Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sweet and sour sauce

Options
  • 06-06-2008 4:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭

right, i'm a huuuuuuuge fan of chinese, and i know the sauces you buy in jars are loaded with crap.

i've searched for a few online, but again they seem to be mostly sugar.

anyone got any good receipes? looking for a nice tasty but reasonably healthy one too.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Doesn't get more simple as this though it does have sugar in it.

I *think* that if you want it to taste authentic then you'll need some sugar as honey just isn't the same. Maybe pineapple juice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

You definitely need sugar for the sweet part of sweet and sour, honey just changes the flavour. Pineapple juice makes it nice and fruity, but you still need some sugar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

i know you need sugar, but some of the receipes i saw had horrific amounts of sugar in them! :eek:

that one still has quite a bit, but not as much as some of the others. its worth giving it a try anyway i guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 bubba185

this recipe is perfect, our local chinese is de best ive ever tasted n a friend was good enough to keep an eye out for it :] now - half cup of water, half cup of caster sugar, 2 tbsp of cornflour diluted in a bit of water. half cup of white rice vinegar or white wine vinegar works de same, mi wadi orange juice de diluted kind but dont dilute it a cup. n a couple of drops of red food colouring. place the vinegar in de sauce pan or wok n it will start to simmer slowly then add the water and sugar bring to de boil, turn down and add the mi wadi orange juice and simmer for 20mins add de red food colouring and stir unitl its reduced a little and then add the cornflour diluted until its thick. mi wadi orange juice is wat most places use but no1 ever seemed to know until now. give it ago n ul always use this recipe without a doubt its de best. enjoy :]. for ur chicken coat it in cornflour n deep fry then add it to de sauce along with the carrots and onion. if u want the full recipe just email :]

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Hi bubba185, welcome to boards. As a general rule we don't revive threads that are more than 6 months old so I have to close this.
    Also, text speak is frowned upon.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement