Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

S40 as a family car.

Options
  • 06-06-2008 10:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭

Having definately decided about 4 weeks ago that, with 2 kids and a 3rd on the way, we had to get a people carrier, last night my wife done a complete u-turn and decided she hates people carriers and she doesn't want one.

Well to be fair to her, it's not a complete U-turn. She always hated them, but had given in to the practicallity of having one.

Anyhoo she has changed her mind and I'm not going to argue with her as

a) I also hate people carriers

and

b) You do NOT argue with a pregnant woman.

So.... she now wants an S40. I would be looking at getting something around 2 years old so it would be the current model. I have a few questions about it, mainly with regard to it' s practicallity as a family car.

1) The Boot.
    I have read that eventhough the boot is a decent size, the opening is a bit tight. We currently have an Octavia. Will she find the S40 a big negative change in that regard, especially for buggies. (I tried to sway her towards the Estae but she's having none of it)

2) The Back Seat.
    Simple question, will it fit 2 Baby seats and a booster seat accross the back.

3) The engine.
    We would be going Diesel. Is the 2 litre worth the extra cost, extra road tax, and worse consumption figures over the 1.6 ?
    According to Parkers :
    0-60 9.2 Vs 11.6
    BHP 134 Vs 107
    MPG 48 Vs 57

4) Alternative
    Also, as an alternative, how would the S40 fare against a Saab 9-3 of the same year ?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

The S40 really doesn't look like a big car - if it's even close to the size of my old Alfa 156 and BMW 320 (both of which I would think are in the same range of cars), then I don't think you'd have much room in the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I had a new S40 1.6 rental for the past week, just gave it back yesterday. On the whole, I was quite impressed. That said, I just don't think the car would be big enough for your needs. Maybe head down to the dealership with the whole family and a baby seat, try it out for size? The boot opening is quite tight, capacity is ok but no more. As regards power, the 1.6 petrol is a bit marginal but probably just about ok for normal driving. The 1.6D would be a little better, but not much. Bear in mind that the SAAB isn't so good in the NCAP. If I were in your position, i'd maybe be looking at a Citroen C4 Picasso?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

I have an S40, current model. I would NOT recommend it for a family with more than two kids... I find that it's comfortable for four adults but with baby seats and what not, you will find the back seats cramped. I doubt that you would get three child seats into it, although mine as two booster seats built in (but no kids to sit in them!).

The boot is a problem. It's big enough alright, but it's tricky to get anything bulky in, thanks to the small boot door, so getting a pram into it might cause concern.

If your budget could stretch and you really want a Volvo, I'd recommend going for an S60, which is that bit wider and with a better boot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

I think you're bonkers looking at saloons. While the nippers are small, you want 3 individual rear seats and a huge boot. If not a people carrier, how about a Peugeot 307 SW?

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Peugeot/307/1.6-HDi/881541/

(We got a Multipla, and it did sterling work for 7 years, recently changed to an S-Max. Not all people carriers are dreadful).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BnA

Thanks Mike

I was afraid of that.

I was thinking of the S60 too, but my fear is that as it's been out now since about 2001and I'd be afraid the value of it would drop like a stone. I reckon ther eis a chance we will have to change again in a yeras time when we realise we do really need a people carrier.

My wife's back up plan is a Passat. Mine would be an Accord but she doesn't like Hondas. When she hears Honda, she thinks of souped up civics. I know I know.... but what can I do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Ice_Box

The boot on the S40 is far too small for your needs. Forget about it. Your buggy/pram will probably not fit. Consider a Peugeot 308sw.

Zube wrote: »
    I think you're bonkers looking at saloons. While the nippers are small, you want 3 individual rear seats and a huge boot. If not a people carrier, how about a Peugeot 307 SW?

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Peugeot/307/1.6-HDi/881541/

(We got a Multipla, and it did sterling work for 7 years, recently changed to an S-Max. Not all people carriers are dreadful).
    I know Zube.

The S-Max was top of the people carrier list for us.

The 307 SW is a non-runner. She would get people carrier before an estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭mountain

The S40 will be too small for you,
    the V50 that i drove for nearly 3 years while its the estate version, didnt have a great boot either.

Personally I would go for an estate of some sort, either Passat or Octavia, 3 kids bring a lot of junk with them, and the extra room will be very useful.
    If you do get a volvo, try and find one with the built in kids seats, they are really useful.

good luck with the birth as well

BnA wrote: »
    The 307 SW is a non-runner. She would get people carrier before an estate.

But it's not an estate, its a SportsWagon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭zoemax

I was thinking of the S60 too, but my fear is that as it's been out now since about 2001and I'd be afraid the value of it would drop like a stone. I reckon ther eis a chance we will have to change again in a yeras time when we realise we do really need a people carrier.

