Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting a luxury bus service?

Options
  • 06-06-2008 10:44am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 468 ✭✭

It's a rather vague question I konw, but if I wanted to start a luxury bus service for interurban routes in Ireland where would I start?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

Yep....that's a very vague question.

Can you provide any more info?
    Do you have any experience in running a public transport service?
    Are you aware of the legal requirements of running such a business?
    Do you have a public carriage licence?
    Do you have a qualified transport manager?

You need to research your market.....What/who are your competition?
    Is there a demand for such a service?
    Most people I know who use a bus service either because they haven't got a car or use the bus because it is a cheap form of transport.

I would guess that the luxury bus market would be a very small one and you would need to charge a lot of money to make a decent profit.

Do you think people will pay top rates for a luxury bus?

Even if there is a group of people wanting to go from....let's say Naas to Dublin for a concert.....there are plenty of minibus hire companies around and you will have to compete with them.

On the luxury side of things, there are also a lot of limo companies around with streched Hummers, Caddilac (spelling??) Escalades and the like which carry just as many people as a minibus. If people wan't to pay for a luxury ride they would probably go for something flashy like these huge American SUV limo's.

Sorry I can't be very positive but I think my comments are realistic.

The first rule of any business is research, research, research.....and just incase you're not sure...research some more.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 468 ✭✭trap4

keefg wrote: »
    Yep....that's a very vague question.

Sorry I can't be very positive but I think my comments are realistic.

No, that's fair enough, and thanks for trying to help. My question was vague because I don't have a clue about the transport business (though I do know how to run a company). It's really a 'scratch-an-itch' idea as I've been thinking more and more lately about the LimoLiner.com service in the States between Boston and New York. With the interurban motorways due for completion here in two years time and Irish Rail in denial of business people's needs (ie. no plans for wifi, totally undependable employees, horrible food/coffee, etc) I have to think there's a market for a business bus service between at least Cork/Limerick and Red Cow Luas. I know I'd gladly pay a premium for that kind of service myself,... thus the scrath-an-itch.

Sure, lots of research to be done but my googling was getting me nowhere fast so I said I'd ask here too. Any pointers to online resources would be greatly appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 thecola

Just to throw in an idea- I think there is a pottential just in a different way. I am not familiar with Irish Rail's policies and regulations, but in other countries you may rent the infrastructure from rail companies. Normally it's done for entertainment (say rent a train for some corporate event, party, etc) or otherway - you provide competitive service on some line which has a potential for better service that main company has no wish to spend their time/money on.
    So basically you should check out, if it's not possible that you rent/buy a wagon, or whole train, which you totally remodel, create normal interior, lcd's, ports, throw an internet antena on roof... technologies develop, and there are solution available. What clients would need - privacy, possibility to spend those 2-3 hours at work while working/resting. You cannot do it in the car, or in public area (like train in general).
    Why train over bus? It's fricking quicker and shakes less. I hate reading in bus, I'll throw up in 2 minutes, yet i've no motion sickness problem on rails.
    And imagine why M50 is the Dublin's biggest parking lot... What it takes to get in the end of the day out of dublin and by some (any) motorway to any other town.
    Trains have more potential.
    good luck anyway.

Advertisement