Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband while in Spain

Options
  • 06-06-2008 3:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭

im going to Spain for two weeks and i want to bring my laptop, can i get a portable broadband here i can use for the duration over there any help or clues be grateful :cool:

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

You could use mobile broadband from o2, vodafone and three but they would charge an absolute fortune while abroad. Internet cafe would work out a hell of a lot cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

why not just go to spain for one week without the laptop, and enjoy the weather and look at all the women, then spend the second week at home on the broadband in your bedroom with the curtins pulled to keep the sun off the screen

lol

+1 for a net cafe,they are dirt cheap and much less haslte too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

mukki wrote: »
    why not just go to spain for one week without the laptop, and enjoy the weather and look at all the women, then spend the second week at home on the broadband in your bedroom with the curtins pulled to keep the sun off the screen

Very true! I go to Spain on holidays to get a break from the laptop and enjoy the weather and look at the women :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Bros123

Where in Spain?
    A lot of resorts in Spain now have wireless internet.
    I have used this crowd in Lanzarote and I was able to pick up the signal about a kilometre away in my hotel!!€20 for a weeks access.

http://www.canarynet-hotspots.com/Lanzarote.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭faolteam

Torrevieja, spain Costa BLanca not a resort its a Apartment

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I wudnt mind knowing either, im going to spain in a few weeks to Torrevieja/Cabo Roig also for 2 weeks, my m8's will be there for 6 weeks and wondering is there a way we can pick up the internet over there on our laptops for a few weeks without having to pay for a years contract etc with a wireless provider. e.g is there a way we can only pay a small charge to access the internet for the time we'll be there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Bros123

From experience,you will find that if you are staying in a resort a lot of bars etc have free wireless access and if you are staying near enough to the centre of things you might be able to pick up a signal from where you are staying.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

You have a few options,

You can buy a usb modem from vodafone (in Spain): http://tienda.vodafone.es/do/catalogo/comprar/modemprepago?p=be523f390e186014010e40fae8290002&type=modemprepago for €69 and a pre-paid data sim cardfor €20/40/60 (for 25MB/200MB/1GB respectively): http://www.vodafone.es/particulares/tarifas/tarjetas/datos/acceso/bonos/index.jsp

Or if your phone isn't sim-locked, and you have the right cables in your (or bluetooth in both phone and laptop) I think you might just need to get the sim above card and use your own phone as the modem.

Other operators might have something similar (Movistar or Orange).

Alternatively you could kick back and take in the sunshine :)

Hope this helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

Gonzo wrote: »
    I wudnt mind knowing either, im going to spain in a few weeks to Torrevieja/Cabo Roig also for 2 weeks, my m8's will be there for 6 weeks and wondering is there a way we can pick up the internet over there on our laptops for a few weeks without having to pay for a years contract etc with a wireless provider. e.g is there a way we can only pay a small charge to access the internet for the time we'll be there.

I goes to La Zenia/Cabo Roig area quite often myself and have often wished to have wireless on the laptop for "free" in the house. All I could pick up were secure wireless networks off neighbouring houses. I just used the internet cafe in Paddy's Point and The Dog and Bone internet cafe across the road.
    Yakuza wrote: »
    pre-paid data sim cardfor €20/40/60 (for 25MB/200MB/1GB respectively).

Thanks for the info Yakuza ;)

Does this mean 25mb/200mb/1gb data down? If so it's very expensive :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

I would imagine it's the download allowance, and, yes, it's fairly expensive considering I pay €15 (here in Ireland) for a 1GB download allowance per month here with 02 (on a contract), however I guess as it's a pay-as-you-go deal in Spain, you're going to pay more for it. The contract rates there seem a little more reasonalble (€39/month for *unlimited* downloading)(http://www.vodafone.es/particulares/tarifas/contratos/planes-datos/internet/index.jsp)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

AntiRip wrote: »
    I goes to La Zenia/Cabo Roig area quite often myself and have often wished to have wireless on the laptop for "free" in the house. All I could pick up were secure wireless networks off neighbouring houses. I just used the internet cafe in Paddy's Point and The Dog and Bone internet cafe across the road.

Thanks for the info Yakuza ;)

Does this mean 25mb/200mb/1gb data down? If so it's very expensive :(
    That would be for usage up and down, so if on the 1GB package you downloaded 800meg and uploaded 200 meg, you would be at the limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

Got this from another site

"the Vodafone shop in the La Mosca centre (Supercor) at Playa Flamenca and was given all the info, you can buy the stick at the moment for €79 and get 20 credit and top ups etc need to be done every 3 months or you lose what's left, you can also get on contract etc. They were very helpful and if you just need for email this might be the way to go, no good for downloading or Skype etc as uses too much. we still researching and may go with having permanant into house as we were concerned about coverage as this is still relatively new technology."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Don't know if they have the same deal in Vodafone ES, but Vodafone NL who i use costs 9.50 for 30 days on prepaid. You use the live access point rather than office or ISP, the only difference is you cant use VPN but thats about it.

I was able to stream Today FM while driving from The Hague to Dusseldorf :D

Web browsing, streaming video, IRC etc all work perfectly fine .. i was using it for 4 months while waiting for my ADSL to get installed. I was getting decent speeds with my mobile, and even better with a UMTS card.

http://www.vodafone.nl/prive/abonnementen/vodafone_blox/blox_voor_multimedia/

Pure Internet via vodafone is around 35 a month here.

Advertisement