' college experience and countless other qualifications. Just because you've done an almighty total of one year does not make you clever! Your inability to come up with your own clever quip, opting instead for the form of 'intelligence exists in the minority', is a further testament to this. Big words and dumbass quotes mean nothing when there's no logic behind them...

• Registered Users Posts: 10 AndyOTea

I've been reading through this thread now for a fair while and I'd just like to say that as almost everyone here has mentioned, I also found Laura's articles pretty infuriating over the course of the exams. Fair play though for coming on and facing up to all the abuse though (if it was really her!).

I'd also like to say to Mr.Dan-stop talking ****e! The way you've been trying to belittle people is pathetic. As a college student yourself, with another 2-3 three years of their course left I'm assuming, who are you to claim that the Leaving Cert isn't a life-defining moment? For most of us, the next 3-4 years of our lives will be decided by these exams, just as yours have by your leaving. That alone is a pretty big chunk of our future, not to mention the effect these years will have on the rest of our lives.

Also, "definately"? I am going to assume you are not a moron and that you meant "definitely", which I guess is pretty generous of me.

Isn't quoting fun? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭conormurphy

Yall should stop frontin and put the dro in the air, knaw mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭jennyq

Assuming this is the real person & all that, it's a pity that she didn't express some of the pressure & the anxiety she felt in the columns as well as the confidence, as it would probably have made her a lot more sympathetic than she came across. I don't have a problem with someone going to the Institute or wherever, it was mainly the smugness that came across in the articles (whether intentional or not) that irritated me as I was stressing out over the same exams. Although I guess personally as someone who is hoping to do well & feeling a fair bit of expectation I wouldn't really be mad about pouring my heart out about my private insecurities in a national newspaper either.

I have to admit that the label-dropping did annoy me too, can't help it! It came across like bragging at every opportunity about a wardrobe full of designer clothes (whether that's the reality or not readers aren't going to know) which is obviously going to annoy people. All snideness aside though seriously, I would love to know where I could get a part-time job/whatever that would give me the money to afford even the odd purchase like that! If you're still here Laura please enlighten us :p

The semi-outrage has been a handy diversion from study & exam stressing, seems kinda crazy now to be honest seeing how angry the whole thing has made people. I guess we should probably all get over this now though seeing as the column is over & so the LC will be soon :) (and now to stop procrastinating & finish this damn physics....)

• Advertisement

I didnt mean to go off topic either, knaw mean?

The Walsho wrote: »
    Sorry to go off topic but that post is fúcking hilarious, straight outta Compton!

Straight outta D-Town knaw mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Greatscot

She said she worked hard for her purchases, what's wrong with that?! I've a GORGEOUS pair of LouBoutin's myself which i love to death AND worked my ass off as a waitress to afford them! (Got them signed by God himself in BT's not long ago too!) I say go girl!

Also still think its cute that some little boys can't understand what Dan719 is saying.....bless!

Nite all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Ciks

Great Scott indeed! The problem people have with the shoes is the pointlessness in mentioning them in an EXAM DIARY.

(Sorry for the caps, but they're so necessary...)

Greatscot wrote: »
    She said she worked hard for her purchases, what's wrong with that?! I've a GORGEOUS pair of LouBoutin's myself which i love to death AND worked my ass off as a waitress to afford them! (Got them signed by God himself in BT's not long ago too!) I say go girl!

Also still think its cute that some little boys can't understand what Dan719 is saying.....bless!

Nite all!

I doubt she works herself, she gets ghostbusters to do that for her, I bought a pair of Calvin Klein jocks off ebay the other day and ill love them, but i didnt work chaw mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭BarryDoodles

Hmmm Is it Laura Brady? Indulge me and state our Classics Teachers name?
    b.t.w i tried defending you :(

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Bonzo-Reborn

I bought a pair of Calvin Klein jocks off ebay the other day and ill love themquote]

dude you bought jocks off ebay? wth? thats kinda nasty

They gon be fresh in the pack I hope chaw mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Bonzo-Reborn

yes i chaw what you mean...

cause i hear that sometimes they just repack used jocks ya chaw mean?

where the hell did you get that phrase from

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

From watching Jim Shedrian's all time classic (starring Curtis Jackson) Get Rich or Die Tryin'.

I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Knuffel

Hmmm Is it Laura Brady? Indulge me and state our Classics Teachers name?
    b.t.w i tried defending you :(

But why Barry? You know as well as i do that you were indulging in a bitching session about her last week! :p

Its shortened Dyenawhaimean, chaw mean?

If they did repack the jocks and they have big dirty skids all over them, ill send them back and theyll send my money back, chaw mean. I'm cool like that chaw mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 LeCapitaine

Its shortened Dyenawhaimean, chaw mean?

If they did repack the jocks and they have big dirty skids all over them, ill send them back and theyll send my money back, chaw mean. I'm cool like that chaw mean?

I know what chaw me.skids1.jpgLike if they were like that you would send them back. yeah?

Thats it, Id probably just put them on someones head insted of sendin them back chaw mean?

Knuffel wrote: »
    But why Barry? You know as well as i do that you were indulging in a bitching session about her last week! :p

Just wondering if it was her. That bitch session was ours, where as these people are bitching for the wrong reasons...and if you remember i didn't exactly complain i just stated facts :p
    Now to guessing who this is. Hmmm Phoebe, Amy, Dimtri and karl were there. Its Amy's style to berate me for talking about a girl however given you style (or lack of) I say its the girl whos daddy defends Irish poets that aledgely fiddle with middle eastern children

People dont like that she 1.Her parents have money 2.Goes to the institute 3.Goes to movies 4.Gets more attention than they do and 5.Gets to write but yet they seem to follow every article she writes word by word then post complaining about it while starting threads like "oh my god i'm repeating, i didn't get 300 points"
    Ladies and Gentlemen, am I right that you dislike the girl because shes better than you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 White-Teeth

People dont like that she 1.Her parents have money 2.Goes to the institute 3.Goes to movies 4.Gets more attention than they do and 5.Gets to write but yet they seem to follow every article she writes word by word then post complaining about it while starting threads like "oh my god i'm repeating, i didn't get 300 points"
    Ladies and Gentlemen, am I right that you dislike the girl because shes better than you?

Someone who has to do the leaving cert THREE times is better than no one.

With regards to money, she was born luckier than everyone else, not better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

No one likes her, because she has to repeat the LC 3 ****ing times before she's able to get her course, and acts like a pompous bitch commenting on it. That's assuming she doesn't manage to cock-up this time as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

because shes better than you?

I'll have to go check my bank account, so I can work out exactly just how better than me she is :rolleyes:

Absolute rubbish. Nobody dislikes her because she has 'money', or mommy sends her to school in town, we dislike her because her articles were an absolute joke that didn't reflect the realities of the leaving cert in any way,shape or form.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

To all the people moaning about her spending money, not the people moaning about her WIRITNG about spending money, just bitching about the fact that she SPENT lots of money...

why do you care?

Seriously, what has it to do with you?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement