Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestion for very long threads

Options
  • 06-06-2008 2:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭

I always thought it would be useful to change the way large threads are viewed.

Take for example the Soccer Forum.

A lot of the threads in there are very, very long and in fact run for an entire season. People contribute regularly and I'd imagine that most of them (like myself) read the last two or three pages they missed. To this end, the idea is to display these threads as, for example:

Liverpool Rumours and General Discussion Thread: (First.......23,24,25,26,27) {EDIT: where 27 is the last page}

as opposed to

Liverpool Rumours and General Discussion Thread: (1,2,3,4,5.....last)

....since nobody is ever reading the first five pages of such a thread. They might read the first page, but that is allowed for with the option of "first".

Yay/nay?

EDIT: I know you can just click last and then select a few pages back but that is definitely less efficient.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I'd like something like (1.2.3......32.33.last) type of thing.

But it think its a good idea as the current set up is a bit awkward, you always have to manually scroll back and foward through pages.

Yay all the way.

Maybe it would just be easier to subscribe to those threads that interest you and just click on the first unread icon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

I want the option to have 1,000 posts per page.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

But you have the option of "Go to page _" dont you?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

firstnew.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

Whatever about subscribing, using the goto page thing, or that particularly helpful thing that Terry posted, it simply makes more sense to me to change it the way I suggested since the current layout is essentially inferior.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Feral Mutant

In the user conntrol panel edit options, you can set the thread mode to display newest posts first. That's the way I have it. I still see big threads as (1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page) but 1 links to the most recent 40 posts and last links to the oldest 40 with the OP.
    The only thing is posts are displayed newest first too like this:
    Most recent post
    slightly less recent post
    second post
    OP

I like it that way but other people might find it more trouble than it's worth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

I want the option to have 1,000 posts per page.
    support ++; for this

Advertisement