Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mobile broadband in cork

Options
  • 06-06-2008 11:08am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Was thinking of getting one of the broadband usb wireless modems from either o2,vodafone,or 3g for my laptop,Im living out in ballincollig and was just wondering if anybody from that area that has any of them could give me some feed back on them?

cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

ya i posted a topic there too asking which one was the best,but here i just wanted to know what coverage out in ballincollig was like :-).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

ya i posted a topic there too asking which one was the best,but here i just wanted to know what coverage out in ballincollig was like :-).

Its great, its even good out in farnanes believe it or not :) (with vodafone anyway) Three .. i'm not so sure

Mobile broadband sucks anyway, get real broadband on Cable or ADSL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

craichoe wrote: »
    Its great, its even good out in farnanes believe it or not :) (with vodafone anyway) Three .. i'm not so sure

Mobile broadband sucks anyway, get real broadband on Cable or ADSL

Some people need broadband on the go. Anyway OP, you can take O2 on a 30-day trial and if you don't like it you can bring it back. I have it and it has been ok so far, it depends on where I use it. When I use it at home (St Lukes) it can be dodgy but when I use it at work (Bishopstown) it unreal fast, so it depends on where you are.

Here is a speedtest I did in Bishoptown:

280988694.png

Bishopstown on O2 Broadband.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭AFC_1903

Vodaphone - Expensive, Slow, Low D/L limits but reliable
    3 - Crap, unusably slow at peak times - I put mine back, unusable at times
    O2 - Currently having a few bugs with modem firmware, but new patch out. Fast & cheap.

I'm with o2.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭AFC_1903

Just got firmware update - 02 is now hassle free! [touch wood!]

• Registered Users Posts: 10,959 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I've used other people's mobile broadband things, and the one thing i've noticed is that they can be very finiky with relation to their speeds. Was in a buddies house, if i sat on the left side of his couch internet speeds were dire, if i sat on the right hand side they were ok...

It all comes down to reception i suppose...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭corkie

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

would the o2 modem be ok for watching videos on youtube and other sites?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Not really .. mobile broadband is geared toward occasional emailing, internet surfing and stuff.

• Advertisement

ah might leave it so,the reason why i was gonna get it was so I could use the net in my room and did'nt have to go downstairs and plug into the switch box which is annoying as it disconnects me every so often and then my brother has to turn the modem on and off which makes him frustrated if hes playing an online game :rolleyes:,and he wont let me get a wireless router either :rolleyes:,ah well back to the drawing board then :pac:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

Yes, it is fine for watching videos. I really don't know what yer man is on about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

I have 3 and am in Ballincollig (Old Quarter).
    My service varies but in general is never great.
    It usually varies between 0kbps and 800kbps but spends much more time below 100kbps than above it!!

I reckon I'll be trading it in for Vodafone or O2 once my contract expires in a couple of months...

Advertisement