Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

top 5 games

• 06-06-2008 11:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭

Got an xbox 360 last week with Dirt and Dead rising.
    I am a PC gamer mostly but what would you recommend as an essential 5 to have in my collection (also do xbox games work in the 360?)

Comments

I got Bioshock last week and haven't stopped playing it. Definitely recommended. Also, if you can't tell from the number of threads about it, COD4 is a must-have for the xbox live value.

Edit: Not all original xbox games work on the 360. You can find a list of games that do on xbox.com

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Slig wrote: »
    I am a PC gamer mostly but what would you recommend as an essential 5 to have in my collection (also do xbox games work in the 360?)
    Xbox origional games (most) work on 360 once you have a xbox live account, the compatible games list is HERE. My top 5? Well considering your a pc gamer (like myself), I'd suggest that if you already have a few good titles ie bioshock on pc, these games I've enjoyed on the xbox 360:
    * GTA4
    * Crackdown (Really underated game)
    * COD4 (Even if you played pc one, online play on this is good on xbox)
    * Gears of War (Can prob pick this up cheap now, great co op campaign if you have m8s on live and decent online)
    * The Darkness (I thought this was a good game!)

There my suggestions & most you'll be able to pick up cheaply ie crackdown, gears, the darkness etc... second hand.

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

Dont have an xbox live account(no broadband), is this needed to play the old xbox games?
    Lots of FPS/TPS there, I like you style:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

COD 4 - Probably the best FPS on 360
    GTA 4 - I'm sure you already have an idea of how good this is :)
    Saints Row - Found this very enjoyable, similar to GTA.
    Halo 3 - If you liked any of the first 2 halo games, you'll enjoy this.
    Stranglehold - Nice game to just pick up and play. Limb specific damage FTW!! :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Dont have an xbox live account(no broadband), is this needed to play the old xbox games?
    Lots of FPS/TPS there, I like you style:D
    http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/backwardscompatibility.htm

Looking on microsofts site it seems possible you can download the updates, burn them to a CD-r/RW and update that way, so yes it should be possible to run xbox origionals on a 360 without live :D

Nick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Hmm Essential 5 you wont find on the PC.

Crackdown defo.
    GTA IV.
    Suppose any sports game if your into them like.

Thats all i can think of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

PGR4
    Forza2
    Ace Combat
    Rainbow6 Vegas {found it better on 360}

GTA4 will hopefully be out on PC at some stage this year. {i'm holding out for it}

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭armour87

bioshockcover_2.jpg
    orange_box_360.jpg
    Call_of_Duty_2_cover.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭ballybay_eh

If you haven't already tried the Orange Box then you should do so. Immediately. The greatest gaming package ever.

Ehhh... Mass Effect is pretty good. Should be able to pick it up second hand. Same with Oblivion. Try to get the version with the add ons.

And Gears of War (excellent co-op) and bioshock (excellent single player).

Actually, all of them would be available a very reasonable prices second hand. Lucky you.

And if you're looking for original xbox games you should check this out: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055295391/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,800 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

1. Bioshock
    2. Castlevania Symphony of the Night
    3. Guitar Hero 3 (no money for rock band :( )
    4. Earth Defence Force
    5. CoD4

Worst: the Darkness, pure pants

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Orange Box
    Gears of War
    Oblivion
    Call of Duty4
    GTA IV

1.) Oblivion - Best RPG and all around best game ever!

2.) Gears of War - amazing 3rd person shooter and unique to the 360.

3.) Halo 3 - Not as good as COD4, but a good solid game, again just for 360.

4.) Assassin's Creed - another good sandbox game.

5.) COD 4 - Just play it, you'll understand...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 414 ✭✭Dicksboro_man

-Bioshock *no comment.Game of the Century for me
    -COD4 *the best for online gaming+great storyline
    -GH III(or IV etc) *super duper fun
    -PGR4 *the best racing game i've played
    -Rock Band:D *super duper fun number 2

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Forza, Mass Effect, Bioshock and curiously I burn more hours on Catan or Carcassonne then any of the others :)

Oh, Orange Box. Obv....

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Daithi412

GTA IV
    Half life orange box (portal is a bit like an orgasm)
    Call of duty 4
    Halo (but only if your playing online, call of duty will be a better shooter offline)
    Bioshock

i know those last three are shooters, but they really are the best things for xbox, if you dont want to get so many i would also reccomend eternal sonata, oblivion, pgr4, mass effect, rock band, gears of war and ninja gaiden.

your lucky, theres plenty of games out there!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 trb 93

1-guitar hero 3
    2-halo 3
    3-call of duty 4
    4-devil may cry 4
    5-madden 08

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭brennaldo

-halo3
    -gears of war(its a bit old now but its deadly)
    -call of duty 4
    -GTA 4
    -fifa 08

and ther are others......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

FIFA 08
    GTA 4
    Guitar Hero 2 (or 3)
    Halo 3
    Gears of War

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

CoD4
    Rainbow Six Vegas 2
    The Orange Box
    Lego Star Wars TCS
    Bioshock

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭rizzla

GTA IV
    Bioshock
    Skate - No ones mentioned it yet but I thought it was a brilliant use of the analog sticks and shat on Tony Hawks.
    Orange Box
    Crackdown

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,800 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Daithi412 wrote: »
    Halo (but only if your playing online, call of duty will be a better shooter offline)

CoD 4 kicks Halo 3's ass offline and online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

My fifty cents...

Gears of War
    Call of Duty 4
    BioShock
    Mass Effect
    The Orange Box (for Portal particularly)

Thanks for the replys guys, got Bioshock at the weekend and it ROCKS, scary as hell but a bit strange not using a mouse, COD will be the next purchase me thinks, I'll wait for GTA to come down in price (seen it in Liffeyvalley secondhand for 59 quid:eek:, whats the point?)

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

If you think Bioshock is scary, I strongly suggest you avoid Black and particularly Fear like the plague. :):)

DeV.

DeVore wrote: »
    If you think Bioshock is scary, I strongly suggest you avoid Black and particularly Fear like the plague. :):)

DeV.

Had fear on the PC And I didnt find it too shocking, probably because I knew something was going to happen as the game majorly slowed down before any action:D. But seriously the scary thing is trying to aim with a joystick instead of the mouse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

Back on topic!

GTA4 (the level of detail is mind blowing)
    Crackdown (very clever, fun and addictive game that has essentially thrown all of the sandbox rules out the window)
    The Orange Box (value for money +++ all of the game and episodes are amazing)
    Assasin's Creed (I love this game...just the sheer cockyness of this game and where they're going with the storyline <3)
    COD4 (best FPS experience you're gonna get on the 360)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Moon

The best 5 games I've played are.....

In no particular order!

GTA IV
    COD IV
    Bioshock
    RSV 1
    PES 6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

kyub wrote: »
    GTA4 (the level of detail is mind blowing)
    Crackdown (very clever, fun and addictive game that has essentially thrown all of the sandbox rules out the window)
    The Orange Box (value for money +++ all of the game and episodes are amazing)
    Assasin's Creed (I love this game...just the sheer cockyness of this game and where they're going with the storyline <3)
    COD4 (best FPS experience you're gonna get on the 360)

Good choices, I'd pretty much go with all of those for a top five!

For racing games, Burnout Paradise & Race Driver:Grid are brilliant!

Advertisement