Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice on lane swimming&how to build endurance/fitness

• 06-06-2008 11:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Im new to these boards,only found out they existed recently.
    Im swimming for alongtime,since i was very young on and off.im 28 now and i suppose i need to start looking after myself&my health/fitness and want to get fit and lose the pot belly:D
    After a visit to the doctors recently i was told i had slighty high blood pressure so i need to start swimming more regulary.
    I swam with a club when i was a child and had a brief stint with the cork masters recently but i couldnt commit because of the shifts that i work in my job:(

Anyway im looking for some advice on how to improve my fitness in lane swimming instead of just swimming up&down aimlessly.
    thanks for the advice in advance

P.s remember im only a begginer so take it easy on me;)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

start with what you can do at a push, If you can still swim a 200m (8 lengths) frontcrawl, then thats where you start. Do one of those as a warm up, get your breath back, do a few gentle stretches and then do one flat out. Time it. Use that as your base time, From then on you can structure all of your frontcrawl sets on that basis. Your aim will be to hold 75% of that 200m pace for all of the distances you cover, When that gets too easy (4-5 weeks) then you do another 200m timed swim and adjust accordingly.
    Remember the progress will seem fast at first and will get less and less noticeable for a few weeks and will take a little jump again so don't get impatient, Give it 6 months and you will see the difference.
    The same can be done for the other 3 strokes, do one per session for the next 4 and you can build nice varied sets, you can get away with a 50m Butterfly time.
    after the first few weeks you should increase your warm-up time up to the 10-15 minute scale as your muscles will adjust quite fast (in my experience)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭Clseeper

If it's just for your fitness then start out quite easy. The ideal aerobic training zone is only after ~20 minutes so you don't want to be in bits before you even reach that. The swimming from a younger age should stand to you. It's still quite vague what level you swam at? Where you in a club or just learnt to swim? If you were in competitive club and understand AngryHippie's post then it's a good starting point. You can get back to us for more varied sets when you get up to speed. Also the advice goes for the shorter distances as-well.

I'd try the masters again. From what I've found they're very flexible. Even if you can't make it for two weeks at a time. I know my own club here in Dublin let you just pay per session you do. That way I can train myself in the weeks I can't make their sessions. I find it a much better motivator to have the social side and also to be training with other people who will push you.

For the belly, there's no such thing as targeted fat loss so it'll just be all round cardio for you :p
    Having said that, toning can really help definition when you get to the lower body fat percentages. That means a good bit of butterfly kick.

Advertisement