Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths paper 1...wat ye think??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭tasha1

Big Ears wrote: »
    tan 135 degress = -1 , therefore the tangent was = -1 .

So answer from the bit before = -1 and work from there .

I don't think you could use Pythagoras's theorem Fitzo it was an isosceles triangle .

Would It Have Been Necessary To Do Trig To Answer That?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭NervyChick

It was grand but now that i think back i think i left a bit early... Half eleven????? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Fitzo

It been an isosceles triangle and having the base you can split it into 2, making a right angled triangle and then getting the unknown side - the perpendicular height.

Bingo.

leaving you with a^2 + x^2 = x^2 +1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭tasha1

Hehe I Brought Mine Out.

Equally Screwed For Both Of Them..

Haven't Even Started Bio..

Yeah He Txt Me Awhile Ago, Said It Was Diff To Other Years!!

Go To The History Thread!!

Pat Said Anymore? :]

Did most people get 36% as the actual mark on 1 (c)(ii)?

Think I got it right?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

Maths is the exam I plan on being able to toss aside anyway (Am I correct in saying its not recquired for Arts in Maynooth?) but I did no study for it in the slightest and went in with the aim of simply not failing.

I'd need to do dire in Paper II now to fail, and I think PII is alright to be honest. Maths though is not a part of my overall plan for the LC.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I struggled a bit with OL but on my second go around the questions some parts just clicked, like that feckin triangle for example.
    For question 7 (the distance/speed/time part) did anyone get the same answer for part (i) and (iii) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Bambi16

Pat has said no more I'll be up to him on Sunday

Well he said know the respiration exp inside out and the heart/blood?

The history thread, too many people giving diff views?
    Im gonna go with - Parnell, Congress, Cultural, Treaty and maybe Sinn Fein?
    Europe - Hitlers foreign policy, Church relations, Muss rise to power and Show trials!

First history exmas in 6 yrs and we dont what coming up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 PeteZahut

Q1 (a)138.75 (b)(i)68km/hr (ii)48mins (iii)13mins (c)(i)E123.66 (ii)36% Q2(a)7 (b)(i)2+- sq 3 (ii)4 (c)(i)(x+2)(x+2) (ii)2x-1 (iii) 1>or equalsx>or equals to 0 Q3(a)x=5-8(div)a (b)(i)(5,4)(5,6) (c)(i)b=2 c=3 (ii)x+1(defo wrong) Q4(a)(i)u=3-4i (ii)u+5i=3+i (b)(i)-21+20i (ii)29=29 (c)(i)k=2 (ii)didnt get it Q5(a)95 (b)(i)one ninth (ii)3e (iii)t8 (c)9i)d=-2 (ii)Tn=-13+(n-1)-2 (iii)dont know what is it

Q7(a)(i07x^6...(ii)5-12x^3....(b)(i)-9x^2-2x+12=0....(ii)-16.....(c)(i)405m....(ii)20m/s.....(iii)425m

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Bambi16

1cii how do you get the 36% I got half of it and got stuck

12 is the nearest multiple of 10 to 123.66...minus d 1 cent dat is 119.99...dat is 121% divid%e by 121 and multiply by 100...dat gives you 99.165......take dat from d 73 and dat is ur mark up...dat leaves 26.125 put dat over 73 and multiply by 100 and you get 35.84%...rounded off dat is 36

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Stressed!

LOVED it...............sooooooooooooo easy!!:pac::pac::p

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭aleyra

pretty happy with this exam ,couple of parts that went a bit wrong, but thats where the good old attempt marks come in handy!
    hope paper II is just as good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭jessie11

Fitzo wrote: »
    Did most people get 36% as the actual mark on 1 (c)(ii)?

Think I got it right?

i tink i got dat ...not sure coz i tried it a few ways

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

In b iii,is the question asking how much longer does the journey take compared to the start.Or after the 28 km section,how much longer does the journey take.

I got 36% also but a few of my friends said 35%

titan18 wrote: »
    In b iii,is the question asking how much longer does the journey take compared to the start.Or after the 28 km section,how much longer does the journey take.

I got 36% also but a few of my friends said 35%

They probably rounded down instead of up.

its how long did the 28km take dat day wen she reduced d speed

jessie11 wrote: »
    its how long did the 28km take dat day wen she reduced d speed

I'm on about the 3rd part,not the 2nd one.

I'm on about the 3rd part,not the 2nd one.
    sorry...i tink it ment the whole journey compared 2 start

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Does anyone remember how Q. 6 c) went? They wouldnt let me take the paper

sorry...i tink it ment the whole journey compared 2 start

Ah damn,stupid phrasing.I went the other way.If i miss out on a grade change cos of that,I'll be very annoyed and I'll be getting on to whoever sets this damn paper for not specifying it.

Although,I dont plan to use Maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭La0Fruitcake

im not reading any more of this forum!!!!! lol its depressing me!!! i mean seriously i completly made a big screwup of it......oh god...gonna need a lot of pratice to do well in paper two.....cant believe people tought it was easy.....now i feel more stupid!!!!:confused::pac:

Does anyone remember how Q. 6 c) went? They wouldnt let me take the paper

f(x)= xsquared - x
    1- xcubed

(i)find f'(x) derivative of f(x)

(ii)show that the tangent to the curve y=f(x) at the point (0,0) makes an angle of 135 degrees with the positive sense of the x axis

:o

im not reading any more of this forum!!!!! lol its depressing me!!! i mean seriously i completly made a big screwup of it......oh god...gonna need a lot of pratice to do well in paper two.....cant believe people tought it was easy.....now i feel more stupid!!!!:confused::pac:

why,waht did u do wrong

Ah damn,stupid phrasing.I went the other way.If i miss out on a grade change cos of that,I'll be very annoyed and I'll be getting on to whoever sets this damn paper for not specifying it.

Although,I dont plan to use Maths.

yea readin it now i tink i answered it wrong...i tink i just wrote den the new time and not how much longer it was compared 2 d other hmmmm

f(x)= xsquared - x
    1- xcubed

(i)find f'(x) derivative of f(x)

(ii)show that the tangent to the curve y=f(x) at the point (0,0) makes an angle of 135 degrees with the positive sense of the x axis

:o

Thanks.... yeah got that one wrong...!

yea readin it now i tink i answered it wrong...i tink i just wrote den the new time and not how much longer it was compared 2 d other hmmmm

Yeah I think I did the same. Not sure. I remember thinking in the exam that it said how much "longer" but I can't remember if I wrote it down or not... :confused:

I've got a feeling that teachers may give out about it and everybody gets the marks for it as long as it was attempted

• Advertisement

Thanks.... yeah got that one wrong...!

yea i tink i got part 2 wrong...im so glad i dropped down to ordinary i would have died doin the honours...i was lookin at it after n cudn understand any of it:eek:

Advertisement