Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths paper 1...wat ye think??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭jessie11

titan18 wrote: »
    I've got a feeling that teachers may give out about it and everybody gets the marks for it as long as it was attempted

yea its kinda a trick question...teacher said 2 me tho if alot of ppl are gettin the same question wrong they reduce the marks for it and add them on 2 d other parts

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

jessie11 wrote: »
    yea its kinda a trick question...teacher said 2 me tho if alot of ppl are gettin the same question wrong they reduce the marks for it and add them on 2 d other parts

I think they mark all the papers and then depending on the curve adjust the marking scheme like that. They have to regulate the A-rate etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭armbruster

Mixed feelings on how I did. Quite a few tricky bits indeed - question 6 with the tangent at 135 degrees - ridiculous for ordinary level, I just had to make up something to get the attempt mark!

Just looking over the paper now, if anyone has any free time -

what did y'all get for 1 (c), dropping it to €119.99 worked out at 35.9 percent for me????????

2 (b)ii x=4 yeh?
    2 (c)iii x=3????

3(b)ii -5, -19??
    3(b)ii works out as 1 via pythagoras?

Cheers!

armbruster wrote: »
    Mixed feelings on how I did. Quite a few tricky bits indeed - question 6 with the tangent at 135 degrees - ridiculous for ordinary level, I just had to make up something to get the attempt mark!

Just looking over the paper now, if anyone has any free time -

what did y'all get for 1 (c), dropping it to €119.99 worked out at 35.9 percent for me????????

2 (b)ii x=4 yeh?
    2 (c)iii x=3????

3(b)ii -5, -19??

Cheers!

36% for 1c

i dnt tink i got 3 for ciii....wat did u do for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭TX123

IMO they have really dropped the standard of the maths Leaving cert paper. It doesnt let you apply your understanding of the subject. Im in 3rd yr maths in college and the standard of maths in first year college is such a shock compared to the LC. There dumbing it down so people can get high grades yet there is no increase in jobs in that field

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 PeteZahut

i got -11 and -41 for Q3 (b)(ii)....anybody else

Fitzo wrote: »
    Did most people get 36% as the actual mark on 1 (c)(ii)?

Think I got it right?
    I got 36 yeh (35.9 rounded off)

the adjusted price is 119.99

TX123 wrote: »
    IMO they have really dropped the standard of the maths Leaving cert paper. It doesnt let you apply your understanding of the subject. Im in 3rd yr maths in college and the standard of maths in first year college is such a shock compared to the LC. There dumbing it down so people can get high grades yet there is no increase in jobs in that field

i dont agree 2bh...the honours is as hard as ever and they aint dumbing it down..i bet if you were doing you leaving now you'd find it hard...every1 says the same after they done it already...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Cheers!

That's what I got! My maths teacher did the method after the exam and it was what I did.

PeteZahut wrote: »
    Q1 (a)138.75 (b)(i)68km/hr (ii)48mins (iii)13mins (c)(i)E123.66 (ii)36% Q2(a)7 (b)(i)2+- sq 3 (ii)4 (c)(i)(x+2)(x+2) (ii)2x-1 (iii) 1>or equalsx>or equals to 0 Q3(a)x=5-8(div)a (b)(i)(5,4)(5,6) (c)(i)b=2 c=3 (ii)x+1(defo wrong) Q4(a)(i)u=3-4i (ii)u+5i=3+i (b)(i)-21+20i (ii)29=29 (c)(i)k=2 (ii)didnt get it Q5(a)95 (b)(i)one ninth (ii)3e (iii)t8 (c)9i)d=-2 (ii)Tn=-13+(n-1)-2 (iii)dont know what is it

sorry 1 part iii, is that not 23 minutes. Usually takes 75 minutes, now takes 98 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 PeteZahut

sorry 1 part iii, is that not 23 minutes. Usually takes 75 minutes, now takes 98 minutes.

yeah actually just worked it out dere...dont know how i got 13

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Bambi16

Anyone have an answer for the last part in question 8? The one with finding the value of C?

