Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

which is the best?

Options
  • 06-06-2008 11:11am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Which do ye think is the best mobile broadband modem?o2 vodafone, 3g? was thinking of getting one,just wanted to know which is the best in terms of speed,reliabity download cap.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Most people here say O2's the best with Vodafone second and 3 so utterly useless that it shouldn't be inflicted on your worst enemy. Remember though any of these are designed for mobile use, they won't be near as good as fixed broadband, so unless you need it for mobility or can't get anything else you should steer clear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

The caps are pretty crap on all of them, O2's being the best at 10G with no immediate charge for going over. Price wise Three is cheapest, but generally very crap. Speeds will be variable on all of them, and there is absolutely no way that anyone can say, with any certainty, what your experience would be. It's simply not predictable.

If you must have mobility, or there are no alternatives, then I'd recommend O2. But exhaust all other possibilities first because broadband it ain't, no matter what the ads say. I do find mine very reliable, with fairly good speeds. Good depends on your location, and expectations, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Having experience all 3 operators (only limited experience with three), o2 wins my test, Voda 2nd and three 3rd. That's mixed use (primary access in rural areas. Backup access / mobile browsing/mail in urban areas / on the road). o2 also have EDGE which is a good bit faster (in practice, not just theory) than bare GPRS.

Meteor also have EDGE, I believe, but I've no experience of their mobile "broadband" offering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

3 is the worst by far,its slightly cheaper than the others but their network is saturated to the point of collapse at peak times,check out the thread i started last year about them,its been so popular its now called the megathread and is stickied at the top of the broadband page! and their service is as bad if not worse (probably worse actually)than it was nearly a year ago when it was launched
    avoid 3 like the plague basically!

Advertisement