My wife's back up plan is a Passat. Mine would be an Accord but she doesn't like Hondas. When she hears Honda, she thinks of souped up civics. I know I know.... but what can I do.

I have an S60, two kids (2 and 4 years old) and a third on the way and our 3 child seats will not fit in the back unless you have excellent gymnastic abilities:D. My wife had a new model passat and the same applied!! We ended up trading in the 10 month old passat (which dropped in value by €10k :()against a Toyota Corolla Verso which has loads of room but a small boot if the seven seats are up. We both hated people carriers with a passion but they are just so practical, and the verso looks less like a van than most of the others and is reasonably priced. The other option was a seven seater jeep but these are expensive compared to people carriers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

I have a Passat and can verify that two baby seats and a booster will fit in the back seat (although it's only the very basic foam booster). It's tight, but very much worth it if it means not getting an MPV :D.

I actually went from an S40, which definitely won't fit the three seats, to a Renault Scenicm which lasted 4 months into the passat. Big boot too

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Maybe a SAAB 9-3? Somewhere between estate and saloon.

Boot can fit a go-kart :D
    SaabGoKart.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Now that's a SportsWagon.:)

biko wrote: »
    Maybe a SAAB 9-3? Somewhere between estate and saloon.

Boot can fit a go-kart :D
    SaabGoKart.jpg
    That's the old shape though isn't it. I had a coupe one for a while and it did indeed have a monsterous boot.

The current model comes in saloon only though I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

Really repeating what others have said - I don't think you'll get three child seats to an S40 (it is a focus based machine after all).

Perhaps the Mazda 6 - they do a hatchback as well as estate and saloon.

Paddy

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I also have the current S40 and would be dubious about it fitting three kids, it's a great car but is classed as a small executive car which it fits neatly into.

You will fit a buggy and gear in the back, but it's a struggle.

Have to say, the sister has three small kids and gets on very well with a Seat Cordoba. 1.4 diesel, never given a days problem in four years and it's a great workhorse.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Did you consider the new Ford Mondeo hatchback? The boot is pretty big and has easy access:

CB4_1086092_16_415410.jpg

Thanks for the replies.

Looks like it's back to the drawing board.

It's 10 times harder to pick a car for someone else than it is for yourself. I have to go against almost everything I believe.

My wife's priorities (when it comes to cars) are :

Looks
    Year
    Badge

Her ideal car would be a span new 316.

Mine would probably be a Manta

It's hard to know where the middle ground is.

Personally, I think this would be a good compromise..

http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk/www/cars/BMW+5+SERIES/Ne-2-4-5-6-7-8-27-44-49-53-61-64-67-103-133-146-236,N-42-51-62-231-4294967178-4294967202/advert.action?R=200821310358305&distance=229&postcode=AB10+1AQ&channel=CARS&make=BMW&model=5+SERIES&min_pr=&max_pr=&max_mileage=80000

But she'd never go for something that old.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Did you consider the new Ford Mondeo hatchback? The boot is pretty big and has easy access:

CB4_1086092_16_415410.jpg
    It's a bit more money than I'd like to spend. I'd like to draw the line at 20k. 25k at a push.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 maxy jazz

I have a V50 - similar to the S40, you will not fit 3 child seats in back. the estate has ok room for buggies. But you will definately need to upgrade for 3 child seats.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭geoff29

hi,

i'm sorry to say this - but I really think you might need to bite the bullet and go with the practical answer of a mpv of some kind. I'm quite familiar with a lot of the vehicles - like others said - the S40 is really quite small and the current 9-3 isn't much bigger. Passat is bigger alright. But aside from that, and whether the seats and kids would fit in - its the everyday procedure of getting them and kids in there - and how many times a day would that happen? At least with the mpvs they are that bit higher so that you arent having to lean down into the car but merely reach inside at chest level in some cases. That kind of thing takes its toll after a while.

The current C4 Picasso is quite a big thing in the metal - that and the Scenic are designed for your exact situation. What about a B-Class Merc? Hideous I know - and I've never even sat in one - but I think they might have good space in the rear - and a merc badge.. Gold 'Plus' is a similar size.

new model mazda 5 looks fairly smart for that kind of thing.

As someone else mentioned, I would make a list of cars that interest you and spend a saturday morning going from dealership to dealership and literally jump in and out of the cars and test every aspect. You can also have 24 hour test drives with some dealers - maybe you can try that?