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭lauratkd

As a teacher of Higher Level Maths I thought paper 1 was fair - nice even!!! There were definitely some tricky parts in it that will test the talented students but if the weaker students managed to keep their heads and not get too bogged down with the tricky bits, it was passable!

As for the Ordinary paper, I haven't done the whole lot yet but it was kind of a tricky paper in my opinion. Again definitely some lovely little bits that should hopefully make it passable for everyone!

My only advice for Paper 2 is not to panic. If Paper 1 did not go well, study over the weekend obviously, but keep your head in the exam. Every paper will have things that you will find hard. If you come across bits like that, skip them and find a bit you can do. Any don't do the whole "OMG i can't do any of this". There will always be some bits you can do, even if they are only small parts.

one more little bit of advice; try not to do too much of a postmortem afterwards, it will not help if you think you did well then find out lots of your answers are different to other peoples. Nothing you can do afterwards anyway. Also a wrong answer may only mean you made a slip (-1 mark) during the question and you could still be on 9 out of ten. You just don't know and you can't fix it anyway!!

Also, NEVER leave anything blank. It can be very very easy to get attempt marks in Maths and believe they add up! Could make the difference between and pass and fail.

Good Luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭La0Fruitcake

titan18 wrote: »
    why,waht did u do wrong

tch everything!!!! the stuff i had studied came up the same way in the questions but for sum reason i just blanked:( think it was the lack of sleep....

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

lauratkd wrote: »
    As a teacher of Higher Level Maths I thought paper 1 was fair - nice even!!! There were definitely some tricky parts in it that will test the talented students but if the weaker students managed to keep their heads and not get too bogged down with the tricky bits, it was passable!

As for the Ordinary paper, I haven't done the whole lot yet but it was kind of a tricky paper in my opinion. Again definitely some lovely little bits that should hopefully make it passable for everyone!

My only advice for Paper 2 is not to panic. If Paper 1 did not go well, study over the weekend obviously, but keep your head in the exam. Every paper will have things that you will find hard. If you come across bits like that, skip them and find a bit you can do. Any don't do the whole "OMG i can't do any of this". There will always be some bits you can do, even if they are only small parts.

one more little bit of advice; try not to do too much of a postmortem afterwards, it will not help if you think you did well then find out lots of your answers are different to other peoples. Nothing you can do afterwards anyway. Also a wrong answer may only mean you made a slip (-1 mark) during the question and you could still be on 9 out of ten. You just don't know and you can't fix it anyway!!

Also, NEVER leave anything blank. It can be very very easy to get attempt marks in Maths and believe they add up! Could make the difference between and pass and fail.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭wardides

i left the first Q to last as it was the easiest..saying that took me about 5 mins to figure out that you had to put the distance over time you had the change the time to a decimal..was tryna divide by 75mins..felt like such a fool after!!went ok for me..got 50 out of 50 defo in complex numbers and Q 1..maybe differentiation aswell..not overly happy nor overly dissapointed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 gillie2008

im not sure hw i did i found it fairly tricky i dnt tink il get much more den 40% evn if i do pass hope paper 2 is nicer:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭....shell....

i done horribly in it it couldnt have gone worse

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭LayLay

I thought overall, it was an alright paper. Part C's caused a few minor problems. Not looking for an A, so not too worried if I don't get all the C's.

Q1 - Grand. Part C was a bit iffy though.
    Q2 - Again grand. Attempted the part C but doubt I got any right, lol.
    Q3 - Worst question for me. :( I totally forgot how to do the part B.
    Q4 - Great, but I think I got the very last bit wrong. Solve for s & t.
    Q5 - Grand but the last part in C was hard. I got -1.21 :rolleyes:
    Q7 - Great, as usual for me :) Again, the last part caused a problem. I got -180! :confused:

A lot of study needed for paper 2 though. I suck at paper 2!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

I did 1,2,3,4,6,7 and a bit of 8.

