Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A proper prison.

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

Steve_o wrote: »
    Fair play to Sheriff Joe... If only they did that here (rain instead of mad heat), that'd learn them scumbags!

this sys tem doens't sound too bad but

when will people realise the removing somebody's liberty is the point of prison and punishment enough.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

I'd be in favour of gassing the repeat offenders/unrepentent element.

quick and easy solution, like the 3 strikes rule, get sent to prison 3 times and the third Will be your LAST,

life will mean life and it will also mean about 3 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I put this to the nay sayers: Were a violent person to attack you, how would you like to see them serve their time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

Terry wrote: »
    I put this to the nay sayers: Were a violent person to attack you, how would you like to see them serve their time?
    Hogotied with a pineapple up their arse while singing the national anthem from dawn to dusk of course. Ah no just kidding Terry. :p

I think the blanket term "crime" is like the blanket term "cancer". You can't apply the same cure to every single person and expect it to work. For some, standard prison might prevent recidivism. For others, a full course of brainwashing and reprogramming in the finest traditions of cults in the US would do the trick. For others, a stiff fine, and others counselling and education to give them a fresh start. Maybe something like the foreign legion would straighten others out.

Violent attacks on a person aren't a simple crime, you need to look at the motivation. Something like a bollix happy slapping people might be solved with a public caning and a few days in the stocks. Someone strung out on heroin should be weaned off the stuff and the work off the damage they have caused. A drunken assault based on imagined insults, a stint in the slammer and a fine to remind them not to do it again, or possibly higher car insurance premiums.

Edit: I think the crucial weakness in the prison system is it was designed by normal people to scare normal people into behaving well. However when it runs into abnormal people, for whatever reason, be it drink or drugs or a crappy childhood, it serves neither to deter nor to rehabilitate, because it wasn't designed for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

For me that's not a hypothetical question...myself and a mate and his g/f were violently attacked at random by a gang some years back....some of the scumabgs were caught, some weren't. Of those caught and charged, only half of them did actual jail time...about 9 months of an 18 month sentence, the rest either got off with suspended (after a jury found them guilty) or were never charged.
    We still live with the physical and emotional scars of a violent assault...the guys who did jail were walking the streets a year later, and some went on to do the same to other people, as they'd done to us.
    It doesn't matter how they did their time....it was an Irish prison so it was the same as any other convict....my biggest qualm is that they weren't sentenced to or lept long enough, and that in the proces it cost the country a hundred grand or thereabouts to keep them off the street.

How would I like to have seen them serve their time? Longer sentences, less privilieges, enforced hard labour; make these guys pay for their keep for christ sake....but no matter how hurt I or my friends were, I wouldn't really have wanted to see them tortured a lá this sadist warden. It's not up to the State to carry out retribution on my behalf...its up to the state to protect me and other citizens from violent criminals of this type.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Chain gangs and hard physical labour ftw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

It's very easy to throw that one out. People's emotions shouldn't cloud policy-making decisions. A prison can be harsh without what that thug resorts to. He's only fulfilling a need he has to bully. If he wasn't a sheriff, he'd find some other outlet to do so.

The Fritzl case really, really enraged and upset me - probably more so than anything else. I was thinking "that bastard should be tortured" and then I came back to reality. Prison guards, agents of the state, torturing someone systematically - no matter what they did - is a most unsettling thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

i like them to be locked up for decent stretch, imaging not able to go anyone where do what ever you want for a year!!!! i atually can't imagine and obviously you can't either.

anyone here been in jail for a fari while can they tell us what it like to locked up for months or years on end.

Advertisement