Anyway, best of luck with the decision.. can't say I envy you!

btw, if you didnt have the kids - a brand new 1.8 Flexifuel Volvo at €25k does represent great value..!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Ice_Box

You know you want to
    peugeot-308-sw-prologue.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 65,429 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I'm in the same boat as the OP. Any non-MPV suggestions are welcome :D

The S40 is based on the Ford Focus and as such it's a C-segment car (although it is marketed as a D-segment car). Too small for 3 car seats in the back.

Most D-segment cars with 3 3-point belts in the back should fit 2 high back booster seats plus a rear-facing baby seat. But it will be very tight and not very practical. I've tried it in our Rover 75. The alternative is to have one parent in the back and a booster seat in the front passenger seat (or the rear facing baby seat in the front provided that the airbag can be switched off). This is far from ideal.

Nope. Nice car, but not suitable. It has only a lap belt in the middle in the back!

you mentioned you have a skoda - have you seen the new model Superb? not out for a few months but I would say it is in spirit at least, a modern day saab.

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/upload/7610/images/1SkodaSuperbNew.jpg

it has a twin boot that can be opened as both a normal saloon or hatchback. Also, its based on a lengthened passat platform, as is the current one, so the room in the back is huge.

I have driven the current superb a few times, and although is doesnt go particularly well, it can look okay in some specs - frankly the room in the back can't be beaten by anything saloon-wise up to s-class merc - lwb even..

unkel: are you against estate/4x4s also? whats the budget?

geoff29 wrote: »
    Gold 'Plus' is a similar size.

I'm presuming you meant Golf Plus :D

I have one so, I guess a few comments come to mind -
    - yes, you probably will get two boosters and a baby seat in the back, but it will be tight
    - the boot space is good to excellent, given the sliding back seats - but with the back seat slid forward leg room (and hence space for you when getting kids in and out is tight.
    - It is higher and bigger than the Golf, but it isn't too obvious from the outside and the handling is good given it's bulk - but not as good as the Golf.

Like any other car your best bet would be to head out to a dealers with one and see how everything fits....

I like mine, but if I had three kids I think I'd be in the market for something bigger - just because I don't think I'd manage beyond short (less than an hour) trips with the Golf Plus.

Paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭stretchaq

why dont you go for an A4 and im not just saying it cause mine is for sale(too old for you anyway) but you could fit half of china in the boot!! back seat i would imagine is wide enough for three child seats the car is not blessed with rear legroom im 6,3" (but dont think that will effect the kids)would imagine its plenty wide

Even the new A4 has a smaller boot than a Passat, similar in size otherwise. Rear seats are designed for two adult arses, not 3 child seats. Getting buggies in and out of a saloon boot is a nightmare.

Zube wrote: »
    Even the new A4 has a smaller boot than a Passat, similar in size otherwise. Rear seats are designed for two adult arses, not 3 child seats. Getting buggies in and out of a saloon boot is a nightmare.

Yeah - I'd second that, I've had a few avant A4's as rentals in Germany over the last year and the back seat is tight with poor legroom. The boot is smaller than you'd expect too - three rollie bags and laptops and it was full. All in all I didn't think the interior space was any larger than my Golf Plus and the back seat seemed smaller (Every Audi I've been in seemed to have a huge amount of space for the driver and front-seat passanger at the expense of the back-seat passangers)

Paddy

ha yehh, meant Golf Plus..

Gold Plus would be a pretty cool name though.

'So, what do you drive?'
    'A Gold Plus-'
    'Woo, fancy..'
    'I know.'

Re the audi, yeh not a chance.. Maybe an A6 - but cmon audis, hard seats, they aren't family cars really. Agree about the buggies- Again the beauty of mpvs is that you can throw them in anywhere, even under the seats of some cars and straight into the cabin...

Get an MPV - and in 5 years time when some of the kids are a little bit older revert to a sports saloon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Her ideal car would be a span new 316.
    I know you're not really considering one but just as an fyi I don't think that'd suit her needs either. I've a 5 series (E60) and it'll just about take my 3 kids (4 months, 2 & 6) in the back with 2 in child seats and the 3rd without a booster as the booster just won't fit. Given that the 5 series is a tiny bit wider than the 3 series I'd say the 3 would be a real struggle with 3 kids.

Our other car is a Mazda 5 and that takes the 3 seats across the back a little bit better (can't use the back row at all if taking much stuff in the boot as there just isn't the room - where stuff == 2 buggies + whatever else may be needed). But again a booster seat won't fit if we're using that seating combination.

Car seats in question are Max Cosi Tobi & Maxi Cosi CabrioFix/EasyFix.

You'll be in for even more fun if you start looking for a car that'll take 3 iso fix seats across the back - that really limits your options.

I know someone who's got 3 in car seats in a Skoda Superb and it works well enough apart from scrapping their knuckles to bits trying to get a seat belt around the child in the booster in the middle.

Advertisement