Q1 was handy, took me a while to get out C I(I)
    O2 Was grand until the last two parts of part C but ill get attempt marks
    Q3 like question 2 is was grand up until the very last part
    Q4 its was all lovely
    Q6 Lovely question except for the very last part
    Q7 fairly handy but messed up the one with the flare, felt like such a fool after and I practised so many of them
    Q8 Got the 1st 3 parts right then gave up, this wont be counted im sure

Overall I'm fairly pleased but felt I should of done better in places.
    I'll definitely get attempt marks in some part c's that I didnt fully get out so hoping for a B.
    The exam took longer than I thought it would finished 20mins early compared to the exam papers which I could do in no time.

Ill spend a lot of time going over paper two at the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Bambi16

What answer did people get for 8vi, the value of c?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

2 was my random guess.But theres a thread on this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

A lot of my mates are very panicy now looking back on the test today, as said above the attempt marks are a godsend. If you were to get a couple of As and Bs correct, maybe even pull of parts of the Cs and take a stab at most of the paper- you'll be fine.

Theres one sure way to fail maths, its called a blank page.

*chilllllll*

• Registered Users Posts: 34 x-katz-x

I thought overall it was grand with a few tricky bits bt i attempted them anyways so i'll at least get marks for that. I did 1,2,3,4,5,7 and 6 bar the last part of c. I got stuck on that triangle question then it hit me to half it and use pythagoras' theorem so im glad that end bit one worked out anyways!

Could someone please post answers for question 2, 3 and 6 on the ordinary paper?
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭laura*

Q1 c-iii

i got 169.99 i think?
    anyone second it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Yggdrasill

tch everything!!!! the stuff i had studied came up the same way in the questions but for sum reason i just blanked:( think it was the lack of sleep....

Exactly the same as me. I am going to have to do really well in paper 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 xox Sarah xox

Yggdrasill wrote: »
    Exactly the same as me. I am going to have to do really well in paper 2

same here, I just keep it in my mind that f I fail maths Il have to repeat and that, that just would drive anyone insane to have to do it all over again!!

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Kazbah

PeteZahut wrote: »
    Q1 (a)138.75 (b)(i)68km/hr (ii)48mins (iii)13mins (c)(i)E123.66 (ii)36% Q2(a)7 (b)(i)2+- sq 3 (ii)4 (c)(i)(x+2)(x+2) (ii)2x-1 (iii) 1>or equalsx>or equals to 0 Q3(a)x=5-8(div)a (b)(i)(5,4)(5,6) (c)(i)b=2 c=3 (ii)x+1(defo wrong) Q4(a)(i)u=3-4i (ii)u+5i=3+i (b)(i)-21+20i (ii)29=29 (c)(i)k=2 (ii)didnt get it Q5(a)95 (b)(i)one ninth (ii)3e (iii)t8 (c)9i)d=-2 (ii)Tn=-13+(n-1)-2 (iii)dont know what is it

Q1 biii 23 minutes
    Q2 cii 2x + 3
    Q2 ciii 3
    Q3 a x = (8-5a)/a
    Q3 bi (4, 3) (-3, -4)
    Q3 bii -5 or 9
    Q3 ci b=4 c=3
    Q3 cii 1
    Q4 ci s=36 t=2
    Q5 biii k=7
    Q5 ci a=-15 d=2
    Q5 ci Tn = -17 + 2n
    Q5 cii n = 7 or 9
    Q7 ai 7x^6
    Q7 aii 5 - 12x^3
    Q7 bi -9x^2 -2x +12
    Q7 bii -16
    Q7 ci 405m
    Q7 cii 20m/s
    Q7 ciii 425m

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 michaelkhan3

Flyer1 wrote: »
    Good fair paper, nice and simple. That Q1 part b had me thinking for a few minutes though, lol, how the simple things catch you out.

The same thing happened to me. I couldnt believe it when I looked at it again

Advertisement